Finding Duplicate Images

Paul Barrett

A bit off topic but I am scanning thousands of negatives and prints and I know there are duplicates, but finding them and figuring out which is the best resolution is a pain in the butt.

Then I found an app that does it called, with dogmatic precision if no pizazz:

Visual Similarity Duplicate Image Finder

Thought you might be interested

• Upvote 1

VisiPics seems to be quite fast and its specialty is to find similar pictures. You can set a filter between "strict" and "loose" to specify the level of similarity. After you found those similar pictures, you see the thumbnails side by side and can either delete or move one. Hoovering the mouse over one of the thumbnails, shows it in the preview window and a right click there, shows it in full size. <br><br>I did not find a way to compare the duplicates visually in preview or full size though - you always see only one of them at a time. So it seems your point "figuring out which is the best resolution" cannot be easily solved and we are probably better off with Damion's "Find Duplicates" and "Compare items".

So it seems your point "figuring out which is the best resolution" cannot be easily solved and we are probably better off with Damion's "Find Duplicates" and "Compare items".

Yes, but only to a point.

Correct me if i am wrong but although find duplicates is excellent for finding copies of the same file name in different locations, it is not going to find visually similar images with different file names?

And before you can use compare you first have to select some items to compare?

My issue is that I know I have visually similar or identical items with different names in different locations and I need help to find them.

- Paul

it is not going to find visually similar images with different file names?

My understanding is, the file names can be different. For example I found files xxxx.jpg and xxxx_1.jpg in the same folder, as well as identical file names in different folders. But I don't know, how different they can be visually, e.g. same picture but different resolution or two separate scans of the same picture or scans of two paper prints of the same photograph.

I just noticed all "unknown media types" (.GPX in my case) appear in the duplicates. This kind of proves also that file names can be different, but also makes the process more complicated for me, since I cannot exclude the .GPX from the "Duplicates" saved search, so I ended up, putting them all into a collection and then removing .GPX from there before proceeding.

And before you can use compare you first have to select some items to compare?

True and this makes it difficult to work with many duplicates, if file sizes and names are different. If they are truly identical but have different names, you can sort by file size (the default in the "Duplicates" saved search) and very likely you will see the pairs close to each other, if not side by side. To find those with identical names (but possibly different sizes), you sort by file name.

My understanding is, the file names can be different. For example I found files xxxx.jpg and xxxx_1.jpg in the same folder, as well as identical file names in different folders. But I don't know, how different they can be visually, e.g. same picture but different resolution or two separate scans of the same picture or scans of two paper prints of the same photograph.

I think it's doing a partial match on the file names but it's definitely not doing any for, of visual analysis. I just found two copies the same picture in the same folder with completely different filenames and, as I kind of expected, they were not identified as duplicates.

I'm fine with that. The ability to flag duplicates by file name is very useful in its own right and I can use other apps to do the visual comparison

- Paul