Daminion Server or Standalone

Paul Barrett

I am making good progress with my project to transfer media file management to Daminion but publish via my Synology NAS Photostation app. I am a single user currently using the standalone version.

One irritating little issue is that I sometimes see bad tags when I am in the Synology Photo Station web view, and it is or would be very convenient to be able to correct those errors in Photo Station. Currently if I do so I have to remember which images I updated and then go mirror the changes in Daminion.

From what I have read so far i understand that Daminion Server has a Watching Service that would pick up these changes automatically and update the Daminion Catalogue.

So, I am thinking of using the following setup. Am I on the right track or have I gone insane?

1. Install Damionion Server on my Desktop PC

2. Make the target folder for image storage the NAS drive

3. Enable the watch service

I think I know most of the answers to these questions but I would like to double-check please:

a) Is this doable?

b) Can I locate the catalogue on the NAS drive too?

c) With the server app installed on my desktop PC the watching service will stop when I sleep or power down the PC. Will it just resume when I take it out of sleep mode or power it up?

d) Presumably there is no issue converting the standalone catalogue to a server version (or are they the same)?

e) I am a licensed user of the standalone i.e. I don't use the free version. Can I get a trial version of the server version so I can try before buying?

Thanks for your help

- Paul

Hello Paul,

a) Is this doable?

The scheme described above will be workable in the new Daminion version. There was an issue with auto-rescanning net folders in 1481 build.

b) Can I locate the catalogue on the NAS drive too?

No, sorry, it is not possible. Shared catalogs are located where Daminion server is istalled.

c) With the server app installed on my desktop PC the watching service will stop when I sleep or power down the PC. Will it just resume when I take it out of sleep mode or power it up?

Yes, files watching service is automatically lauched when powering the PC up or taking it out of sleep mode.

d) Presumably there is no issue converting the standalone catalogue to a server version (or are they the same)?

You will need to create a shared catalog and import your local catalog there via File > Import > Daminion local catalog

e) I am a licensed user of the standalone i.e. I don't use the free version. Can I get a trial version of the server version so I can try before buying?

Sure, you can test Daminion server for free during 30 days. Please wait for 5.0 Daminion beta version, it will be published here on the forum in a couple of days (auto-rescan bug is fixed in this version)

Daria

Hi Daria

Thanks for the responses.

Can't wait for the new release!

What's the cost of upgrading from single user standalone to single user server please? In GBP please.

- Paul

Hi Paul,

What Daminion Stadalone version do you use and what server version are you planning to upgrade to (Pro server or Home server for one concurrent connection)? The cost will be the difference in price.

Daria