Moving Local Catalog Into The Server

wabrou

There are several ways to migrate your Daminion local catalog to Daminion

Server:

1. Open a shared catalog and go to the main menu:

File > Import > Daminion Shared Catalog (.dmc)

2. Open local and shared catalogs in Daminion Standalone version.

Select all files and navigate to Move To > Shared Catalog option from

the context menu. File > Import from Standalone

3. Daminion can automatically sync all of your annotations (tags) into

the file metadata (for JPEG, TIFF, PSD, PNG, etc...). So once the sync

process will be done you can just import your images from local

catalog to Daminion Server. All tags embedded into the metadata will

be automatically extracted. Doesn't work for some file formats like BMP.

4. Via CSV

• 2 years later...

1. Open a shared catalog and go to the main menu: File > Import > Daminion Shared Catalog (.dmc)

2. Open local and shared catalogs in Daminion Standalone version. Select all files and navigate to Move To > Shared Catalog option from the context menu. File > Import from Standalone

3. Daminion can automatically sync all of your annotations (tags) into the file metadata (for JPEG, TIFF, PSD, PNG, etc...). So once the sync process will be done you can just import your images from local catalog to Daminion Server. All tags embedded into the metadata will be automatically extracted. Doesn't work for some file formats like BMP.

I am currently trying to migrate from a standalone to server catalog using Daminion 6.0 (1819). Regarding the methods to migrate the database mentionied by Murat, I have the following issues and comments:

Method 1:

Seems to be the simplest way to do it and it did work for me with an older and smaller catalog, the most current catalog (175k items! - mostly JPG) I consistently get the error message "Cannot get file ids (timeout)":post-1805-0-53548800-1535279798_thumb.png

Method 2:

The Move option not only copies the selected media items to another catalog (server or standalone), but also deletes it from the source catalog. Therefore don't forget to create a backup copy of the catalog before starting the process. When you start the client on the same computer where the Daminion server is running and open the server catalog, you see the same catalog twice: - localhost/netcatalog (the term localhost exactly as written here, netcatalog can be different, if you created more than one catalog on the server)- myserver/netcatalog (myserver = the name of your server)When you import from a standalone catalog, it does make a difference, which of one the above you the select to access the new server catalog:

Choosing localhost/netcatalog means your media (images ... etc) stay in the same folder where they currentöy are, but if you choose myserver/netcatalog, they will be copied to the Folder to store uploaded files (by default C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\Daminion Software\Daminion\Daminion Server Files if I remember correctly). The latter not only wasts disk space but also increases the time to migrate significantly and is probably not what you wanted anyway.Not sure, if this also happens, with method 1.

When you choose to move the items, you first need to select the files. Remember, you can only select the items on the thumbnail page and size of the page is limited to a value between 200 and 5000 files per page. The value can be changed by selecting Edit->Preferences->General>Filse per Page , but I did not find a way to select mor than 5000 files, which means in my case, I need to repeat this process 35 times!Since 26 hours ago, I moved ~15k items, i.e. less than 10% of my entire catalog! Make the maths, how much I can test within the six day trial period. For sure not the full catalog!

One more thing:On the web page How to Configure Daminion Server Service I found the statement "Check to make sure that the Daminion Server service account user has read/write permissions to access Documents in network locations. By default, Daminion Server is installed as a Local System account user with no access to network resources." In my case, I even needed to provide user Id and password even to access the media on the local system. Strangely, I was able to import items from some folders, but not from some others on the same drive.Why I mention this? The move-process as described above, does not give you any error message, if the server cannot access the media folder. It tells you even 5000 "Move 5000 of 5000 items", but when you open the server catalog, you find only some of the images.

Furthermore, after you found the reason and corrected it (by logging in the Daminion Server Service) and want to try again, the first hurdle is the items have been removed from the standalone catalog - fine, I have a backup copy. But then, trying again to move those items, it tells you "Some items could not be moved, because they are already." (even though they are not!). So I ended up creating another netserver1 catalog. This all did cost about one day out of the six day trial!