New Server Help

sheriffpat

Hello all. New user of Daminion and I'm looking at purchasing Daminion Server for the "home" application where I have one installation on my home network for management of our familiy's digital assets. I have downloaded the server version and attempting to setup a trial version and test the application on our home network and access the catalogs via multiple users on multiple computers and having assets stored on a variety of media including: local storage on the computer housing the server application and database, NAS or shared network disk space(s), or other storage devices including mobile USB or eSATA storage locations. I do not expect to have any more concurrent users than myself (95%+ of the time), and my college age daughter occasionally when I am away or perhaps while I am home at the same time. My wife is not about to wade into this realm without my direct involvement and coaching (lol), so any concurrent users greater than 2 is not a possibility.

My questions are these:

1 - How to I configure the server installation on the "home" computer where the Daminion server software will reside so that as long as the "home" computer is powered on, all other network accessible devices will be able to access the shared catalog(s) available through this main computer? I have seen the youtube videos from DaminionDean about "Learn Daminion 3: - Part 2 most notably for advanced setup and understand the concept of "log on as a service", but am unsure if the computer has to be powered on and if the user account has to be logged in for other users or other network computers to be able to access the software and catalogs.

2 - My use application for the Daminion installation will be one of a home network where the assets reside in their storage locations on the network, but some of the storage locations will be mobile (external hard drives or laptops with internal storage) and may or may not be present when others are accessing the application or shared catalogs. What impact will this have for mobile users who are not "plugged in" to the network and the main catalogs are not accessible? What impact will this have on users who are at "home" and the mobile assets are not present on the network?

I have searched the user forums and looked at the youtube resources from DaminionDean over and over, and while very well done, don't seem to answer my use application.

thank you!

SPG

2 - My use application for the Daminion installation will be one of a home network where the assets reside in their storage locations on the network, but some of the storage locations will be mobile (external hard drives or laptops with internal storage) and may or may not be present when others are accessing the application or shared catalogs. What impact will this have for mobile users who are not "plugged in" to the network and the main catalogs are not accessible? What impact will this have on users who are at "home" and the mobile assets are not present on the network?

Hello SPG,

wellcome to the Daminion Forum.

I'll try to answer to the second topic first from my point of view.

The general question is: how many catalogs do you want to have AND where are/is the catalog(s).

Where are/is the catalog(s) is a license topic. I guess one can install Daminion Server on one PC/Laptop. That means this is THE central server for you and the catalog(s) and should be always "ON". Installing the server on additional devices needs additional licenses. But this must be discussed with Daminion. I don't want to describe at the moment the advantages/disadvantages of multiple server installations.

The number of shared catalogs depends on your organisation: one central catalog vs. theme dependent catalogs (photos, movies, audio,...) or maybe each person has additionally its own shared catalog.

The clients can be installed on any local or remote PC/Laptop and have the access to the server catalog(s) and/or their own local catalogs on the remote device.

The next question is: where are the files? The best performance recommended by Daminion is to have the files on a network share in the server PC. That guarantees that the files are always allocated to the items in the catalog. Having the files on a second device, independent on the server, means: this device must be "ON". If "OFFLINE" you can browse in your catalog(s) and work with it but you don't have access to the files. All your activities in the catalog regarding the files (new tags, etc) will be kept in a queue as long as the remote files are accessible - "plugged in". Check the "synchronisation" action please.

All of my files are on a central NAS the catalog is on the server PC. That means the server PC and the NAS have to be "ON". The other PC/Laptops have the client installed and don't have own catalogs and files. This minimizes the backup szenario for me - only the server and the NAS are part of the backup. The "remote" devices don't need a backup - from the Daminion point of view - they don't have critical data relevant for Daminion.

Regards, Uwe

• Upvote 1