A few Items I noticed

pgrondin

I am currently running the Client and Server on my desktop, and the Client on the laptop.

Here are a few observations. They may overlap to some extent with observations by other people.

Overall I find the Server fast and stable ( for a few hours of testing at least).

An attempt to “Check out” a file results in a message “The method or operation is not implemented”

When I make changes on one machine, the changes do not appear on the second machine till the focus comes back to the photo that has been changed. This is potentially confusing if two or more people are working on the same set of photos. I would assume that once "Check Out" is implemented, this will be the way to avoid problems, at least for disciplined users.

When I attempt to create a new shared catalog (NewCat), Daminion created the new catalog, but with the same contents as the default NetCatalog. Adding files to the NewCat also adds them to NetCatalog. It appears to be two names, one catalog. The “Name” can even be different on the two machines.

I tried adding some files from the laptop to the server catalog from the server machine. I checked off the “Upload files to the Server” box, but it does not appear that the files were actually copied to the server. The Properties - “Folder” still shows the original location, and C:ProgramDataDaminion SoftwareDaminion ServerData is empty.

On the Server machine the menu selection “Item/Locate in Explorer” reports ( Unable to locate “ ) including the single quote. On the Laptop client the selection is greyed out.

On the Server Machine, “Open with” does not work for any files. On the Laptop Client, “Open with” works for files that are stored on the Laptop, but, after downloading the file, results in an “Unhandled Exception” error for files actually stored on the Server.

Guess that will have to do for now.

An attempt to “Check out” a file results in a message “The method or operation is not implemented”

On the Server machine the menu selection “Item/Locate in Explorer” reports ( Unable to locate “ ) including the single quote. On the Laptop client the selection is greyed out.

Will be fixed on the next Daminion Server update.

When I make changes on one machine, the changes do not appear on the second machine till the focus comes back to the photo that has been changed. This is potentially confusing if two or more people are working on the same set of photos.

What sort of changes did you make? Did you change tags or edite an image?

Daminion works here like a Web-Browser - you can't see changes until the next request to a server.

When I attempt to create a new shared catalog (NewCat), Daminion created the new catalog, but with the same contents as the default NetCatalog. Adding files to the NewCat also adds them to NetCatalog. It appears to be two names, one catalog. The “Name” can even be different on the two machines.

This was a very surprising comment for me - :mda: What Daminion Client version do you use? We remove an option to creating new shared catalogs some times ago. The current Daminion Server allows to create just one shared catalog. Could you please send me a Screenshot or explain how you created it?

I tried adding some files from the laptop to the server catalog from the server machine. I checked off the “Upload files to the Server” box, but it does not appear that the files were actually copied to the server. The Properties - “Folder” still shows the original location, and C:ProgramDataDaminion SoftwareDaminion ServerData is empty.

• If you check off the “Upload files to the Server” option then Daminion Server will collects file links from their original location.
  • If you check this option the files will be uploaded/copiyed to the Server PC into "C:ProgramDataDaminion SoftwareDaminion ServerData" folder.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! :victory:

This was a very surprising comment for me - :mda: What Daminion Client version do you use? We remove an option to creating new shared catalogs some times ago. The current Daminion Server allows to create just one shared catalog. Could you please send me a Screenshot or explain how you created it?

Version 0.8.7.445 for all clients and the server.

You are right in the sense that there is only one actual catalog. Creating the second name for it goes like this:

1) File - Open shared catalog

2) Add - enter IP address of server.

3) Advanced - Enter name for new catalog replacing NetCatalog

What sort of changes did you make? Did you change tags or edit an image?

Daminion works here like a Web-Browser - you can't see changes until the next request to a server.

I changed keywords. The program works as I would expect here. I was more highligting the importance of having check-out working.

If you check this option the files will be uploaded/copiyed to the Server PC into "C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\Data" folder.

Sorry for the confusing language in my post. I have a habit of "checking off" or "Clearing" radio buttons. To clarify: I placed a check mark in the box. The files are not copied to the server.

One additional point I observe here. In this case, Where the files actually exist on the remote client, if I shut down the remote machine, close the catalog on the server, and then re-open the catalog on the server, all the thumbnails for the images on the remote client are no longer available. After I restart the remote client, the thumbnails do not re-appear till I shut down the shared catalog and reopen it, or refresh the missing thumbnails.

To state this another way, I have to have the remote client running, with a user logged on, before I open the shared catalog if I want to see the thumbnails without having to do a refresh.

1) File - Open shared catalog

2) Add - enter IP address of server.

3) Advanced - Enter name for new catalog replacing NetCatalog

Hmm... Seems it's the Easter Egg :) Changing the name just creates an alias to the catalog. On the current Daminion version it's possible to create just one catalog per Daminion Server.

Sorry for the confusing language in my post. I have a habit of "checking off" or "Clearing" radio buttons. To clarify: I placed a check mark in the box. The files are not copied to the server.

Could you please launch Services window and tell me a User name under "Log On As" column of the DaminionServerService? The problem with uploading might be due to insufficient rights of the Service.

One additional point I observe here. In this case, Where the files actually exist on the remote client, if I shut down the remote machine, close the catalog on the server, and then re-open the catalog on the server, all the thumbnails for the images on the remote client are no longer available. After I restart the remote client, the thumbnails do not re-appear till I shut down the shared catalog and reopen it, or refresh the missing thumbnails.

There are two ways to import your files to Daminion Server:

1. Upload them to the Server PC ("Upload files..." option is checked on). This will be the only option if Daminion Server doesn't have a direct access to the importing files.

2. Import links to the files (("Upload files..." option is checked off). If you try to import the files shared on your local network, the "Upload files..." option will be enabled. For example you can import the photo/document collection from a NAS or a folder on your Server PC.

So if you import the links to the shared files located on your local PC, then these files will be unavailable to other users(or computers with Daminion Client) if your local PC will be unavailable.

Bottomline: If you need to make sure that your content will be visible to other users you need to:

1. Upload your files to the Server PC

2. Or import links of the files located on the Server PC.

Could you please launch Services window and tell me a User name under "Log On As" column of the DaminionServerService? The problem with uploading might be due to insufficient rights of the Service.

It is my user_name / password ( Full administrative rights ), so I don't think that is the problem.

Regarding the thumbnail problem:

Storing all the files on the server certainly increases immediate availability to all users currently on the network. However there is also the case where multiple users manage their own files on a collection of laptops, netbooks etc. many of which may only occasionally be available for updates to the server.

In this distributed, mobile environment, each "User" has possession of their own content. The Server has the searchable database to find the content of interest. To get the actual content, the appropriate computer has to be available, but to tag and search the database, I would expect the thumbs (and catalog data) to be always available on the server after the initial import of links. The data in the Properties window then gives you the link to be able to locate the appropriate machine if you need the actual content.

In this distributed environment, copying files from a laptop to the server then creates a "Multiple Master" problem, where both copies get tagged, edited etc, and essentially become two different items, almost duplicates but not quite.

I have not yet figured out how a combination of stand-alone and server based tagging can be kept consistent / made consistent, but that is a different subject.

Edited by PG36

It is my user_name / password ( Full administrative rights ), so I don't think that is the problem.

user_name who has administrative rights on your Server PC doesn't mean that he has the same administrative rights on a remote computer where importing images are located.

To grant an access for your server/service to access to a remote computer with images you need to create the same user_name /password on your remote computer.

Probably we should to add some informative message here.

Another observation about adding files.

I cannot get Daminion to "Upload files to server" from any location; either a remote network computer or from other directories, drives on the server.

This is related to the user rights I've mentioned above.

user_name who has administrative rights on your Server PC doesn't mean that he has the same administrative rights on a remote computer where importing images are located.

To grant an access for your server/service to access to a remote computer with images you need to create the same user_name /password on your remote computer.

I already have the same User_name / Password on both machines, Full administrative rights to both machines.

If I understand correctly:

- if I am operating entirely on the server machine, and

- add files to server from another directory on the server machine, and

- place a check in the "Upload files to server" box,

- Daminion is supposed to copy the files from the original directory to the "C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\Data" folder.

At the present time, Daminion creates links to the files whether the box is checked or not.

Is it possible that there is a problem with the postgres username / password?

What would be teh best way to re-initialize the server configuration, delete NetCatalog, and recreate it?

If I understand correctly:

- if I am operating entirely on the server machine, and

- add files to server from another directory on the server machine, and

- place a check in the "Upload files to server" box,

- Daminion is supposed to copy the files from the original directory to the "C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\Data" folder.

Yes, your files will be uploaded to Data folder IF:

- your Daminion Client is launched on a Server PC and "Upload files..." check box is CHECKED ON.

And only links will be collected (without uploading the files) IF:

- your Daminion Client is launched on a Server PC and "Upload files..." check box is CHECKED OFF.

At the present time, Daminion creates links to the files whether the box is checked or not.

Is it possible that there is a problem with the postgres username / password?

Checked this with Daminion Server 447 build - and I'd able to upload the files to the Data folder.

Just in case please try to do test it with 447 build. We are not solved all the installation problems yet. So please after installing the server:

- Navigate to Services window

- Check whether Postgre Service is started

- Check whether Daminion Server is started

- Change Daminion Server log on as a powerful user

- If Daminion Server is not started please launch Daminion Server Panel (a link should be on your desktop) click "Settings..." button and specify postgre password on a PostgreSQL settings. And restart Daminion Server service again.

- Launch Daminion Client on the Server PC and try to the remote files again.

- Check Folder property of the imported files

What would be teh best way to re-initialize the server configuration, delete NetCatalog, and recreate it?

Please be careful on the future with deleting PostgreSQL data.

The common place (in Win7) where Posgtge stores its database files is:

C:\ProgramData\PostgreSQL\Data

And after uninstalling Postgre you can rename this folder (so you can be able to delete it later) and reinstall Daminion Server again. And don't forget to repeat the steps above after installing/updating the Daminion Server.

Yes, your files will be uploaded to Data folder IF:

- your Daminion Client is launched on a Server PC and "Upload files..." check box is CHECKED ON.

And only links will be collected (without uploading the files) IF:

- your Daminion Client is launched on a Server PC and "Upload files..." check box is CHECKED OFF.

OK; good to have the confirmation that I understand what it is supposed to do. Now Why is it not doing that?

Installed Server version 0.8.7.447 Still Running 0.8.7.445 Client.

- If Daminion Server is not started please launch Daminion Server Panel (a link should be on your desktop) click "Settings..." button and specify postgre password on a PostgreSQL settings. And restart Daminion Server service again.

What would I enter for the Postgre Password?

Apart from that here is the sequence of what I did to uninstall / re-install:

Stopped Daminion server & Closed window

Uninstalled Daminion Server

Got error message “unable to shut down” some application

Stopped Postgre SQL

uninstalled postgre SQL

Deleted Postgre user

Renamed C:ProgramDataPostgre.

C:Daminion SoftwareDaminion ServerData directories are all empty, so I left them alone

Renamed c:Program Files (x86)Daminion SoftwareDanmimion Server

Reinstalled Daminion Server - Accepting all defaults

Postgre was started automatically

Daminion Server did not start automatically

Changed Logon to my User_name, password (Full Administrator rights on both machines)

Started Daminion Server

Started Daminion 0.8.7.445 on the server machine.

Opened shared Catalog

Added files from a directory on the server.

Placed a check in the Upload to Server box.

Checked Folder Property for the files. - Still shows the original source folder.

Added files from a directory on the remote machine

Placed a check in the Upload to Server box.

Checked Folder Property for the files. - Still shows the original source folder on the other machine.

The directory C:ProgramDataDaminion SoftwareDaminion ServerData is empty.

What permissions, sharing properties should exist for the C:ProgramDataDaminion SoftwareDaminion ServerData directory?

Does the Server try to do anything to hide it's files?

Are there perhaps registry settings that are left over from previous installs?

What would I enter for the Postgre Password?

If Daminion Server service is up and running then no necessary to change the Postgre password in Daminion Server Settings. If there is a problem with starting the service please enter 'postgre' password without quotes there.

What permissions, sharing properties should exist for the C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\Data directory?

The service 'owner' user should have a Write access to the Data folder. But I guess the problem might be in the current Daminion Server. Please wait a bit while we'll prepare a minor update with bug-fix.