Out of sync counter

franky68

Hello,

I started tagging a larger number of images. So naturally I immediately (well, as soon as Daminion gave me the chance to) stopped the syncing process.

At this moment the counter for images that are left to be synced showed "11". Now I started tagging the rest of my images. During that process I noticed that the number did not increased eventhough I tagged roughly 1400 images.

After I finished tagging I hit the "play" button so my keywords would be written into the files. However Daminion only synced those 11 files that were displayed at the start the later tags have been ignored.

Shutting down Daminion and restarting it showed me an empty queue but with the correct number for the tags. After tagging another images the queue counter jumped up to 1435 (which is the number from my first session). So Daminion is currently syncing the remaining images.

I think the queue should be increased while I work without the need to restart Daminion.

...oh - and of course we should be able to stop the syncing *before* it starts and disable the autosync in the preferences. Did I already ask for this before? ;)

Franky;

I get pretty much the same behaviour except that I find it is not necessary to shut Daminion down and restart. As soon as I apply another tag, the Counter is updated, and sync of all the files starts. This is still an annoyance since in some cases you would have to create / remove and unwanted tag to restart the queue, but not as bad as Shutdown / Restart. It's a work-around for now though.

Speaking of the queue counter; I am also noticing unexpected behaviour of the counter as it is updating.

I applied a tag to 103 images, and stopped the update almost immediately. It showed 95 images left to update. On restarting, it almost immediately dropped to 45, and counted down to zero, then restarted at about 50 and counted down to zero again before reporting it was done.

I also get this behaviour without pausing the update. I deleted and re-assigned the tag several times to the 103 images.

The counter updates every second or two, and displays numbers like 102, 75, 45, 40, 36, 30,27, 24 etc. counting down to zero in smaller steps, and then jumps up to 55 or so and counts down again. The apparently rapid progress at the beginning may just be Daminion filling the hard disk queue, and then having to slow down as it has to wait for the HD queue to clear, but why count down twice?

Even when syncing is active I am getting totally inconsistent numbers for the queue. When I change tags the number is not increased but continuously runs down. But when its at 0 it either starts again with some "random" number or it stops but when I change the next tag the counter is way more than I was expecting.

This causes at least two problems:

1. I can never be sure if all files are synced or not. Having the counter down to 0 and the process stopped obviously doesnt mean anything.

2. Syncing is not just slow but really slow. So I find myself often impatiently waiting for the process to finish. Now when I think we are finally there the sync just starts again with whatever number of files to be processed...

What I also was trying to find out is the following:

a. I stop the autosync

b. I edit IMG_1

c. I edit IMG_2

d. I reverse step b.

e. I make another edit to IMG_2

f. I start syncing again

Will Daminion make 1, 2, 3 or 4 write accesses to the files? Unfortunately I can't find out because of mentioned problems with the queue counter. Maybe Murat can clarify?

I think its rather important that only one write access (c+e at once, b+d beeing ignored) is done. First of all writing to files is always dangerous so it should be avoided wherever possible and second with the really slow speed of syncing its better to waste a few cycles by optimizing the queue than having unnecessary write access.

What I also was trying to find out is the following:

a. I stop the autosync

b. I edit IMG_1

c. I edit IMG_2

d. I reverse step b.

e. I make another edit to IMG_2

f. I start syncing again

Will Daminion make 1, 2, 3 or 4 write accesses to the files? Unfortunately I can't find out because of mentioned problems with the queue counter. Maybe Murat can clarify?

In your case each file (IMG_1 and IMG_2) might be updated once or twice (Even if you assign an image to 10 tags in separate actions).

The Sync feature will be improved on the next Daminion update. And we will restore its state after the program restart.

The number that you can see in the Sync button is not the amount of files in the queue!

It's an internal number, and shows the active task packet size in the queue. There are can be multiple packets.

We not intensively test sync feature with large RAW collection so I guess we'll made some optimizations and improvements.