Color Management -> Default input ICC Profile does not work

_noel_

Hello,

The "Default input ICC Profile" / "Display Profile" feature does not work.

If an JPG image has no color profile embedded, the colors are not ok, with JPGs, which have a sRGB color profile embedded, the colors look good.

See following examples:

Without sRGB profile

With sRGB profile

tested with all Daminion versions up to 902.

My color management settings can be seen here: Settings

Regards

Eberhard

I don't see the differences on my monitor. But 2 new IPS monitors should arrive soon - so I can check this issue again.

Hello Murat and Daminion developers,

You do not need your new IPS or whatever monitors ... is is much more easier:

Please:

1) set this WhackedRGB profile as your default ICC monitor profile in windows

with this profile every application, which does color management right will show inversed colors (red becomes blue) (Photo Mechanic, WIn7 preview, Photoshop, ... )

Photo Mechanic is the best, you can switch the Color Management "online" via a button in the toolbar, if CM is on, the colors are inverted, if CM is off, the colors look ok, but the display / monitor profile is not used

2) import the two images from the first post into Daminion

3) enable color management in Daminion, be sure that the WhackedRGB profile is selected in the Daminion settings

4) display the two images in Daminion full screen

you can see:

1) the 130907_08_2015 - withoutProfile.jpg is shown with red floral colors

This means, Daminion does not care about the ICC monitor profile, when no profile is embedded in the JPGs

2) the 130907_08_2015 - withProfile.jpg is shown with blue floral colors

Daminon takes care of the whacked ICC profile, but only for JPGs which contain an sRGB profile embedded

3) btw: the thumbs in Daminion are also not color managed, even if the checkbox is checked in the Daminion config

This is a simple but very clear demonstration , that there is something wrong with Daminions color management.

On my computer Daminion does not use my special monitor profile, which I have created with the i1Display Pro, for JPGs without embedded sRGB profile and not for any kind of RAW files (NEFs, DNGs, ...), maybe because these RAW files (better the JPG files in the RAW files, which are used by Daminion for displaying usually contain no sRGB profile embedded. ... and so my colors look "bad", uncalibrated, oversaturated with Daminion and "OK", calibrated with all other color management aware applications I use..

Regards

Eberhard

Eberhard, could you check the 908 build.

Something is wrong. When I worked with geotag, using GeoSetter, I notice that thumbnail in Geosetter becomes yellower after saving from Daminion to file. Only when compatibility to old programs is on. Do you embedding color profile forced?

Build 909.

And thumbnails in Daminion are yellower too. And when you turn into Film Strip mode or Full screen then photo showed yellower while it is in bad quality (1-2 second), then it becomes normal. But didn't catch when: I think when compatibility option is on, you save tag to file and rebuilding thumbnail in Daminion or read tag from file. But not sure.

And Digital Photo Professional crashes when I trying to look into folder with such photo.

I'm afraid to use Daminion... I'm afraid to damage my photos.

post-1678-0-59264600-1382810193_thumb.jpg

post-1678-0-60111500-1382810198_thumb.jpg

Eberhard, could you check the 908 build.

Hello Murat,

Yes, for the "full screen view" the Display Color Profile works now ! Great ! It works for JPGs with and without embedded sRGB profile and it also works for NEFs and DNGs :-)))

But as described by Cactus, I can also see that something with the thumbs has gone wrong: If the Display Profile is enabled in the preferences, then the thumbs look dull as you can see in this screenshot, which compares Photomechanic and Daminion. The problem is with JPG thumbs, e.g. NEFs look ok. It's a little bit strange ...

Can you see the difference in the screenshot ?

Regards

Eberhard

Does the issue can be solved after invoke "Item > Rebuild Thumbnail" command?

If no - could you please send me this Jpeg file and a screenshot of your "Color Management" window.

No, it cannot be solved by rebuilding the thumbs.

the JPGs can be found here and here, a NEF is here

My Daminion Color Management settings are here, the Win7 settings are here

Regards

Eberhard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello,

I am getting drastically different results opening this in Lightroom as per Daminion, so it seems that Daminion is not reading the colour profile

Here is an example NEF https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ZKw9JXuTNyeTdQNGlvZDFBa28/view?usp=sharing

I've also attached my preferences. Please let me know what I can do :)

Thanks!

Daniel