Daminion 844 and Lightroom 3 or 5

pgrondin

I currently have a large collection of photos tagged in Daminion. These are .NEF, .CR2, and .JPG formats. I have used the .XMP sidecar files for about half of the NEF files and all of the CR2 files. When I try to import the files into Lightroom (versions 3 or 5). Lightroom imports the tags from the JPG files and the tags from the actual NEF files but it ignores the .xmp sidecar files.

Is there a way to get Lightroom to read the tags in the XMP sidecar files?

Do I have to write the tags to the actual NEF & CR2 files?

Does anyone have any suggestions to get these two programs to play nicely together?

Thanks

Upon further examination of the files, I have discovered that Daminion has not stored the keyword and place tags in all of the XMP sidecar files. Daminion has all of the tagging information in it's catalog / display, and indicates that all of the files are synced. However, for half of a small sample, the tags do not exist in either the sidecar files or in the NEF files (Used exiftool). This explains why Lightroom does not see the tags. There is a sidecar file for each NEF file, however half of them appear to be generic shells (No tag info). In another group of the files only a portion of the tagging information was written to file (Place, author are present but rating and colour label are not).

How do I ensure that Daminion writes all of it's tags to the XMP sidecar files? Is there a way to re-sync?

Updated to build 860

I have selected only "Write tags to sidecar files" under preferences for raw files; If I run the menu selection : Item | Actions | Write tags to File, Daminion writes the tags to the sidecar files. I can then get lightroom to "Read metadata from file" to update it's catalog.

Is there any way to quickly identify which of my 10,000 files need to be updated?

Edited by PG36

You can see the files that existed in the Syncing queue via Saved Searches > Unsynced. Please note that auto-sync feature doesn't supported if you move a tag to a new parent or rename it. We've discussed about this issue recently in the forum. And this issue should be fixed soon.

Using the "Item > Write tags to File" command will re-sync all your tags with image metadata of selected items.

Saved Searches > Unsynced indicates zero unsynced files. However, a large number of the .xmp files do not contain the tags they should. I originally tagged these photos several weeks ago, and only vaguely remember there may have been an interruption of some sort while syncing was taking place. I wish I could be more precise. I am currently re-writing all the tags to file, and will keep an eye out for any recurrence of this issue.