[817] No tags auto-sync after category renaming

focus

If I rename\move something in categories I see no any images metadata tags are going to be updated automatically - I have to run tags saving for all files in moved\renamed tag by hands... Is it expected behaviour?

Yes. This is a known staff: you need to manually update metadata of files after the following changes in the Tags tree:

- Renaming a tag value

- Changing a tag's parent

This is a question of Performance. The above operations might impact to a huge number of files, and all files which were assigned to the selected tag must be put into the synchronization queue. Even if you do this accidentally: you can accidentally make a typo while renaming a tag or accidentally move a tag to a wrong parent tag. And this will reflect on the syncing queue, and on the overall program performance.

We are waiting for a feedback for this behavior...

I see now, thanks for your detailed answer, as always.

I think it's a right move, but it still need a bit of polishing - we should know what files are not syncronized yet after such changes in tag tree - those files could show up in the Unsynced section of the Saved Searched for example.

This would allow users to keep xmp tags of their photo collection in sync much more easily since user can forget about tag renaming and he will not save tags manually after that what could cause different issues in the future with re-importing photos into the new catalog for example.

This is a question of Performance. The above operations might impact to a huge number of files, and all files which were assigned to the selected tag must be put into the synchronization queue. Even if you do this accidentally: you can accidentally make a typo while renaming a tag or accidentally move a tag to a wrong parent tag. And this will reflect on the syncing queue, and on the overall program performance.

Probably adding a confirmation dialog on tag rename/move would do the work? That way you avoid accidental changes and you can let user know it may take a while to sync all the files related to the change.

• 11 months later...

Yes. This is a known staff: you need to manually update metadata of files after the following changes in the Tags tree:

- Renaming a tag value

- Changing a tag's parent

We are waiting for a feedback for this behavior...

I ran in to this problem today and spent a lot of time trying to troubleshoot why my files were not being updated.

From user prospective - if I have auto-synchronization enabled, the program should do so! Otherwise it looks like a bug and undermines confidence in the program. Perhaps you can display a warning message for the first time user tries to move/rename category.