Thumbnails reading performance

exterminador

Hi everybody, I have been using Daminion for a couple of weeks on my new home server :)

I've found that some of the performance issues I had in the past are now not happening, for instance, record counts don't take that long to load. Now I'm trying to find out if there is something I can do to improve thumbnails reading performance.

My database has about 800K files. When I browse to a folder from Daminion, thumbnails appear in a really slow manner. It takes about 30 seconds to show 30 thumbnails.

What I'm using:

Intel Core i7-3770S (3.1 GHz)

4 GB RAM PC3-12800 RAM

Windows 8 Pro x64

OS and thumbnail files are stored on an SSD drive (Kingston SSD Now V Series 128GB)

Pictures are stored on a Western Digital Green Drive 3 TB (5400 RPMS)

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Regards

Eberhard, could you please send me a dump of your database for testing?

What do you mean with a "dump" ? The dmc file ? .... it is 150 MB ... the ~Thumbs folder is 6,5 GB

I could upload the dmc file somewhere, I think via email it is too large.

addendum: compressed with 7z the dmc file is 16 MB, shall I send it to your support email ?

Regards

I guess Exterminador's database are Daminion Server based so I you are also using Daminion Server based catalog.

You can send me your .dmc catalog file using wetransfer.com service to support at daminion.net.

I'm not using Daminion Server, I'm using Daminion only standalone / local. The database is on a 120 GB SSD drive.

I can send you my dmc file today in the late afternoon ...

Noel, thanks for the database file. Unfortunately without ~Thumbs folder I don't see any performance issues with default offline thumbs.

Could you please record a short video for me so I can estimate the performance problems?

Do you have any active Antivirus? Can you see the same issue if you disabled it?

My database has about 800K files.

This is the record number of files that were imported into Daminion Server (as I know) :good:

When I browse to a folder from Daminion, thumbnails appear in a really slow manner. It takes about 30 seconds to show 30 thumbnails.

1. Could you please try to compare the thumbnail appearance speed when you select a

network and local folders?

2. Do you see the same performance issue when browse for a folder that already was browsed (for example: select the FolderA, then select the FolderB, and then select the FolderA again)?

3. Could you please reproduce the issue (with slow thumbnail appearance) again. Then wait till the page with thumbnails will appear completely. And send me the logs folder (Admin Panel > Help > Show Logs...)

4. It will be very informative if you could record a short video for me demonstrating the issue. And send it us by email.

Thanks!

Noel, thanks for the database file. Unfortunately without ~Thumbs folder I don't see any performance issues with default offline thumbs.

Could you please record a short video for me so I can estimate the performance problems?

Do you have any active Antivirus? Can you see the same issue if you disabled it?

.... my ~Thumbs folder is 6,5 GB ... not a good idea to mail it :sarcastic:

disabling the virus scanner is a good idea ... I'll try it and give feedback in the in the late evening

I think, one problem could be that the thumbs are not in the DB but as single small files in the file system, this means, for every thumb min. one file system read ... with thumbs in a DB (one file) the performance maybe would be better.

Regards

I think, one problem could be that the thumbs are not in the DB but as single small files in the file system, this means, for every thumb min. one file system read ... with thumbs in a DB (one file) the performance maybe would be better.

We made a lot of tests at the beginning to select the best thumb storage scheme and keeping thumbs as separate files bring us the best performance result.

We did a few optimizations of working with network files and the thumbnail displaying performance should be better. Lets wait till the next stable build for this.

To check this I suggest you to compare the thumbnail appearance performance with local and network files (including mapped drives).

I guess we fixed this bug, at least on a few test catalogs from our customers, but I need a confirmation from Noel and Exterminador. A new update will be available on our forum soon.

Glad to hear that :pleasantry:

Ready to go for a new version & test

Hopefully the issue with the fullscreen view is also fixed ...

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

When we selected a thumbnail storage method - retrieving thumbnails from separate files showed the better performance than getting thumbnails from database.

The bottleneck here is queries to database that should be optimize. BTW do you see the same performance issues with a Daminion Server catalog?