Places Feature Request

pgrondin

I find the "Places" dialog under properties to be inefficient. The requirement to save all four "Places" tags at the same time, is making the system cumbersome at this time.

1 ) I have directories for photos taken in specific cities. I tagged all photos in the directory with Country, State, and City. I then want to go through the directory to add specific locations to most of the photos. If I select more than one photo, the Places dialog forces me to select each of the "Country, State, City" tags from the drop down boxes, so I can update the "Locations" tag without losing the Country, State City tags previously saved.

Where the selected photos have a uniform set of " Country, State, City" tags, (as they always should have if I am updating "location") I would like those tags to show up pre-selected, so I can just add the "Location" tag.

2 ) I would prefer not to have to look up State names for each city. If I leave "State" blank, and I select more than one photo, the look-up for "City" fails, and I have to re-type the city name every time I want to update a "Location".

Leaving "State" blank should not cause the "City" look-up to fail. Also, as in (1) above "Country" and "City" should default to their pre-saved values.

3 ) After adding the "Places" tags, and saving them, the "Places" tags appear if I select one photo, but disappear as soon as I select a second photo.

The information should continue to be displayed, at least where the selected photos are consistent. Ideally each of the four fields should continue to display as long as the selected photos are consistent for that field. This is useful information which I would like to refer to in some cases while assigning other tags.

Thanks for the feedback!

I guess if we'll fix the Place look-up context menu it might solve the issue.

For example I've selected 3 photos and select Place:Location field and begin typing "Du". The following helper menu should to appear:

places.gif

This might also solve the issue when you need to update just the City tags in the selected files, and typed a just City for this and leaved the other fields blank. Because commonly you would like to assign the certain City.

3) After adding the "Places" tags, and saving them, the "Places" tags appear if I select one photo, but disappear as soon as I select a second photo.

The information should continue to be displayed, at least where the selected photos are consistent. Ideally each of the four fields should continue to display as long as the selected photos are consistent for that field. This is useful information which I would like to refer to in some cases while assigning other tags.

What fields should the program display when you select 2 photos with the following fields?:

Case1. Photos have places that partially are intersected:

Photo1:

State: North Rhine-Westphalia
City: Dusseldorf

Photo2:

City: Cologne

Case2. Photos have different set of places, for ex:

Photo1:

Photo2:

State: Sicily
City: Palermo

I guess if we'll fix the Place look-up context menu it might solve the issue.

If I understand correctly, you are proposing to add a "Helper Box" lookup and the ability to update just one field, without blanking the other fields, and without having to re-select all three other fields.

This would be great.

What fields should the program display when you select 2 photos with the following fields?:

Case1. Photos have places that partially are intersected:

Photo1:

Photo2:

City: Cologne

I would display Country and State

Case2. Photos have different set of places, for ex:

Photo1:

Photo2:

State: Sicily

City: Palermo

Since the information for all three fields is inconsistent, nothing should be displayed.

In most situations, I see this as useful information that would provide feedback on what pictures are selected. A "Where am I" sort of confirmation.

There is also a much more serious problem:

Within the current operation, once I select a second picture, I lose all feedback that would help to prevent tagging errors. For example; I mistakenly select photos from two cities (Rome and Naples), and want to update the Location tag with the name of a church (Located in Rome). There is no feedback to tell me that photos from two different cities have been selected. To update the "Location" tag, I need to click on the drop down boxes and redefine Country, State, and City before defining the "Location". In this process, I end up writing invalid data to photos from Naples, both for the name of the church (which only exists in Rome), and also for the city name itself, which now reads Rome rather than Naples.

The ability to inject the Church name into the Location field without having to redefine Country/State/City fields would eliminate overwriting with the wrong City name, but it does not give me the feedback to help me avoid attaching the church name to the wrong photos.