Finding and PostgreSQL warning on Fresh Install 1.0.0.777

exterminador

Hello,

I finally got new hardware for my home server to run the Daminion Server :)

On a fresh install over Windows 8, I had issues trying to start Daminion Server, it just showed an empty error popup every time I tried to start it. I tried uninstalling and installing it a couple of times and finally added the "Log on as" user to the Administrators group. That did the work, not sure what it was but then I removed the user from the Administrators group and Daminion started correctly. The only thing I was able to notice was that the folder C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Software\Logs was created, probably without permissions the folder couldn't be created. Now it seems to be running OK, probably it would be useful to create the folder during the install?

While trying to find out what was happening I found this warning is being tracked in the Windows Event Log every 15 to 20 seconds:

Source: ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure

The application (PostgreSQL 9.0, from vendor PostgreSQL Global Development Group) has the following problem: To function properly, PostgreSQL 9.0 must be reinstalled after you upgrade Windows.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the warning.

Do you guys have seen this behavior before? A google search didn't help too much.

Thanks!

post-97-0-39196300-1366666199_thumb.png

I removed the user from the Administrators group

By default .NET 2.0/3.5 frameworks (which are used by Daminion) are disabled in the Windows 8. And this might be a reason of the problem. Did you restart your Windows after removing the user from the Admin group?

Does the problem can be reproduced if you'll add your user to the Admin group and try again? I

What Windows 8 version do you use?

Did the error appear during Daminion Server installation, when launching Daminion Server (or Client) or when trying to connect to a shared catalog?

By default .NET 2.0/3.5 frameworks (which are used by Daminion) are disabled in the Windows 8. And this might be a reason of the problem. Did you restart your Windows after removing the user from the Admin group?

I think the .Net framework was already enabled (I was able to open Daminion's client to try to connect to the server)

Does the problem can be reproduced if you'll add your user to the Admin group and try again? I

No, actually the problem was solved by temporarily adding Daminion's user to the Administrators group, I then removed it from the group and it worked fine, I think the issue may be related to something that needs to be created the first time Daminion Server runs and the user didn't have permissions to do it, after those things were created it no longer needs those permissions, just a guess.

What Windows 8 version do you use?

Windows 8 Pro x64

Did the error appear during Daminion Server installation, when launching Daminion Server (or Client) or when trying to connect to a shared catalog?

The error was while trying to start Daminions server from the Daminion Server Administration tool.

Hope it helps

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, me again,

I'm still getting the warning logged every 20 seconds (using Windows 8 Pro x64):

Source: ApplicationExperienceInfrastructure

The application (PostgreSQL 9.0, from vendor PostgreSQL Global Development Group) has the following problem: To function properly, PostgreSQL 9.0 must be reinstalled after you upgrade Windows.

Is it possible to update Postgre to a newer version and keep Daminion working? I found this thread talking about Postgre 9.2.3-1 has fixed the issue (it is also mentioned the 9.0.12 version):

http://forums.devshed.com/postgresql-help-21/postgres-windows-2012-issues-941949.html

I'm not so familiar with Postgre but it seems the version packaged with Daminion is PostgreSQL 9.0.3, not sure if a newer version will potentially break Daminion.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

On a fresh install over Windows 8, I had issues trying to start Daminion Server, it just showed an empty error popup every time I tried to start it. I tried uninstalling and installing it a couple of times and finally added the "Log on as" user to the Administrators group. That did the work, not sure what it was but then I removed the user from the Administrators group and Daminion started correctly. The only thing I was able to notice was that the folder C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Software\Logs was created, probably without permissions the folder couldn't be created. Now it seems to be running OK, probably it would be useful to create the folder during the install?

Could you please:

- Stop Daminion Server

- Remove the folder with Logs:

C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Software\Logs

- Try to start Daminion Server again?

Does the problem is still there?

Could you please:

- Stop Daminion Server

- Remove the folder with Logs:

C:\ProgramData\Daminion Software\Daminion Software\Logs

- Try to start Daminion Server again?

Does the problem is still there?

Thanks Murat, actually the problem was only on a fresh install, it was solved by temporarily adding the Daminion user to the local Administrators group. After that, the issue hadn't happened again.

Thanks Murat, actually the problem was only on a fresh install, it was solved by temporarily adding the Daminion user to the local Administrators group. After that, the issue hadn't happened again.

Yes. Because the Logs folder had been created already. But unfortunately I am unable to reproduce this issue with a fresh Daminion Server installation on a Windows 8. This is why I'am asking to Remove the logs folder again (after stopping the Daminion server) and try to launch Daminion Server again. Of course if your Daminion service logon user is not in the Admin group.