Photoshop Files Thumbnail Display Question

Mardon

I have some Photoshop files that display OK in Windows Explorer but in Daminion the thumbnail displays the following message in four languages: "This layered Photoshop File was not saved with a composite <unreadable>". What can I do to get the thumbnails to display for these type of PSD files? I don't want to flatten them. For examples, see the attached screen grab and look at the thumbnail in the first row for the files "8x10 three gener" and "LondonComposit".

I also have some Photoshop files that display a strange graphic on the thumbnail instead of the file image. For an example, see the first row in the attached image and look for the file "Backgrounds.psd".

I'd like all the thumbnails to display the actual file contents. Is there a size limit on big Photoshop files can be and still have the thumbnail display properly?

Thanks, Mardon

post-1142-0-63241300-1364313568_thumb.jpg

Murat,

The screen grab here

http://www.justus.ca/post/PSD_Example.jpg

shows the contents of the folder that contained the original file. The PSD files in this folder were originally all saved with Compatibility mode OFF. Before I took the screen shot, I used Photoshop CS5 to resave all the files in the first two rows with Compatibility Mode turned ON. I then rescanned the folder. The thumbnails did not appear. I closed Daminion and relaunched it but the thumbnails were still not there. I then used Daminion to View each individual file (right-click and view). After each view, the thumbnail of that file would appear. Eventually I got all the resaved file thumbnails to appear by viewing them one by one. After resaving the file with Compatibility mode turned on, did you have to view it before the thumbnail would be visible in the catalog?

Why would Daminion display some of the thumbnails in rows 3, 4 and 5 when all the files were originally saved with Compatibility Mode turned OFF?

Does Daminion require Compatibility Mode to be on? I didn't think so. This is actually one of the reasons I left Lightroom and started looking for something else. Don't get me wrong, Daminion is far superior to Lightroom even if Compatibility Mode is required but I hope it isn't. That would be a pain. I have years of PSD photos that I saved without Compatibility Mode. I thought it was the thing to do at the time. I enabled it permanently only about 6 months ago.

Mardon

After resaving the file with Compatibility mode turned on, did you have to view it before the thumbnail would be visible in the catalog?

Daminion remember the previously generated thumbnails. You can update them by "Item > Update Thumbnail" menu option.

Why would Daminion display some of the thumbnails in rows 3, 4 and 5 when all the files were originally saved with Compatibility Mode turned OFF?

Does Daminion require Compatibility Mode to be on? I didn't think so. This is actually one of the reasons I left Lightroom and started looking for something else. Don't get me wrong, Daminion is far superior to Lightroom even if Compatibility Mode is required but I hope it isn't. That would be a pain. I have years of PSD photos that I saved without Compatibility Mode. I thought it was the thing to do at the time. I enabled it permanently only about 6 months ago.

This is totally depended from the image processing library that we use to generate PSD thumbnails. I can send your PSD file to the developer so they can examine it. Please let me know.

Daminion remember the previously generated thumbnails. You can update them by "Item > Update Thumbnail" menu option.

Thank you! I had missed this update step. It works fine when I update the thumbnails.

This is totally depended from the image processing library that we use to generate PSD thumbnails. I can send your PSD file to the developer so they can examine it. Please let me know.

I would be happy to have you send my sample files to the PSD processing library developer. I put 3 more of the problem PSD files on your ftp server in my folder. Please feel free to send them to the developer. Their thumbnails show up in my Windows Explorer so whatever library my Windows installation is using to generate the thumbnails seems to work fine.

Thanks for the images. I've forwarded them to our image library processing developer company. Did you install an extra application that enabled you to display PSD files in Windows Explorer. I am asking this because by default Windows is enable to generate previews for PSD images. What Photoshop version do you use?

Thanks for the images. I've forwarded them to our image library processing developer company. Did you install an extra application that enabled you to display PSD files in Windows Explorer. I am asking this because by default Windows is enable to generate previews for PSD images. What Photoshop version do you use?

I installed a codec pack for viewing RAW images in Windows Explorer. I think it was the "Microsoft Camera Codec Pack" but it was quite awhile ago and I'm not positive that this was the pack I used. I never installed anything for PSD because, as you say, PSD files are visible anyway.

I use Photoshop CS5 (v12.0.4 x64).

I installed a codec pack for viewing RAW images in Windows Explorer. I think it was the "Microsoft Camera Codec Pack" but it was quite awhile ago and I'm not positive that this was the pack I used. I never installed anything for PSD because, as you say, PSD files are visible anyway.

Did you install FastPictureViewer Code Pack?

Did you install FastPictureViewer Code Pack?

Yes. I did install that codec package. I didn't think that I had but I checked my records and found that I purchased and installed FastPictureViewer Codec Pack 200 on 12-September-2011.

Is this the cause of my problems with the PSD thumbnail dispaly? If so, what do you suggest I do?

Thanks, Mardon

FastPictureViewer Codec Pack allows to display thumbnails for PSD files in the Windows Explorer. Having installed it on your system doesn't reflect to the problems with rendering PSD in Daminion and all other photo viewers.

Let's wait for a response from our image processing library developers.

• 2 months later...