Feature request - Scripts

Mammut

I put aside a lot of images for later because they have a lot of single tags. Really, a lot of tags. I'll sort them into the hierarchy later, when I'll have time.

But I'll never have that much time to sort that many tags all the time, especially that I can't do it at once, because there are too many files and I get always new files. And those new files often have a lot of similar tags so basically I'm changing the same tags all the time! :(

I was thinking what could be the solution, and I think that it would be great if we could write some basic scripts.

Like in example:

Keywords{paris||Paris} => Place{France->Paris}

Keywords{mountain&&landscape} !> Keywords{Landscapes->mountain}

Delete_Keyword{mountain}

Categories{SPO} !> Categories{Sports}

Keywords{K->K?nn*dy} => People{K->K?nn*dy}

And these could mean:

IF Keywords contains paris OR Paris THAN ASSIGN France->Paris in Place AND DELETE paris and Paris from Keywords

IF Keywords contains mountain AND landscape THAN ASSIGN Landscapes->mountain in Keywords but DON'T DELETE the mountain and landscape keywords

DELETE the mountain keyword from Keywords (so this way the landscape keyword remains, if there is any and we need it)

IF Categories contains SPO THAN ASSIGN Sports in the Categories but DON'T DELETE the SPO Category

IF Keywords contains K->K?nn*dy THAN ASSIGN K->K?nn*dy in People AND DELETE all the K->K?nn*dy tags from Keywords (the ? and * are wildcards, so this could mean more tags at once)

And we could write all these "rules", save them to a file or an internal editbox or something, and run it, and Daminion could automatically change those tags to the appropriate ones in our structure.

I think it's not too hard to implement such a minimal script engine (especially that the advanced search is somewhere halfway from that), but it would be a great, great, great help.

What do you think?

Thanks and Regards,

mammut

[Edit] I just re-read your post and noticed that you "get" files with tags that you want to then clean up, if I understand correctly, so my comments below may not be appropriate for your problem. [Edit]

There may be another way to address your problem. It appears that you are assigning a single tag to each of your files after you import them. This gives you the ability to roughly filter your material. Then you need to "Clean up" the tags. It may be possible to do-it-right-the-fist-time, so you don't have to retag.

It may be useful to use Daminion's ability to Copy and Paste Tags.

After you import your files decide on several "Tag Sets" that would be appropriate.

Apply all of the appropriate tags for one "Tag Set" to one file.

Either use the Item menu or right click on the file and go to Actions | Copy Tags

In the window that pops up, select all of the tags you want to copy and apply to other files.

Select all of the other files you want to apply the copied tags to, and Right Click | Actions | Paste Tags.

Repeat for another Tag-Set.

Daminion also has the ability to define Tag Presets that are applied when you import your files into the catalog. If, for example, you are returning from a trip / shooting session, there are likely to be various sets of tags that would be applicable to many photos / video clips. (Say:

Keywords | Architecture,

Date | March 2013,

Place | France | Paris, etc)

These Tag Pre-Sets can be assigned from the import window that pops up with the preview thumbnails. I do not know if it is possible to create these tag presets in any way other than copying the tags from an existing file. Assuming that you do not have the required tag preset defined:

Import one file for each of the tag presets you wish to define.

Define the appropriate tags for each of the Tag-Presets to be created.

"Copy Tags" for each file. In the tag select window that pops up, there is a button at the bottom that allows you to Save the tags as a Tag-Preset.

Go to Add files.

Select the files that would be appropriate for a Tag-Preset, and select the Tag preset to be applied from the box on the right.

Import that set of files.

Do over for other sets of files till you have imported all of the recent files.

I just re-read your post and noticed that you "get" files with tags that you want to then clean up, if I understand correctly, so my comments below may not be appropriate for your problem.

Yes, I want to clean up the mess of thousands of already existing single tags. :) And not just once, so it's not just a big work, it's a neverending work. I can't believe that only I have these kind of problems. :(

Sorry if I'm not fully understandable at first, English is not my native language, I tend to periphrase (that's the right word?) things. :)

edit: But I think that a script could be useful to anyone. Let's say, you move files with specific tags into their right folders every time. Now you filter them and drag them to the right folder every time when you have new images with those tags (okay, if the tags exist already, you can do it at import, but that's not always the case). With the scripts you could just write the right scriptlines once, and just run it, and it'll automatically happens. There are these repeated tasks where we can gain time with it.

Okay, maybe the script is too, uhm, "old-school". :D But it can be done with a GUI, like the Advanced Search, and call it "Automatic tasks". (I'm just faster with code lines than with combo boxes.)

I still think that the basic Copy Tags - Paste tags may simplify your current task in the absence of a script function.

My apologies for the second portion of my post above. The "Assign Tag Preset" does not appear to work during file import. This may be a "Bug" or my lack of understanding.

I still think that the basic Copy Tags - Paste tags may simplify your current task in the absence of a script function.

I can use the Copy Tags - Paste Tags, or even simpler: the Cut - Paste as Sub-Tag at the Tags tab, and reorder the taglist itself. I know how I can do that, but either way, it's a very big work, and I have to repeat that work every time when there are new images with single tags, and that's the bigger problem.

edit: By the way, if there are a few thousands keywords in Keywords, than a simply Cut - Paste as Sub-Tag takes at least half minute, it very slow. :(