I hope daminion won't slap me in the face like picajet did

juliusv

Hello, I'm a customer of previous version Picajet, while the software was discontinued a long way back it is still being sold and was even recently updated. So I downloaded the new version and no the crash bug on WinXP is still these. The program is unusable in current state yet being sold like a normal piece of software.

Developers arrogantly reply to my letters to fix the program "just upgrade to daminion"

Well I downloaded most recent version of daminion and the program is a clone of picajet, despite new features the program seems long from final release. Or at least from anything I would pay money for.

The problems are obvious but perhaps not so obviout that I had not found threads about them:

Problem 1

The preview is SLOW, why GPU is not used??? Why can't developers implement it?

Problem 2

Small thumbnails near categories like in picajet where you can asign one of the category photo to be used for interpreting what this category is about is not used in daminion, why was this so hard to make? When it will be available?

Problem 3

Why bother adding colormangement if previews of images become even SLOWER than if turned off, again GPU is not used.

Problem 4

You can't add descriptions like in picajet by clicking near the image. This counter intuitive and should be fixed, especially if you have already added image descriptions to rename them you are forced to use right panel.

Problem 5

Where I can change interface colors? Like starts should be yellow, gold or whatever colors I want?

Background colors should be customizable by now, this is not available?

Problem 6

While I value the fact that you made single click to filter the selected category why the filtering is done using the green selection button and not when I click on the category is beyond me. Never In the last 20 years I so a program that used this method, image if ms windows used to force you to select folder and then to view the contents you had to select a radio button nearby - crazy?

Problem 7

The program crashed multiple times when viewing image previews on full screen and then filtering categories, no logs were saved in application logs, why ?

I hope developers will look into my problems and fix them ASAP.

Some of your suggestions might be useful: we add new features based on the number of user votes, so if we'll receive enough requests for some of the features that you listed, we'll add them to the program (except Mac version ;).

Well I downloaded most recent version of daminion and the program is a clone of picajet, despite new features the program seems long from final release.

The full list of differences is available here:

https://help.daminion.net/tips/daminion-vs-picajet-fx/?preview=true&preview_id=1434&preview_nonce=31cd95a8fe

Daminion is available on the market during the past 3 years, since April 2010. And we plan to release it on Q2'2013.

Thanks for your feedback! See my answers to your questions below:

1. Adding OpenGL support by PicaJet team and ignoring it by Microsoft team was one of our the main headaches with PicaJet: many compatibility issues with GPU, old video cards and graphic drivers, thousands of hours that we spent resolving GPU issues... :dash2: So we decided to stay away from GPU support for some time. However we can add it in the future.

2. It might be added in the future. But surprisingly, we didn't receive enough requests to add this feature to Daminion :unknw:

3. Color Management requires additional PC resources. May be the results will be better in conjunction with GPU support.

4. Agree that this was very helpful feature in PicaJet. But PicaJet was limited mainly with Title and Categories, while Daminion has a lot of different tags. You can do the same by clicking the Ctrl + D keys in Daminion. We can get back to this option when implement the core program functionality. I've added your vote for this feature.

5. Gray color scheme was available at the beginning but was disabled then. We'll add it again once completely rewrite the Tags tree component.

6. It's easy to loss your current query selection by accidentally clicking on a tag. And selecting images by clicking on a the hole node will be affected on some organizing capabilities: renaming, adding, reordering tags. What if you selected multiple tags (by holding the Ctrl key) and the decided to rename or add some new tags?

7. You can enable log's writing if you launch Daminion with -log_enable parameter

1. Adding OpenGL support by PicaJet team and ignoring it by Microsoft team was one of our the main headaches with PicaJet: many compatibility issues with GPU, old video cards and graphic drivers, thousands of hours that we spent resolving GPU issues... So we decided to stay away from GPU support for some time. However we can add it in the future.

You must be crazy, even Excel has GPU acceleration. Adobe made huge mistake when their Flash does not support GPU, look at it now nobody uses flash anymore, everyone uses HTML5.

Do you want to make same mistake with you product? There are many users that have older PC, laptop etc. GPU would make previews at least 2x faster. Without it I will use Adobe bridge, at least it can be used without slowdown for tens of thousand of photos.

2. It might be added in the future. But surprisingly, we didn't receive enough requests to add this feature to Daminion

You make a clone application and you ask users what functions to clone? What kind of clone is this?

I contacted picajet/daminion team numerous times, either I got no reply or was asked to upgrade.

As you continue to sell the Picajet software even now I want my crash report to be debugged and solved. I paid you my money for a license for a program that fits my needs. All I want that it would not crash.

The crash happens when browsing though the categories, viewing image previews or by crtl selecting few categories.

Now I hope I will not have to resort to asking hackers to fix your software.

bugreport.txt