Why can an image only be in one collection?

franky68

Hello,

maybe I am misinterpreting the purpose of Collections but I would use it e.g. for portfolios. Now one can easily imagion images that would in two different portfolios (eg. black/white and lowkey) but in Daminion I can assign an image only to one collection at a time. If I assign it to a different collection its automatically deleted from the previous. I find this somewhat unfortunate as it would force the user to emulate this using Categories or creating special keywords. In which case the collections become obsolete and there is no strict distinction between categories and collections anymore.

It would be great if you'd add another table to allow n:n relations for the collections as well.

Kind regards

Frank

We've excluded the exclusiveness feature from Collections items. So on the next version you can assign a single item to multiple collection tags.

What's the difference between Collections and other tags like Categories and Keywords?

Collection tags can be used to group and represent items like Playlists or Portfolio.

1. Collections tags are not mapped to the metadata. It stores on the catalog (database) only.

2. All the collection items are represented as a linear list. It does not allow parent tags.

3. We plan to add a feature that allows you to change the order of the media items in each collection manually. In the current Daminion version it's possible but the state is not saved. But it will be possible for items belonged to Collections on the upcoming Daminion versions.

PS. We plan to write a post on the blog describing the difference of Categories and Keywords.

We've excluded the exclusiveness feature from Collections items.

Feature? Did you work at Microsoft previously? ;)

But great to hear about the upcoming change!

1. Collections tags are not mapped to the metadata. It stores on the catalog (database) only.

Talking about that... It might be a nice feature to also allow tags to be "private" in a way of not mapping them into the metadata and solely stored in the database. Most of the time I strip the metadata anyway before I give away pictures, but in cases I do it would be nice not to have *every* tag in the image.

Kind regards

Frank

Feature? Did you work at Microsoft previously? ;)

But great to hear about the upcoming change!

Ha-ha! :lol: It depends from the point of view: some bugs can be features, and visa-versa.

Talking about that... It might be a nice feature to also allow tags to be "private" in a way of not mapping them into the metadata and solely stored in the database. Most of the time I strip the metadata anyway before I give away pictures, but in cases I do it would be nice not to have *every* tag in the image.

Probably it will be better to control this during the export? I can select a few pictures, choose what metadata I need to include/exclude to/from the files and click Export.

Probably it will be better to control this during the export? I can select a few pictures, choose what metadata I need to include/exclude to/from the files and click Export.

Never underestimate the sloppyness of a user ;)

Generally stripping them off during export would be good and the more important feature - yes.

But on the other hand sometimes you dont "export" images but copy them right from the folder - or if someone else works on the computer. Or you simply forget to strip them. In those cases its sometimes better not to have cirtain metadata embedded at all.

Also not all keywords are necessary to be embedded in the image files. Either for speed (no need to sync), because they are temporary anyway or because they are confident.

So having both options (stripping and private keywords) would be the most powerfull and flexible solution.

Kind regards

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed. On the new Daminion 0.8.5 you can assign a photo to multiple collections.

Yupp, I already noticed. Its great! :)

...now if there only was a way to quickly add all images from the tray to a collection this would be really handy.

I know I can select all and drag them to the collection label. But how to explain this to my wife? ;)

Yes, we'll think about how to implement it on the best way.

I think the tray window really should get an own menu (like the export menu in the thumbnail window). This menu could hold operations that are applied to all images in the tray. Generally the tray window will be used to select images that will undergo the same operation. So it might make sense to provide those operations without the need to "select all" first.

Among other obvious entries (like export, compare) there could be an entry "Collections..." that has a submenu with all collections.

And if the tray holds images from different catalogs the collection should be created for all catalogs that do not already have it.

So what should happen if I navigate to TrayContextMenu > Collections > CollectionA?

hmmmm.... let me think for a minute... - Assign all tray images to "CollectionA"? ;)

As said, in case a user has images from multiple catalogs in the tray the choosen category should be created for catalogs that do not already contain it.

And this shouldnt be done from the contextmenu (as this would imply to operate with the single image) but with a general menu for the tray-window that holds operations that are applied to ALL images in the tray - and eliminate the need to previously select all images.