Connected Hierarchical Items

Russell

Hi Murat and Everyone Else,

I'm moving my collection to Daminion from IMatch. IMatch has a really nice feature that I think I'm missing. It allows you to build "Dynamic Categories" that are based on formulas.

I have a "Category Tree" setup to represent my family tree, naming each family unit for the Patriarch of the family. Here's an example (in parenthesis are descriptors since you don't know these people):

Edward Smith Family

-- Edward Smith (Father, Patriarch of the "Edward Smith Family")

-- Gina Smith (Wife)

-- Michael Smith (Son)

Michael Smith Family

-- Michael Smith (Patriarch of the "Michael Smith Family")

-- Sally Smith (Wife)

-- Tina Smith (Daughter)

Note that both "Michael Smith"s are the same person! In IMatch I can create the one category for the person (I create it in the family in which they are a child), and then create a matching category in other sub-trees where I want that same person to appear. Any time I have an image for "Michael Smith" I simply tag it to his category and the image would appear if I selected either "Michael Smith" folders. I hope I explained that well enough to follow.

How can I create this model in Daminion?

Thanks,

Russell

There is a similar thing in IDImager, we can create relations between the tags (or as they call them, labels, and not just between People, we can create relations between any tags) there, and I liked it when I used that program.

I have a few ideas how I could use it if there'd be a similar feature in Daminion.

Regards,

mammut

PS: Now you have to create 2 separate hierarchy and duplicate the tags, and assign theme to the same files. (Or put the Michael Smith family in the Edward Smith hierarchy, as a child. Of course, that way there'll be problem with the infos in the parenthesis.)

How can I create this model in Daminion?

Hi Russell,

Thanks for the idea about connected tags. We'll be busy for the next 2-3 months with User Roles and Collection Sharing features.

At the moment I can suggest you to follow with the Mammut's suggestion:

"PS: Now you have to create 2 separate hierarchy and duplicate the tags, and assign theme to the same files. (Or put the Michael Smith family in the Edward Smith hierarchy, as a child. Of course, that way there'll be problem with the infos in the parenthesis.) "