Catalog Tags "folder" on the other side than "keywords"?

Menace

Hello,

as long, as the "keyword set" is not inside, is there a possibility to put the window/tab "folder" on a other side (or monitor) than the tab "keywords"?

Normally my workflow:

1. Import from card to PC by capture one;

2. RAW-Konverting to jpg (for the not so important pictures) to a special folder (i.e.: jpg-out)

3. Importing the folder jpg-out in a DAM-Software

4. Putting keywords with the DAM-Software --> export the keywords to file --> move the file to another folder (for example: \invertebrate\arthropoda\insects\dragonflies\ ).

For me it is much faster, when I have the tab for keywords (set of keywords) of one side and the folder on the other side, so that I mustn't change the windows.

Tag sets is present in our feature list, although there are several more priority features (with large number of requests) that delays implementing this feature.

Not sure about separating Folders into the second panel, although we considered this ability in the early Daminion prototypes. Will back to this feature after implementing User Roles feature.

... --> export the keywords to file --> ...

Did you mean writing keywords into file metadata?

Tag sets is present in our feature list, although there several more priority features (with large number of requests) that delays implementing this feature.

I'll try to be patient. :i-m_so_happy:

Did you mean writing keywords into file metadata?

Sorry, yes. Synchronize tags (write into exif, xmp and iptc).

Another question: why do you copy images to another folder? And what if an image belongs to multiple categories or keywords (that are used to construct an output folder, I assume)?

I am not copying, I move the images.

For example my two most important catalogs.

1. Privat Photos:

This images are in folders by the date: For example: 2012/10 (for year and date). But before I put in this final folders I put it first in a "work-folder" to put the metatags inside, to sort or eliminate.

2. Natur Photos:

First, they also put in a work folder (jpg-nature). Than I try to find out, which species show this imagine (or which main species). After tagging this images, i put it to the folder of species or at least genus, family, order or class.

I have just time in some weekends or holidays to sort my images and it is easier to sort a "bunch" of them.

I forgot one other situation:

One catalog have a huge amount of folders which pdf and images insider. Currently I have to tag 2-10 pdfs/images and than go to folder --> next folder --> next tagging ...

With folder left and tags on the right side, it would increase my workflow a lot.

I also have a working folder with a lot of images, and I move the images to their final folders after I tagged and renamed them, etc. That's why I'm hoping that there'll be a file and folder management in Daminion, because my work would be way faster than now.

And I agree, when there are a lot of imported folders, it's hard to work with the tags, too much scrolling. So maybe it would be good if we could separate the Folders to an other window, only if we need it.

But it's hard to work when there are a lot of keywords, too. Of course we can't separate all of the tags to other windows because than the filtering would be a mess.

But maybe it would be a good solution if we could copy/cut and paste tags.

When I first imported some images into Daminion, I imported like 10,000 images with single keywords, and the Catalog Tags panel was a long, long list, so the drag and drop feature was useless. I wanted to sort the keywords into a hierarchical order, but it was very difficult to work with the drag and drop in a very long list. I swear, it would be faster to delete all of the tags and create new ones, but that's not a solution. If I could copy/cut and paste the tags (with complete hierarchy, so cut a parent keyword tag and paste it into another keyword hierarchy as a child), it would be faster than the drag and drop, which is only good when there are only a few tags to move.

Now I'm working mainly with images where there are no keywords at all, and I'm waiting for a better solution with all of my images with single keywords.

Regards,

mammut

But it's hard to work when there are a lot of keywords, too.

Hi Mammut,

that's why I'm waiting (keen) for the keyword-sets (like IDimager have had it). Then you can create as many sets like you want and drag and drop your keywords in this (floating?) sets.

In Idimager I have sets like "friends", "familiy",... (Privat catalog) or "insects", "spiders", "bird", "trees", "colors",... (nature catalog). They keywords inside a "set" are two besides another. I mark images and simply click on one keyword-Button --> images get tagged with the hierarchical keyword. I do tagging different photos with different people in seconds; Even if friends, family, places, ... are very mixed.

I prefer daminion, than idimager because it is more stable (and alive) and I can write the tags in iptc, exifs and XMP. But as long, there are no filemanager and keyword-set I'll working with IDimager.

Hi Mammut,

that's why I'm waiting (keen) for the keyword-sets (like IDimager have had it). Then you can create as many sets like you want and drag and drop your keywords in this (floating?) sets.

In Idimager I have sets like "friends", "familiy",... (Privat catalog) or "insects", "spiders", "bird", "trees", "colors",... (nature catalog). They keywords inside a "set" are two besides another. I mark images and simply click on one keyword-Button --> images get tagged with the hierarchical keyword. I do tagging different photos with different people in seconds; Even if friends, family, places, ... are very mixed.

I prefer daminion, than idimager because it is more stable (and alive) and I can write the tags in iptc, exifs and XMP. But as long, there are no filemanager and keyword-set I'll working with IDimager.

Hi Menace,

yeah, I hear that keyword sets have great potential. I never used them yet. I'll try that feature as soon as I can.

I tried IDImager in May, but I didn't bought it after the trial period. It had a lot of bugs, it crashed a lot of times, it was very unstable, I can't work with such a program (and now that they're not fixing the bugs, I will never work with it; a few weeks ago I was curious and I tried Supreme, too, but it's like an "IDImager Light", so no way).

It's a shame because I really liked the tag connection thing in IDImager, which I never saw in other softwares, and I could use it sometimes.

A few months later I found Daminion (maybe in June?), and it had a more stable feeling overall, so I'm trying to work with it, and Daminion is really good, just there are these convenience matters where it needs more development. But of course there is a priority order, so I'm waiting. :) And I'm happy with it now, I can use it for my many works (in my workflow, after the tagging in Daminion, I'm renaming and moving the images in ACDSee, and after that I rescan the folders in Daminion again, so I can filter them later when I have to find an image), and I like the new features (and the planned features, like the map, the controlled vocabulary and maybe synonyms, etc.) and the development, ie. Daminion was a little slow with full screen rendering, and now it's way faster (almost ACDSee faster!), with larger images, too. I hope there'll be a fast image viewer tool or something later, now I'm viewing my unimported files on the HDDs with the ACDSee's one. :)

(By the way, Murat, in the new ACDSee there are hierarchical keywords, but when I save them and rescan the folder in Daminion, I can't see them, I guess ACDSee saves them into some different xmp or something. It's not important for me, I'm not using them, I just tried it, and I thought I mention it to you.)

Regards,

mammut

• 2 weeks later...

(By the way, Murat, in the new ACDSee there are hierarchical keywords, but when I save them and rescan the folder in Daminion, I can't see them, I guess ACDSee saves them into some different xmp or something. It's not important for me, I'm not using them, I just tried it, and I thought I mention it to you.)

If you send us an image with hierarchical keywords, written by ACDSee, we can add support for importing them.

If you send us an image with hierarchical keywords, written by ACDSee, we can add support for importing them.

Okay, I created and embedded some keywords and sent you an image to your support e-mail, thanks.

These keywords you must see in the file:

Creatures->Fictional->Tolkien->Hobbit

Creatures->Mythical->Norse->Dwarves (Dwarf)

Movies->H->The Hobbit

Movies->Posters

People->Characters->B->Bilbo

People->Characters->G->Gandalf

People->Professions->Mage (Wizard)

Regards,

mammut