Version Control

franky68

Hello Murat,

another issue I ran into:

When I edit an image from Daminion I get a messagebox telling me the file is backed up into a subfolder (it would be nice if I could choose "dont show again") and the image is opened with the editor.

Now I edit that image and after saver it I go back to Daminion.

First thing I notice is that there is no subfolder created at all (yes, the directory is writable).

Second the "Version Control" doesn't show any image checked out tho the context menu for the image itself shows a greyed out "check in" and only the "check out" is available to choose.

If I switch views and later return to that image its the opposite "check out" is greyed out and "check in" is available.

Now if I do this whole procedure again without changing the view and "checking out" while I still can I enter the description of my changes. Since I just entered it I am curious and choose "Item audit history" but it tells me there are no entries and previouis versions at all.

I suppose the whole beast is not implemented yet eventhough the dialogs etc. are already there?

On a sidenote: it would be nice if it were possible to select files that do have a version/have been edited in addition to checked in/out images.

Kind regards

Frank

There is a small bug (it's already fixed) with version control in the latest Daminion version:

If you navigate to Item > Edit With... > Default Application the item is not checked out automatically. If you specify an editor directly it should works.

As a workaround I suggest you to add your image editors (CNX, Photoshop, etc..) to the list of Editors. And then navigate for example to Item > Edit With... Photoshop

As a workaround I suggest you to add your image editors (CNX, Photoshop, etc..) to the list of Editors. And then navigate for example to Item > Edit With... Photoshop

Yes, thats exactly what I did to edit the image.

I am running 0.8.3 (build 344)

Whats the point in versioning RAW files anyway? I understand the reason for JPEG of course but with RAW its different.

All RAW converters I am aware of do not touch the RAW file at all but only create receipes which are stored either in their own database or in sidecar files while the original file remains unchanged. If I had a copy of a previous version RAW and replace the current with the old the receipes would still apply and different versions of the receipes would have to be maintained in the converter itself (or by creating copies of the sidecar).

The nikon converters (CNX/VNX) on the other hand do place their receipes in the RAW file so versioning could work. But they do come with their own versioning tools and you can have multiple versions in one RAW file without the need to create copies.

So the only benefit I see is for workgroups (checking in/out) and to prevent others from messing with my work. But this again only works with Nikon.

Unless thats the case the versioning adds unecessary overhead in work (checking in/out) and discspace (copies).

Maybe its a good idea to have the versioning optional so users can disable it if they dont have a need?

Just a thought - maybe I am missing a point?

Kind regards

Frank

• Upvote 1

Your note is make sense for RAW files. But Daminion knows nothing about the files that you are checking out. Version Control knows that this is a file but it don't care what the file is.

Version control feature is more important for the Server version. And it prevents you from destroying your assets accidentelly by someone.

If you need to work directly with the files you can use "Item > Open With" feature. It will pass the file directly to an external application without the version control. Or press "V" key to do the same.

Your note is make sense for RAW files. But Daminion knows nothing about the files that you are checking out. Version Control knows that this is a file but it don't care what the file is.

well, Daminion knows the filename or media format and could match it with known RAW-types!?

Version control feature is more important for the Server version. And it prevents you from destroying your assets accidentelly by someone.

As said, it should not be possible to destroy RAW files with other applications than CNX/VNX, thats why I suggested making it optional.

If you need to work directly with the files you can use "Item > Open With" feature. It will pass the file directly to an external application without the version control. Or press "V" key to do the same.

In that case please give us two configurable shortkeys for "Open with" one for the viewer and the second for the editor. Which would come down to the same and allow the user to configure if they want version control or not.

Right now not using version control would loose me a hotkey (and there are too few of them anyway) ;)

Kind regards

Frank

well, Daminion knows the filename or media format and could match it with known RAW-types!?

I meant the Server version. In the local version probably the better way is to provide an option - do not checkout the editing files. Because Daminion can manage a broad list of the media formats (as a DAM software) and new formats can be added by Media Processor SDK, we know about RAW but don't know about all other formats.

And in this case you don't lost the hotkey.