Document management

Mel

Murat, I can't recall if I have already mentioned this suggestion or not: I honestly encourage you to add non-image support to Daminion. Customizable "Presets" allow to define metadata sets suitable for handling all types of documents not only images. Documents are not limited to pdfs, they are xlsx, doc, etc. files. I would love to be able to catalog them as well.

Daminion database can be moved to any drive letter retaining all relations, tags, etc., and this feature alone makes it a gem. I wish I could catalog any document type and work with my documents wherever I need to, be it my office or Croatian camp under fig-trees. But now this feature is limited to pdfs only. So pls consider support for other formats as well - no preview (or default "Preview not available" icon), a list view only, double click opens file in external editor. Voila - you've got a new target group at hand as wise and simple document management becomes more and more important (this is not only my opinion).

I've trialled many of free-, share-, and commercialware so far (e.g. Tabbles, BenubirdPDF, WhereIsIt, SimpleDocOrganizer, iMatch, etc.) and came into conclusion that the programmers have neved faced real document management issues.

-- M.

Hi Mariusz,

Support for MS Office formats will be added in the Daminion 0.9.7 version. Doc, Xls, Ppt, DocX, XlsX, PptX formats will be supported. We've added support for common office metadata fields. The thumbnails will be shown only for documents with built-in previews.

... and now the Sun shines even brighter ...

thanks for a really good job

-- M.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

ok, I realise I'm 2 years on from this topic, but I'd like to suggest Copernic Desktop Search for searching and indexing documents, and request that in Daminion there is a way of permanently setting the types of files to be included, as I find the pointlessness of E or W icons very unhelpful, whereas the usefulness of proper photo info is brilliant.

Exclude office documents and just include photo or artwork documents.

ideally, the option of including each exact type of document would be the best solution. tick Yes to jpg, jpeg, tif, tiff, and no (in my case) to avi or gif. (for instance).