ORF files rendered as thumbnails

kingsfan

Hi,

No ORF files render in full screen or at 100%. All ORF files render only as Thumbnails, even when I double-click on the main window where all thimbnails are displayed. I not not have ths issue with the same ORF files in Expression Media, or in CaptureOne Pro. Yes, I have the ORF codec installed on my Windows 7 x64 machine. I have tried without the codec as well, and there is no change.

CR2 files on the other hand have no issues being rendered at 100% or full screen. I am using the latest available build. Any thoughts on why this might be the case?

Thanks.

The current Daminion version renders RAW files using built-in JPEG previews. And if a RAW picture doesn't contain a preview image the program renders an displays the original RAW file.

Some Olympus cameras generate a tiny built-in JPEG previews. We've added an option to render the original RAW files if the built-in JPEG dimension is less than 800x800. It will be available in the upcoming build.

There are no options to customize how to render RAW files.

We are thinking to choose between two approaches:

1. Automatic selection. Daminion will renders RAW files using built-in JPEG previews. If you click and hold the left mouse button then an image will be zoomed in and the "Rendering" message appears. Once the message disappears you will seen the full-sized 100% preview of the original RAW file.

2. Manual option like this:

adjust-RAW-settings.jpg

If you click and hold the left mouse button then an image will be zoomed in and the "Rendering" message appears. Once the message disappears you will seen the full-sized 100% preview of the original RAW file.

Please do NOT use the forced automatic approach. Having the manual selection with the option to render automaticly would suit every user.

I am sure you are aware that many Nikon users are using the Nikon RAW processors like CaptureNX and/or ViewNX which embeds render receipes inside the RAW file. So if the RAW file would be processed by a third party engine (which of course does not understand the receipes) the result would dramatically differ from the developed RAW. Unfortunately there are a lot of DAM applications that use their own renderer instead of the embedded JPEG which makes them virtually useless for CNX/VNX users.

Even users with other cams can have development receipes in the RAW file that are reflected in the JPEG preview created by the camera. E.g. color styles with Canon.

The manual option (if the choice is persistent) seems to be the most flexible thing for Nikon and Olympus users.

• Upvote 1

My workflow for rating images from a catalog is to use a LightTable like feature to quickly view the files and assign a rating to them for initial triage. If there is a setting that allows me to ensure I do not have to make multiple mouse clicks to scan through my images, that will be a ideal choice.

I am not looking for Daminion to be a RAW processor like CaptureOne; however, a DAM software should have the ability to view RAW images in their full fidelity. If the menu choices you have shown can persist between images as I scan through them and between sessions (so I do not have to re-select each time I use the software), that will be great.

Thanks for the consideration.