Online Daminion version

Murat

A small Denmark based company offers a web-service (http://roozz.com) that allows to rent Daminion like renting cars:

Daminion can be launched on a web-browser via a small Roozz plugin:

http://test.roozz.com/apps/1263/Daminion.htm

2012-08-28_134117.gif

This feature works on the Windows platform only.

So my question is - do you need such capability with Daminion?

Murat - would this enable users to access your Daminion database remotely from other machines outside your own network? If it does.. then this would be a HUGE addition in my opinion... I've been trying to get this to work with many other DAM programs unsuccessfully. My main goal is to be able to work on and view my images from other machines basically creating a local version of my work without having to duplicate files online or locally...

I liken what I need to my ebook collection.. using the program Calibre - I can use their server function to access my collection from any web browser on any machine so long as the service is running on my database.

Idimager has such a service as well but I have been able to get it to open to the web nor does it run without the main program also running (and the whole thing is locked down via scripts and a requisite knowledge of the inner functions of Idimager).

Murat - would this enable users to access your Daminion database remotely from other machines outside your own network? If it does.. then this would be a HUGE addition in my opinion... I've been trying to get this to work with many other DAM programs unsuccessfully. My main goal is to be able to work on and view my images from other machines basically creating a local version of my work without having to duplicate files online or locally...

Unfortunately Roozz doesn't provide such capability. But you can access to your Daminion Server remotely via Internet using VPN or by redirecting ports on your switch device. For example, I can access to Daminion Server in our office from my home PC using VPN. Here a small article on our blog explaining this.

The only benefits of the Roozz in our case, is launching Daminion without installation (except waiting while Roozz plugin will be downloaded and launched) and a different payment method, like renting cars.

I liken what I need to my ebook collection.. using the program Calibre - I can use their server function to access my collection from any web browser on any machine so long as the service is running on my database.

Thanks for the link. I took a brief look at Calibre: and if I correctly understood you can share your ebook for other users in your Local network and others might read shared books by web-browsers. But you can't access to your ebook except you have an external IP address. With external IP address (or via redirecting ports in your switch device) you can provide the same access to Daminion Server using Daminion Clients outside of your local network (but without web-access of course).

Thanks for the link. I took a brief look at Calibre: and if I correctly understood you can share your ebook for other users in your Local network and others might read shared books by web-browsers. But you can't access to your ebook except you have an external IP address. With external IP address (or via redirecting ports in your switch device) you can provide the same access to Daminion Server using Daminion Clients outside of your local network (but without web-access of course).

Hi Murat - thx for the responses.. Using the Calibre server, I can actually access my ebooks from any external location as well. Basically, using a static IP address (or DNS address), I always have access to my ebook collection from any browser at any location that the service is running on.

My ultimate desire is to have the same functionality available for my image database without having to VPN or use another portal to a specific PC. While this works, it doesn't offer the same type of access that the server model does (ie: providing access to others directly via a web browser).

Highly recommend this be researched at some point because as far as I'm aware, NO dam program on the market offers this level of control and/or access to a remote database from a web browser.