My first impressions

Mammut

Hi,

I just started to use Daminion and it's great!

I used AcdSee, it's a very limited DAM, yes, but there are two things which I like in it.

The first: the full screen viewer is very fast and it's real full screen, only the picture's on the screen.

I'm happy to see that there will be a hotkey (F) to hide the bars in Daminion's full screen mode. I'm waiting for it. I'd like to view my images, not just categorize them. :)

The second: it's supporting image files in archives (rar, zip, or their comic book format extensions, cbr and cbz). I can't change the metadata of the files in them, but I compress the image sets after I tagged them, so I can categorize and store them easily. And I can put my comics in the database, too, so I can create custom reading orders, I can filter the characters by tags, etc., etc.

I saw that you added support for cbr/cbz to your feature queue, it's great. I hope there will be full archive files support, too. :)

But I have a lot of images and I need better organizing solutions, so AcdSee isn't enough for me. I tried a lot of image organizers but I didn't find the real thing. Mainly because they're more about image editing than organizing.

Then I used IDImager trial for a month in May, and there are great ideas, it's a very good DAM! But unfortunately it has a lot of bugs, it was very unstable. And I hate the border in full screen mode. :( So I didn't buy it.

I tried to find a similar, good DAM since then (hierarchical keywords with boolean filters, supporting a lot of images, IPTC extension, etc.). And now I found Daminion, it has a more stable feeling, it knows a lot, I love your custom tags ideas! So I'm here, thank you for it. I hope that I'll remain long and buy the finished version later. In the meantime I'll use the beta versions and "test" them. :)

Best Regards,

mammut

PS: sorry for my English.

The first: the full screen viewer is very fast and it's real full screen, only the picture's on the screen.

I'm happy to see that there will be a hotkey (F) to hide the bars in Daminion's full screen mode. I'm waiting for it. I'd like to view my images, not just categorize them. :)

Thanks for your feedback! This feature is available in 595 build. Use F11 key to hide the toolbar in the full screen (F key is reserved to flag images).

The second: it's supporting image files in archives (rar, zip, or their comic book format extensions, cbr and cbz). I can't change the metadata of the files in them, but I compress the image sets after I tagged them, so I can categorize and store them easily. And I can put my comics in the database, too, so I can create custom reading orders, I can filter the characters by tags, etc., etc.

I saw that you added support for cbr/cbz to your feature queue, it's great. I hope there will be full archive files support, too. :)

Even if we'll add support for archive formats (rar, zip) this will not allows you to browse the content of archives, like ACDSee does.

I tried to find a similar, good DAM since then (hierarchical keywords with boolean filters, supporting a lot of images, IPTC extension, etc.). And now I found Daminion, it has a more stable feeling, it knows a lot, I love your custom tags ideas! So I'm here, thank you for it. I hope that I'll remain long and buy the finished version later. In the meantime I'll use the beta versions and "test" them. :)

I appreciate for the kind words! What do you mean by Custom Tags? This is a feature that will be available in Daminion 0.9.6, but it doesn't available in the current Daminion version.

Actually that is something I was thinking about the other day. I know ACDSee (and several others) pre-decode the next image (and the previous if not already done) when you view something, in order to make looking through a collection in a linear way faster.

Is this something Daminion is doing already? I am guessing not because I get the "rendering..." line every time I move one image forward. If not, perhaps that is an idea for future improvement.

A set of improvements are planned for the future Daminion versions, including speed up the Image Viewing in full screen mode.

At the moment rendering of images are slow for:

- network based images

- rotated images (90 CW/CCW) (will be improved)

- images with built-in color profile (except sRGB, for ex: Adobe RGB) (will be improved)

Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for your feedback! This feature is available in 595 build. Use F11 key to hide the toolbar in the full screen (F key is reserved to flag images).

Oh, I just found the topic with the builds. I tried to update from Daminion, and it said it's the latest version, but I see now that it's (592). I'm sorry!

I just installed the 595 build and F11 is working great, thank you! :)

Even if we'll add support for archive formats (rar, zip) this will not allows you to browse the content of archives, like ACDSee does.

Oh, I see. :(

But it's just a little, uhm, comfortability issue, I care more about the tagging and filtering, so it's not a deal breaker.

I appreciate for the kind words! What do you mean by Custom Tags? This is a feature that will be available in Daminion 0.9.6, but it doesn't available in the current Daminion version.

I just like the ideas. I saw some pictures yesterday on the forum with "Test 1", "Test 2", etc. in the Catalog Tags' customize menu, so later we can create our own categories, I guess. It has a lot of possibilities and I wait for it.

A set of improvements are planned for the future Daminion versions, including speed up the Image Viewing in full screen mode.

At the moment rendering of images are slow for:

- network based images

- rotated images (90 CW/CCW) (will be improved)

- images with built-in color profile (except sRGB, for ex: Adobe RGB) (will be improved)

My images are on an internal hdd, they are not rotated and as I see there is no built-in color profile (edit: seriously, I'm blind, there is color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1).

But these are hq pictures, their average resolution is about 3-4000px. There is about 1-2 second waiting with the "Rendering..." text.

I really like AcdSee's speed, it's really fast with high resolution images. I hope that Daminion will speed up, too. It's way faster than Lightroom already, I have to wait at least 3-4 seconds there. :)

I just like the ideas. I saw some pictures yesterday on the forum with "Test 1", "Test 2", etc. in the Catalog Tags' customize menu, so later we can create our own categories, I guess. It has a lot of possibilities and I wait for it.

Oh, I see now that they're just the presets, I can create them, too. I thought they contains new root tags.

I read a request about user-defined root items in a topic, I can't find it now, but I guess I mixed it up with that. My bad. :)

But I'm waiting for it anyway. :)