Import Error messages

Sydney007

Using Dominion 0.9.0 (build 525).

Let me tell you its a great piece of software. Like everything, there is always scope for improvement - hence this note!

While importing, errors are reported. Some are obvious - like "Item exists", and others not so obvious - like "access denied". Any help available to understand the "not so obvious" errors?

Also, if I try to copy a folder of images (which I had already copied earlier, but accidentally copied again), I get a huge list of "item exists". My suggestion is to have some of these errors reported by user configuration via "Preferences". Something like a row of messages with three columns of radio buttons against each - Ignore, Warn, Error.

Also, would it be possible to print/save import error messages, for audit purposes. I have images all over the place and I am trying to get them together in one drive and want to be 100% sure that every image/video has been copied into Daminion before deleting the source folders. A list of images copied/not copied will be most helpful (another member has suggested a .csv file) which I like.

Also, through "preferences" would it be possible to set a maximum limit of errors after which the import aborts. That will take care of accidentally trying to load images which had already been previously loaded.

While importing, errors are reported. Some are obvious - like "Item exists", and others not so obvious - like "access denied". Any help available to understand the "not so obvious" errors?

I suspect that you tried to import files to Daminion Server, correct?

Daminion Server launches as a Windows service. Each Windows Service might be launched under different user rights that might be differ from the user you use to log in to your system. So it's quite common that Daminion Server and Daminion Client were launched with two different users, with two different set of rights.

And even if you see the importing files within Daminion Client it doesn't mean that Daminion Server user has enough rights to access to the importing files.

We plan to display a more detailed info about file/folder access permissions on the future Daminion versions.

Also, if I try to copy a folder of images (which I had already copied earlier, but accidentally copied again), I get a huge list of "item exists". My suggestion is to have some of these errors reported by user configuration via "Preferences". Something like a row of messages with three columns of radio buttons against each - Ignore, Warn, Error.

Need some clarification. "Ignore", "Warn" and "Error" are a too general messages and don't tell what's the problem with a file.

Also, would it be possible to print/save import error messages, for audit purposes. I have images all over the place and I am trying to get them together in one drive and want to be 100% sure that every image/video has been copied into Daminion before deleting the source folders. A list of images copied/not copied will be most helpful (another member has suggested a .csv file) which I like.

Daminion can import files With or Without copying the files to a new location. I guess your suggestion is related to the first case, when you checked the "Copy files to..." option?

Also, through "preferences" would it be possible to set a maximum limit of errors after which the import aborts. That will take care of accidentally trying to load images which had already been previously loaded.

It's too specific feature and we need to wait a feedback and requests from other users before implementing it.

I suspect that you tried to import files to Daminion Server, correct?

No, I am using Daminion stand alone - not the multi-user server-based version.

Daminion Server launches as a Windows service. Each Windows Service might be launched under different user rights that might be differ from the user you use to log in to your system. So it's quite common that Daminion Server and Daminion Client were launched with two different users, with two different set of rights.

And even if you see the importing files within Daminion Client it doesn't mean that Daminion Server user has enough rights to access to the importing files.

We plan to display a more detailed info about file/folder access permissions on the future Daminion versions.

Need some clarification. "Ignore", "Warn" and "Error" are a too general messages and don't tell what's the problem with a file.

Daminion can import files With or Without copying the files to a new location. I guess your suggestion is related to the first case, when you checked the "Copy files to..." option?

It's too specific feature and we need to wait a feedback and requests from other users before implementing it.