More than 1000 pictures at one time?

salient

Hello all,

I am working with 290000 images and need to assign the same copyright and same category "Landscapes" to all of them. I can use Daminion to do this. I select 1000 images, type in the copyright, and sync. Then move on to the next 1000, repeat.

Doing this 290 times is too much. Is there any way Daminion can show more than 1000 thumbnails, or select more than 1000 of the files at once? Or is there a way to do something I think is called a "batch mode" where you tell Daminion to do something to all 290000 files with one command.

Maybe there is a setting I can change? My computer is very good with plenty of memory and fast processor, so there is no worry of problems with hardware.

Kind regards,

Sal.

P.S. I also submit this same question to the "Ask a Question" because I do not know if that or this is the right place.

Hi Salient,

We can add this as an option on the future daminion versions. As an option I can suggest you to use ExifTool from the command line. You can locate it on the Daminion folder in the Program Files.

Something like the command line below might helps:

Exiftool -copyright=Salient YOUROOTFOLDER

For more info about Exiftool usage please visit its web-site.

Hi Salient,

We can add this as an option on the future daminion versions. As an option I can suggest you to use ExifTool from the command line. You can locate it on the Daminion folder in the Program Files.

Something like the command line below might helps:

Exiftool -copyright=Salient YOUROOTFOLDER

For more info about Exiftool usage please visit its web-site.

Thank you very much! The Exiftool is perfect. I closed Daminion and ran Exiftool to add the new tags. I read Exiftool website and used "MGW" and "IPTC" options to make sure my tags were written to IPTC. It worked! My files now all have correct tags. I verify the tags with my image viewer IrfanView. So far so good!

However I am having another different trouble with Daminion. Hopefully it is simple to help.

The 290000 files were already in my Daminion catalog, with no tags. I close Daminion, use Exiftool, verify it made the tags with my image viewer. Then I open Daminion again. When I load my Daminion catalog, it does not know to load the new tags that the Exiftool created. I try to click Sync. It says no unsynced files. It looks that Daminion does not know it needs to re-read the files to get new tag data. I try Refresh (F5) but I do not think this triggered a read the new tags sync. I also try adding the files again. When I re-add the files, Daminion says they are already part of the catalog, true, but it does not attempt to update tags.

Only solution I have found is, remove all the files I tagged with Exiftool from Daminion catalog, then add the files back into Daminion. This takes alot more time (I think to recreate the thumbnails) and it seems like Daminion maybe has better solution I do not find yet.

User wiki is very good resource, but does not say how to tell Daminion to re-load tags from my 290000 updated files. Wiki says for add new files, "Daminon ignores the existing files and adds new files to the catalog." But how to read new tags from files? I cannot find. I think it might be use Refresh in some way? Maybe?

I did not see a "reload tags from files" option in Daminion or wiki. If this does not exist, maybe feature request. Ideal feature request would be reload tags from files dialog box, to select either "remove all tags currently stored in Daminion and then load tags from files" or "keep tags in Daminion, but let any tags in file to overwrite any tags in Daminion" or "do not overwrite any tags already in Daminion" option?

Or perhaps, a "refresh all" that reads tag data from files and chooses which data is newer for each tag. (But maybe that is not possible to know when a tag was added, from file data. So that is why I suggest dialog box option.)

Thank you very much. Your software is very good and the wiki is very helpful to learn it.

You can update tags from the image metadata by two ways:

1. Select the files. Then right click on the selection and navigate to the Actions menu and then select the 'Read Tag from Metadata' option.

This approach requires selection of all pages of files before. So for a large amount of files you need to select files in each page, one by one.

2. The latest Daminion build (548) has an option to rescan the imported folders. During rescanning all the tags will updated according to the externally updated metadata.

Do you use the Daminion Standalone or Server versions, so I can send you a link to download.

You can update tags from the image metadata by two ways:

1. Select the files. Then right click on the selection and navigate to the Actions menu and then select the 'Read Tag from Metadata' option.

This approach requires selection of all pages of files before. So for a large amount of files you need to select files in each page, one by one.

2. The latest Daminion build (548) has an option to rescan the imported folders. During rescanning all the tags will updated according to the externally updated metadata.

Do you use the Daminion Standalone or Server versions, so I can send you a link to download.

I am using Daminion Standalone build 525. Thank you in advance for the link to download the build (548), the new rescan option you describe is perfect. :)