A bunch of questions, requests and suggestions

focus

Hey, guys!

I'd like to add here some questions, requests and suggestions accumulated during few weeks of Dominion using.

Paging

Could be nice to be able to set the items per page or disable paging at all somewhere in Settings.

Also paging is really hard to notice first time =\

Tags assign mode

I like how it works, but could be nice to be able to switch filters too (like it was previously). It would be helpful while assigning tags to many images sorted by different folders, let say, by dates:

2010 - 01
2011 - 01
etc

If I could change filters while assigning tags, I will be free from additional button clicking (return to the Filter mode) after every folder.

Tags storing

Could be nice to have some more tags embedding and storing options.

As example, it could be useful to be able to disable tags embedding at all (and keep them in the dmc only).

Applying this tags settings to all tagged files could be useful too - remove or store tags from/to all tagged files. I saw Write Tags to file metadata command, maybe making new check box menu item "Store tags in file metadata" enabled by default could help here.

Tags changing

Sometimes I have this issue:

Tags saved to the IPTC:

Test|Parent,Test|Parent|Child

If I change the "Child" category name to the lets say "Bad Child", I see tags in the IPTC:

Test|Parent,Bad Child - looks like part of the hierarchy is gone.

This happens if I add image to the "Parent" category first, and then to the "Child" category. Tag renaming works fine if I add image to the "Child" category first and to the "Parent" category after that.

Removing folders from database

Could be nice to have ability to remove entire folder with all subfolders and files in it from catalog completely.

Subcategories items count

Could be useful to see the sub-categories items count in the Categories and open all items from all sub-categories, just like in the "Folder". Maybe, optionally.

Rescan Folder... feature results

Could be nice to see some kind of message with list of things done while scanning folders - what items was absent, what items was added, etc.

Show all metadata

Looks like it doesn't work with file names containing not Latin chars, like ываыва.jpg

Sync issue

If I create new catalog and add one new jpg to it, I see this:

http://j.mp/N9pX75

And looks like auto-sync is not working.

Thanks for this great app, it is exactly what I've searched for!

• Upvote 1

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay with answer. I really appreciated the long drawn list of the suggestions. My answers below.

Paging

Could be nice to be able to set the items per page or disable paging at all somewhere in Settings. Also paging is really hard to notice first time =\

Once we'll implement the core functionality we'll start to optimize and polish the UI including these features.

Tags assign mode

I like how it works, but could be nice to be able to switch filters too (like it was previously). It would be helpful while assigning tags to many images sorted by different folders, let say, by dates:

2010 - 01
2011 - 01
etc

If I could change filters while assigning tags, I will be free from additional button clicking (return to the Filter mode) after every folder.

You can right click on a tag and navigate to the 'Show Files with "TAG"' option from the context menu. However this will appends the selected tag to an existing query (similar behavior like clicking on a tag by holding the Ctrl key).

We think about replacing Ctrl + Click behavior to Click. In this case you will be able to display files assigned to a tag from the "Tag Assignment" mode.

Tags storing

Could be nice to have some more tags embedding and storing options.

As example, it could be useful to be able to disable tags embedding at all (and keep them in the dmc only).

You can turn off the metadata mapping by clicking on the "Sync" button and selecting the "Turn Off Auto-Syncing Tags with Metadata" option. Keeping the tags in the catalog only is not recommended. Because as any other database it can be damaged for any reasons, and storing tags in the file metadata is an easy way to retrieve your annotations in case of the corrupting the Daminion catalog. The best way is to switch the metadata mapping off during the time of tag assignment, and then switch it on after job will be completed, and go to drink a coffer :)

Tags changing

Sometimes I have this issue:

Tags saved to the IPTC:

Test|Parent,Test|Parent|Child

If I change the "Child" category name to the lets say "Bad Child", I see tags in the IPTC:Test|Parent,Bad Child - looks like part of the hierarchy is gone.

This happens if I add image to the "Parent" category first, and then to the "Child" category. Tag renaming works fine if I add image to the "Child" category first and to the "Parent" category after that.

I’ve tried it a few times but without luck. Could you please record us a short demo to help us to reproduce the issue using this small utility:

http://faststone.org/FSCapturerDownload.htm

Removing folders from database

Could be nice to have ability to remove entire folder with all subfolders and files in it from catalog completely.

Improving file/folder management is planned after implementing User Roles, Custom Tags and a few other features.

Subcategories items count

Could be useful to see the sub-categories items count in the Categories and open all items from all sub-categories, just like in the "Folder". Maybe, optionally.

Will be available in the next minor update. Btw this was the most frequently requested feature.

Show all metadata

Looks like it doesn't work with file names containing not Latin chars, like ываыва.jpg

Fixed. Thank you!

Sync issue

If I create new catalog and add one new jpg to it, I see this:

http://j.mp/N9pX75

And looks like auto-sync is not working.

This is a minor glitch in the latest build: a code with localizable string was included into the build without corresponding translation. The correct menu item is:

Turn Off Auto-Syncing Tags with Metadata

Categories vs Collection

Ah and forgot to ask about Categories vs Collection. Could you describe how they differ from each other?

Good question. A few explanations from Daminion users (Franky68 and Vinc) can be found here.

The differences of behavior of these two tags in Daminion are:

1. Categories.

- Might be hierarchical

- Mapped to metadata (IPTC, XMP)

2. Collections

- Plain structure.

- We plan to support remember the media item custom sorting order within each collection. The sorting order can be important for printing, publishing online, slideshow, etc...

In the current Daminion versions it's possible to change the thumbnail order manually but this state will not be restored after a new program start

- Not mapped to metadata. Collections are stored in the catalog (database) only.

Once we'll implement the core functionality we'll start to optimize and polish the UI including these features.

Great, thanks!

You can right click on a tag and navigate to the 'Show Files with "TAG"' option from the context menu. However this will appends the selected tag to an existing query (similar behavior like clicking on a tag by holding the Ctrl key).

We think about replacing Ctrl + Click behavior to Click. In this case you will be able to display files assigned to a tag from the "Tag Assignment" mode.

Looks like I was not clear enough with my question =\ I mean ability to change filters while assigning the tags, to be able to change folders in Folder section while assigning the tags. Now I have to press "Return to Filter Mode" to switch a folder.

You can turn off the metadata mapping by clicking on the "Sync" button and selecting the "Turn Off Auto-Syncing Tags with Metadata" option. Keeping the tags in the catalog only is not recommended. Because as any other database it can be damaged for any reasons, and storing tags in the file metadata is an easy way to retrieve your annotations in case of the corrupting the Daminion catalog. The best way is to switch the metadata mapping off during the time of tag assignment, and then switch it on after job will be completed, and go to drink a coffer :)

Haha, I see, good tip! But I mean mostly removing tags from already tagged media in case of exporting media files somewhere else (like giving files to friend), just to clean them from tags, to keep tags private.

I’ve tried it a few times but without luck. Could you please record us a short demo to help us to reproduce the issue using this small utility:

http://faststone.org/FSCapturerDownload.htm

Yeah, sure, check it out:

http://codestage.ru/dump/dominion/bug1.mp4

Improving file/folder management is planned after implementing User Roles, Custom Tags and a few other features.

Nice, thanks!

Will be available in the next minor update. Btw this was the most frequently requested feature.

Awesome!

Fixed. Thank you!

Yay!)

This is a minor glitch in the latest build: a code with localizable string was included into the build without corresponding translation. The correct menu item is:

Turn Off Auto-Syncing Tags with Metadata <All items are synced>

Hmm, but why the Sync icon is like Sync is off? And looks like it really doesn't auto sync tags (you can see how I'm using manual tags writing in screencast).

Good question. A few explanations from Daminion users (Franky68 and Vinc) can be found here.

The differences of behavior of these two tags in Daminion are:

1. Categories.

- Might be hierarchical

- Mapped to metadata (IPTC, XMP)

2. Collections

- Plain structure.

- We plan to support remember the media item custom sorting order within each collection. The sorting order can be important for printing, publishing online, slideshow, etc...

In the current Daminion versions it's possible to change the thumbnail order manually but this state will not be restored after a new program start

- Not mapped to metadata. Collections are stored in the catalog (database) only.

I see now, thanks! But looks like all Collections functionality could be replaced by Categories if you'll implement option to write Tags into IPTC for every category)

I mean if you wish to print something or show some collection - just create new root category without tags to IPTC writing and place all images there...

Just thinking of more simplicity for users...

Thanks for all your answers!

And... could you comment one more suggestion, please?

Could be nice to see some kind of message with list of things done while scanning folders - what items was absent, what items was added, etc.

Looks like I was not clear enough with my question =\ I mean ability to change filters while assigning the tags, to be able to change folders in Folder section while assigning the tags. Now I have to press "Return to Filter Mode" to switch a folder.

Sorry for the possibly unclear explanation, but even in the Assign Tag mode you can right click on a tag, and select 'Show Files with "TAG"' option from the appeared context menu. This allows you to select a tag without pressing the "Return to Filter Mode" button. The only disadvantage of this option it doesn't clear previous tag selection. But we think about changing this behavior in the future.

Haha, I see, good tip! But I mean mostly removing tags from already tagged media in case of exporting media files somewhere else (like giving files to friend), just to clean them from tags, to keep tags private.

We plan to add an option to remove image Metadata (or leave just the copyright info) into the Export.

Yeah, sure, check it out:

http://codestage.ru/dump/dominion/bug1.mp4

Thanks for the nice video. I still unable to reproduce the error on my side. Could you please check the result by Daminion instead of the XNView:

Right click on the thumbnail, then navigate to Advanced > Show All Metadata

And... could you comment one more suggestion, please?

We'll taken into account this suggestion. Thank you.

Sorry for the possibly unclear explanation, but even in the Assign Tag mode you can right click on a tag, and select 'Show Files with "TAG"' option from the appeared context menu. This allows you to select a tag without pressing the "Return to Filter Mode" button. The only disadvantage of this option it doesn't clear previous tag selection. But we think about changing this behavior in the future.

Thanks for the explanation, it's clear enough, but I meant not tagged files in the Folder section - how to switch Folders with new, untagged files in the "Folder" section being in the Assign Tag mode?

And more, looks like Show files with "TAG" (or Show files with "Folder" in case we're right-clicking on folder in the "Folder" section) just doesn't work in the Assign Tag mode - I see filtered images before going to the Assign Tag mode only.

We plan to add an option to remove image Metadata (or leave just the copyright info) into the Export.

Great, thanks!

Thanks for the nice video. I still unable to reproduce the error on my side. Could you please check the result by Daminion instead of the XNView:

Right click on the thumbnail, then navigate to Advanced > Show All Metadata

Yeah, but there is a same result:

— IPTC — Application Record Version 2

Supplemental Categories 1|2, 3_3

I've already pm'ed you on habrahabr with more complete description =)

Common steps to reproduce:

1. Create the catalog, import image, create parent and child category (let say parent will be "1" and child - "2" in the parent).

2. Assign photo to the tag "1" and "2".

3. Save tegs to the metadata (using Sync — Write Tags to File Metadata).

4. Select and filter by the parent category ("1").

5. Rename child category (not changing filter!).

6. Save tegs to the metadata (using Sync — Write Tags to File Metadata).

Bug should be reproduced...

Hope it helps!

And more, looks like Show files with "TAG" (or Show files with "Folder" in case we're right-clicking on folder in the "Folder" section) just doesn't work in the Assign Tag mode - I see filtered images before going to the Assign Tag mode only.

Fixed. Thanks!

Yeah, but there is a same result:

— IPTC — Application Record Version 2

Supplemental Categories 1|2, 3_3

I've already pm'ed you on habrahabr with more complete description =)

Common steps to reproduce:

1. Create the catalog, import image, create parent and child category (let say parent will be "1" and child - "2" in the parent).

2. Assign photo to the tag "1" and "2".

3. Save tegs to the metadata (using Sync — Write Tags to File Metadata).

4. Select and filter by the parent category ("1").

5. Rename child category (not changing filter!).

6. Save tegs to the metadata (using Sync — Write Tags to File Metadata).

Bug should be reproduced...

Hope it helps!

Thanks for the nice explanation. I finally reproduced it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey again!

Murat, thanks for taking into account all my wishes and comments, and I'm very glad to see the new build!

Just to keep forum cleaner, I'd like to share here with you some other feature requests:

1. Could be nice to switch images with Space bar and Backspace keys, as it works in many other image viewers. Or to have ability to switch keys mapping. Because using cursor arrows is not always possible (arrows moves image if it's zoomed) and mouse wheel is not always comfortable to use too.

2. Reset zoom to the "Fit Image" after image switch option could be very useful too.

3. I'd glad to view images in totally full screen mode, without bar with caption on top. Maybe background-transparent label with image categories\tags in the top-left corner would be enough in fill screen.

3. Could be nice to have an option about image (or even several images) pre-caching while viewing images - to avoid that "Rendering..." label and to switch next image faster.

4. Also I have some annoying behavior of Dominion: when I filter using some category, I can press CTRL+A to select all filtered items, but if I'll try to press Del button, I'll see the Tag deletion dialog, but not the Images from Tag deletion one. I know I still have focus on selected category, but it's not easy to understand it first time because CTRL+A selects filtered images even with focus on category. So maybe it would be better to change focus to the images thumbs preview area after filtering?

#1 and #3 added to the feature list.

2. Reset zoom to the "Fit Image" after image switch option could be very useful too.

We received a few requests to preserve image zoom after switching to the next image, so

I don't know which behavior is right at the moment. I personally prefer to preserve zoom value but may be it should be configured optionally.

3. Could be nice to have an option about image (or even several images) pre-caching while viewing images - to avoid that "Rendering..." label and to switch next image faster.

We planned a series of performance improvements including image pre-caching, optimizing rendering images with built-in color profile, etc...

#1 and #3 added to the feature list.

Great, thanks!

We received a few requests to preserve image zoom after switching to the next image, so

I don't know which behavior is right at the moment. I personally prefer to preserve zoom value but may be it should be configured optionally.

Yeah, I'm totally with you here - sometimes I prefer keeping zoom too, but sometimes not - new option for this is a good solution here!

We planned a series of performance improvements including image pre-caching, optimizing rendering images with built-in color profile, etc...

Great!

What could you say about #4?

And one more FR:

5. Could be nice to zoom at the mouse pointer - i.e. zoom to the area where the mouse pointer is (using CTRL + Mouse Wheel).

What could you say about #4?

We can focus the Thumbnail Items after pressing Ctrl + A, but you will need to move the focus back the Catalog Tags tree by mouse.

5. Could be nice to zoom at the mouse pointer - i.e. zoom to the area where the mouse pointer is (using CTRL + Mouse Wheel).

Ctrl + Mouse wheel is reserved for going to the next/prev images. But you can zoom to the mouse cursor by the click.

We can focus the Thumbnail Items after pressing Ctrl + A, but you will need to move the focus back the Catalog Tags tree by mouse.

Yes, it would be more user-friendly from my point! If you select all filtered items, you usually do something with them next...

Ctrl + Mouse wheel is reserved for going to the next/prev images. But you can zoom to the mouse cursor by the click.

Yeah, I saw click-zoom - it looks nice, but looks like it has fized zoom level, but sometimes we need to zoom even more..

Maybe Mouse wheel for zoom-to-pointer is not so bad if Ctrl + Mouse wheel will be for going to the next/prev images?

1. Could be nice to switch images with Space bar and Backspace keys, as it works in many other image viewers. Or to have ability to switch keys mapping. Because using cursor arrows is not always possible (arrows moves image if it's zoomed) and mouse wheel is not always comfortable to use too.

3. I'd glad to view images in totally full screen mode, without bar with caption on top. Maybe background-transparent label with image categories\tags in the top-left corner would be enough in fill screen.

Implemented in the 576 version

Please enter into the Full Screen mode, then press F key.