No entries in Parent tags

joran

When I create hierarchical tags (Keywords, Categories etc), it’s only possible to select / search the last tag in the hierarchical chain (the child tag) in the Tag panel. The parent tag(s) are empty.

An example. I create these hierarchical Categories:

Event|Vacation|Trip to Russia

Event|Vacation|Trip to Spain

The parent Categories Event and Vacation are empty. So it’s not possible to search for all instances of Vacation or all instances of Event (in the tag panel).

The problem is: sometimes I’m interested in my trip to Russia, sometimes all my trips. So, at least in the database, you should assign the parent tag(s) to all the pictures containing the child tag(s).

As it is now, I have to a) manually select both the tag Trip to Russia and the tag Trip to Spain to view all pictures from these trips. As long as there is only two trips, this is not a problem. But with many trips (child tags) this is a serious limitation in Daminion.

Or B) manually select all pictures with the tags Trip to Russia and Trip to Spain and manually assign the parent category Vacation to these photos. (And the parent tag Event).

The problem is the same for hierarchical tags in the main tag groups People, Event, Keywords and Categories.

But parent tags in the Place group are automatically populated because all tags are stored as separate entries in the IPTC fields.

Jøran Toresen

• Upvote 1

Very good question, Joran!

BTW we plan to replace this forum with a new forum engine (Invision Board/IPBoard) where user posts can be rated.

Unfortunately this is the Daminion limitation. You point me to the workaround to solve this issue for hierarchical tags like categories and keywords. A file can be assigned to multiple categories or keywords.

For example in case of the Categories, you can assign two tags to the same image: Vacation and Vacation|Trip to Russia.

But in case of the tags like Event (where file can be assigned to just on Event value) I see two ways to show files in Vacation parent tag:

1. As you said you need to manually select all the Vacation children tags

2. By Advanced Search (or Saved Search). You need to build a query like this:

Event contains vacation

Implementing this feature is required some efforts. But we'll get back to this issue once implementing the pool of the "must-have" features and fixed all the major bugs.