Comments from a new user

MoebiusStreet

I just started using Daminion this weekend, and thought I'd report back some of my experiences.

First, it was slow getting started, adding photos to the DB. It started out snappy, but as it got into the thousands of photos, things started to drag. By the time I got through adding about 17,000, it had taken something like 16 hours. Also, I found that changing views in the UI wasn't very responsive.

The search navigation on the left-hand side works pretty well, except I couldn't find any way to clear out all selected criteria. That means that to return to a default "all photos", I had to open up each dimension to see if I'd chosen any criteria there. There ought to be a "clear all" button around there somewhere.

Keeping track of the people in my photos is important to me. The first thing I do when I copy photos out of the camera is to run them through Picasa to identify faces. I then run it through a post-processor [1] that extracts the Picasa data into standard tags. While ACDSee is able to identify the tags that these were placed in (and understands that they represent people), Daminion doesn't seem to get them.

Finally, I need a way to handle the file management part of my workflow. I don't think I can safely do that outside the tool, since I'd need to re-sync the source and destination directories. What I'm looking for is a way to handle the movement from the local hard drive (where I do my initial rating and editing) to my networked drive for storage, and to optical disc for backup.

[1] http://cris.lovell-smith.com/downloads/picasa-face-embedder

The search navigation on the left-hand side works pretty well, except I couldn't find any way to clear out all selected criteria. That means that to return to a default "all photos", I had to open up each dimension to see if I'd chosen any criteria there. There ought to be a "clear all" button around there somewhere.

If I understood that right, try either using the menu on the bar above the thumbnails that shows the current search, or the "home" button to show all images:

znk3sw.png

And I have to agree, the initial import of images does feel a bit slow, and the UI is not very responsive while it is in progress. I almost wondered if the program did not use a separate thread to call the external programs that do part of the work.

Guys, thanks for your input!

First, it was slow getting started, adding photos to the DB. It started out snappy, but as it got into the thousands of photos, things started to drag. By the time I got through adding about 17,000, it had taken something like 16 hours. Also, I found that changing views in the UI wasn't very responsive.

Import speed is not completely optimized yet. And the performance depends from the importing media formats. What media formats did you import and with what average file/image size?

Keeping track of the people in my photos is important to me. The first thing I do when I copy photos out of the camera is to run them through Picasa to identify faces. I then run it through a post-processor [1] that extracts the Picasa data into standard tags. While ACDSee is able to identify the tags that these were placed in (and understands that they represent people), Daminion doesn't seem to get them.

This utility writes people names into a new XMP (Microsoft Photo Region) schema. I've added it to our feature list.

Finally, I need a way to handle the file management part of my workflow. I don't think I can safely do that outside the tool, since I'd need to re-sync the source and destination directories. What I'm looking for is a way to handle the movement from the local hard drive (where I do my initial rating and editing) to my networked drive for storage, and to optical disc for backup.

We continuously improve the abilities of the Daminion to reflect for outside changes:

- Storing Relative links for the importing files allows you to migrate the entire folder with your catalog and media files into any location.

- Rescan Folders feature (implemented partially in 499 and 503 builds) allows you to rescan an imported folder for an external file/folder/metadata changes

- Rescan Folders feature (implemented partially in 499 and 503 builds) allows you to rescan an imported folder for an external file/folder/metadata changes

Sorry for being OT here, but where do you get the latest build?

On the homepage it's 0.8.9.477, in the announcement section of the forum it's 0.9.0.482, I got a link to 0.9.0.497 from the DonationCoder forum, and now you mention two even newer builds here.

Sorry, these are the nightly builds that are not published officially. Usually we send them to some users by request as bug-fixes for the issues they reported us.

They are not thoroughly tested so we don't publish them.

Ah that makes sense, thank you for clarifying.