Very Nice Software But Really Good for Archiving?

DarioAngelo

Hi !

I'm looking for software that would handle XMP with many files as I want to introduce 'deep', intelligent archiving.

My questions are:

1. Is your tagging/metadata platform fully compatible with, say, CS5 or the like as before I start the job, I want to make sure my info is read and recognised by different programs (as long as they handle XMP, of course :)

2. I like your catalogs as a virtual chance to start sorting out my file chaos. As I understand, I can restore order in your 'system', tag, organise, but when I.m ready with some part, I want to change these files position later in the real drive as well. You wrote about relative paths by which you can detect folders while their location is changed. What worries me is that when I have a file in your catalog and I change its position in the drive, will it affect its accessibility in your catalog? If not, perfect, bingo - I love your concept ! In other words - does the relative path adress apply only to folders, or also to files ?

3. If, for any reason, I'll decide to uninstall the software without any care for deleting my folders/files from your catalogs, I guess/hope no harm will be done to my assets.

That,s all for now

Waiting for your advice :)

Hi Dario!

1. Daminion writes database information (catalog tags) into the metadata according to the XMP/IPTC specifications. Daminion is compatible on metadata level with any software that follows XMP specification. BTW we use the Adobe XMPToolkit to write the XMP info.

a. Relative paths in Daminion concept means that you can move the Root folder (that contains both: catalog files and folders media files) into any drive or a new folder. And you can work with your catalog on a new location. Ideal for catalogs stored on removable drives.

b. If files or folders were changed outside of the Daminion, let say within Windows Explorer or a third party software, you'll have a chance to re-sync the outside changes with your catalog. I've posted here a link to 484 build that contains a draft version of the "Rescan Folders" feature. It's not completely optimized yet, but will works like a charm on the next public update ;)

3. No, of course. It's like you will uninstall the MS Office from your computer, and all your documents will remain in the 'My Documents' folder.

Let us know if you will have any further questions or suggestions.

Hi Dario!

1. Daminion writes database information (catalog tags) into the metadata according to the XMP/IPTC specifications. Daminion is compatible on metadata level with any software that follows XMP specification. BTW we use the Adobe XMPToolkit to write the XMP info.

a. Relative paths in Daminion concept means that you can move the Root folder (that contains both: catalog files and folders media files) into any drive or a new folder. And you can work with your catalog on a new location. Ideal for catalogs stored on removable drives.

b. If files or folders were changed outside of the Daminion, let say within Windows Explorer or a third party software, you'll have a chance to re-sync the outside changes with your catalog. I've posted here a link to 484 build that contains a draft version of the "Rescan Folders" feature. It's not completely optimized yet, but will works like a charm on the next public update ;)

3. No, of course. It's like you will uninstall the MS Office from your computer, and all your documents will remain in the 'My Documents' folder.

Let us know if you will have any further questions or suggestions.

Hi Murat

Thanks for your reply

I hoped that you might use Adobe XMP Toolkit :) I'm also happy with the rescan option that you are working on ! - it seems it would suit my earlier mentioned needs for step-by-step archiving in the manner of real chaos > virtual order being restored :)

There's one thing that worries me, though. I'v tested various software for its compatibility with XMP standard: yours and Zoner thouroughly enough. I wrote in some tags and other info to both and checked the reading display effect opening them in turns. They were not identical - the info seemad specific for each program (they both employ Adobe Toolkit) I was disappointed as the info shoul travel with the file - otherwise it's useless. I hope I'm making some mistake that can be easily corrected.

Waiting for your advice !

Greetings.

Dario,

Could you please gimme a list of steps so I can reproduce the issue? Or a short screencast.

Well, let me put it this way: I open a photo or a pdf through your edition option, ignore the EXIF part and go to what seems XMP part below an put desired data like category, name, author, tags and the like. Then I click SAVE and that's it. Then I cross-test it with other software: Zoner, XNView (in the case of photos, cause I'v got no other to support pdf metadata). The effect is that data is identical in Zoner and XNView but later changes are not reflected in your soft, eg, title rename is not present and names dleted earlier are visible in your soft.

By the way, it's often not clear what is IPTC and what is XMP in the edition panel in all these programs. I guess you can also create some custom panel or scheme, whatever it's called, but is it possible in your soft ?

Greetings,

Darek

1. We simplified the life of our customers (a bit) with hiding all the metadata standards (EXIF, XMP, IPTC, MWG) from customer's eyes. Instead of working a numerous of metadata formats and a lot of duplicate fields we offer a limited set of Tags.

Each tag is mapped into different metadata fields. And once you'll append a few keywords into an image Daminion will automatically (if the auto-sync feature is turned on) updates the appropriate metadata fields. Some extra info can be found here:

https://help.daminion.net/upcoming-posts/the-main-drawback-of-metadata-and-how-daminion-solves-this-issue/

2. Auto-sync feature works in one direction only: when you change a tag, Daminion updates the metadata. This is why changes made by external applications don't reflect into Daminion.

But on the latest build (not sure if we published it yet) you can update the Tags from the Metadata: Sync > Read Tags from File Metadata. Or via Rescan Folder feature.