Metadata setting

vongoesseln

Since end of last year i am using Daminion Standalone Basic and so far it handles my digital memories from 2007 to 2017 (about 42 GBs) very well. Afetr my wife and i have selected and edited everything on our PC the photofolders will be moved to our Synology Diskstation. This is our first level of backup (2nd one is an automated cloud upload). When the family comes over for a visit we use the original Synology-App on an AppleTV 4 to show our pictures. With this as our setup, i have two major concerns:

1) Metadata XMP: I save/synchronize all the metadata, that has been edited using Daminion, within the pictures. But the Synology App does not see/recognize theses datasets. Is there any kind of workaround?

2) Back in the good ol´ iPhoto days, you were able to define a smart photo "play" list, for example "every pictures with our kids and a rating of 4 or better and not older than 5 months". This was very handy to keep the photo presentations for the grandparents short and interesting, without the need to select the most appropriate pictures. Is there a way to use the smartseraches from Daminion with my PhotoStation AppleTV4 setting (descr. above)?

Hi Guido

There's good news and bad news.

The bad news is that Synology doesn't support the same metadata fields as Daminion. The good news is you can manage the differences in Daminion. How you get to play those on your Apple TV4 is another issue though. You may have to do some work in Daminion to pre select what you want to play back

I assume you can run a web browser on your TV?

What model Disk Station do you have?

Are you up for using the Synology Photo Station app? If you are then you can create a photo library managed by Daminion and use Photo Station through a web browser to present the content,

If you head on over to the Daminion Help System you will find a while section devoted to this topic, written by a Synology geek (that would be... me)

I'll be happy to help so please hit me with questions

Maintaining the library on your PC and uploading the content to Synology is one way of doing it and if you don't mind doing repeated uploads could probably work for you. But another way is to move the library to the NAS and maintain it there, using Daminion on your PC. That's what I do and it works very well with my 15,000 images.

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Paul Barrett

No, therefore i have to use Apple TV 4 and the Synology App.

DS 716+ with 8GB

Are you up for using the Synology Photo Station app? If you are then you can create a photo library managed by Daminion and use Photo Station through a web browser to present the content,

But wouldn´t that at least require the home server? I am on stand alone.

If you head on over to the Daminion Help System you will find a while section devoted to this topic, written by a Synology geek (that would be... me)

I started reading it, but due to my kids, please do not except my questions before june ;-)

Maintaining the library on your PC and uploading the content to Synology is one way of doing it and if you don't mind doing repeated uploads could probably work for you. But another way is to move the library to the NAS and maintain it there, using Daminion on your PC. That's what I do and it works very well with my 15,000 images.

This will depend on the next speed test, because a few month ago i "convinced" my wife, that we need a 1 TB SSD to speed up image handling using her PC. If i move the images back to the NAS, i need seem hard proofed facts.

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Paul Barrett

Regards Guido

I have never figured out how to use multi quote

snapback.pngPaul Barrett, on 25 May 2017 - 10:47 PM, said:

">No, therefore i have to use Apple TV 4 and the Synology App.

All you need is a browser. Although as you are running Apple TV you may be able to install DS Photo from the app store

Paul Barrett said:

>DS 716+ with 8GB

OK I have a DS 716+II with 2GB so we're on similar platforms I have run the software on a lowly 216j with good results too (although not video) Still the 712 should ace transcoding, especially with 8GB (you do know that upgrading the RAM invalidates your warranty?)

Paul Barrett said:

>But wouldnt that at least require the home server? I am on stand alone.

No, you can run Daminion standalone with a NAS based library. The only thing you can't do without the server version is automated bidirectional updates, If you are accustomed to doing all your ;library updates in Daminion then that is business as usual for you. If you forget and edit something in Photo Station, a folder re-scan in Daminion will fix it

You can have multiple catalogs in Daminion. Move a few folders onto the NAS (Make sure you put them in the \photos share) and start a new catalog. Then import those folders to the catalog. Then install Photo Station from Package Centre and, if you can, DS Photo on the Apple TV box. If you can't, use a browser to access Photo Station

Paul Barrett said:

>I started reading it, but due to my kids, please do not except my questions before june ;-)

New puppy here so we have similar issues , but with sharper teeth!

Paul Barrett said:

>This will depend on the next speed test, because a few month ago i "convinced" my wife, that we need a 1 TB SSD to speed up image handling using her PC. If i move the images back to the NAS, i need seem hard proofed facts.

The limiting factor is going to be LAN speed. I work with a hard wired connection whenever possible to minimise network latency. But there's no escaping the fact that the SSD will outperform the network. You will need to try it and see. The strongest argument in favour of having it all on the NAS is data security. Do you have the 716 set up with RAID? If so you have an immediate advantage over local storage, especially if you are backing up the NAS.

Other Isssues:

You are correct that Photo Station does not recognise some of the Daminion metadata. The one thing it DOES recognise though is keywords. I have converted all my places, people and events to keyword tags and they work fine. There are some tricks you can use to convert Daminion's Place, Event, People tags to keywords which basically involves exporting the tags out to a CSV file, editing them and importing them back as keywords.

For smart collections you could run queries in Daminion to do the selection, then save that as a Keyword (under a keyword category e.g. "Collection > Pics for Mum and Dad's Visit" You'd have to wait for the NAS to update the tags

But you could also do it in Photo Station without the need for the NAS to re-index. You navigate to the pics in the web browser and browse the images, adding them to a shared album, created for the occasion. Photo Station isn't as smart with queries as Daminion so there's a trade off between the time required in both apps and the re-indexing time.

Whichever way you do it, the nice thing is you get a unique URL you can give to your parents that they can access themselves whenever they want.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Paul

Edit:

Another compelling reason for having the photo library in Photo Station is the mobile apps. Being able to access photos on the move is awesome. I have used the ability many times not just for my own pleasure but when asked questions by family members like "Don't you think the new baby looks like <person>?" Out comes the phone or the tablet (or I borrow their computer) and in a short while we are browsing the photos and making the comparison. I helps to have WiFi access but 4G is pretty good too.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Paul,

thanks a lot for your effort, i really appreciate that.

1) Synology Photo Station and the mobile Apps: You are absolut right. They work very well and without any problems. The ability to access my piclib while i am on the road is fantastic.

2) But the keyword handling is - due to the amount of manual input - not what i want or what i am willing to invest. Therefore i will use the Person feature within Daminion as it is exactly what my wife and myself require. Maybe one day there will be a solution to access the stored search procedures from Daminion on the big screen or maybe i have to use a web browser on ATV 4 and upgrade Daminion to the Home Server edition.

Nevertheless thanks and kind regards,

Guido.

2) But the keyword handling is - due to the amount of manual input - not what i want or what i am willing to invest. Therefore i will use the Person feature within Daminion as it is exactly what my wife and myself require.

Guido.

Hi Guido

OK,understood. But there's one little tweak you could make that will, I think, make a big difference for you. It needs just s little work now but from then on will require no more effort in Daminion than you are currently using but will make Photo Station output easier to use.

It is to convert your Daminion People tags to Keyword tags. Once you do that they will show up in Photo Station, and allow you to select by person.

It's not hard to do.

1. Export your Daminion People Tags to text file

Catalog > Export Tags and select only "People"

2. Re Import Tags as Keywords

Catalog > Import Tags and select default option to convert to keywords

This will recreate your entire library of Daminion People as Keyword Tags, Optionally, you could now create a People Tag inside keywords and click and drag all the names into that category. But if you are ONLY using People keywords then you don't really need to bother.

3. Assign the keyword tags to the images.

a) Select each Daminion People name in turn and select all items

b) Click and drag the selected items onto the relevant keyword tag

c) Optionally, delete the Daminion People tag from the images (to clear out the entry on the file's metadata)

You now have all people represented by keywords. Once Photo Station has re-indexed the images, you will find that you can select by person name in Photo Station and DS Photo. You can also search in Ds Photo and Photo Station, which is incredibly fast.

Regards

Paul

Hi Guido

It is to convert your Daminion People tags to Keyword tags. Once you do that they will show up in Photo Station, and allow you to select by person.

It's not hard to do.

1. Export your Daminion People Tags to text file

Catalog > Export Tags and select only "People"

2. Re Import Tags as Keywords

Catalog > Import Tags and select default option to convert to keywords

3. Assign the keyword tags to the images.

Regards

Paul

Thanks Paul, i will give it a try and test it for a selected group of peaople, as my database at this point of time covers over 400 people.

Regards Guido.