Importing Tags

wabrou

I'm a heavy Lightroom user for post-processing, and rely on it for my initial metadata assignments. I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this, but need to be sure I'm not missing something before moving on. By any chance, are Collection Tags being populated on Import from an IPTC field (or any common field!) that I'm just not catching? I'm not figuring so, but need to be sure.

In the same vein, I notice that Category Tags are imported from the IPTC field "Other Categories" but the main/primary "Category" field is not being imported anywhere. Am I missing an Import here, by chance?

...Bill

Hi Bill,

Daminion's Collection tag is mapped to the below metadata fields:

XMP:MWG:Collections  (Read/Write)
XMP:IViewExpressionMedia:CatalogSets (Read Only)
XMP:IViewMediaPro:CatalogSets (Read Only)

Categories tag is mapped to:

XMP:Photoshop:SupplementalCategories (Read/Write)
XMP:ACDSee:Categories (Read Only)
IPTC:SupplementalCategory (Read Only)
XMP:DC_Type (Read Only)

IPTC IIM Category field was earmarked as deprecated already for IIM 4.1, it was not included into IPTC Core. So we don't use it. Instead you this field you can consider migrating to Subject Codes. More info about migrating from Category codes to Subject Codes please read this Guideline.

All metadata mapping rules in Daminion:

https://daminion.net/files/daminion-metadata-mapping-rules.pdf

Hi Murat-

Thanks for this info, and thanks for the mapping PDF!

One last question in this area. Are hierarchical keywords being flattened on import, or were they likely flattened when written to my image files in the first place (e.g., is that the standard practice)? I have a hierarchical keyword structure in Lightroom and replicated that structure in Daminion. But the keywords are being flattened on import.

Many thanks,

...Bill

Thanks for this info, and thanks for the mapping PDF!

One last question in this area. Are hierarchical keywords being flattened on import, or were they likely flattened when written to my image files in the first place (e.g., is that the standard practice)? I have a hierarchical keyword structure in Lightroom and replicated that structure in Daminion. But the keywords are being flattened on import.

This is probably because LR writes flattened keyword structure when saving keywords in addition to its hierarchical structure. Daminion can flatten keywords only when exporting (when an appropriate option is checked)

You can also go to the Edit > Preferences > Reading Metadata settings and check the "Mark imported tags as unapproved" if you don't want to "damage" your existing tag structure by newly imported tags.