server setup B to C

jacob

I am new to Daminion and have recently setup a server following Scheme C (where the images are held in a local directory not directly accessible on network).

I'm changing over to Scheme B, because I do want users to be able to drag images into InDesign layouts from Daminion. So I have a question I need to answer before I proceed, so things are setup correctly

Assuming

the images are stored following Scheme B (https://daminion.net/tutorials/selecting-the-right-file-storage-scheme-for-daminion-server)

and they are located on a network volume X, which is local to the server,

but I have also imposed domain controller user permissions so most client computers have read-only for Volume X.

My question:

Would a given user (who had read-only privileges to Volume X), logged in to Damninion network catalog with tagging permission admin permission, still be able to change tags and other editing features within Daminion? I would think so, since Daminion would have write-access to Volume X.

I could test this out, but I am hoping someone with prior experience will know already. I will provide my results either way.

Thank you in advance,

Jacob

Daminion user permissions lay on a different layer than the Windows or Active Directory user permissions.

If a Windows user with the readonly access to the Volume X, will log in into the Daminion Server with the Viewer role then he can't edit neither your tags no your files on this volume.

But if he logs in as an Editor or Admin user into the Daminion Server, then he can change tags in the database. He can also change (rename, remove, move) your files on the Volume X, if the Daminion Server service log on user has the Write access to the Volume X.

Even if you'll connect to the Daminion Server as a Daminion User, all further actions with the files and tags will be done centrally, by the Daminion Server service log on user.

Murat,

Thank you for confirming. This is very helpful to be certain of beforehand.

Keeping the files centralized, available yet protected is obviously a key ingredient.

I will share my results and thoughts as soon as I get this Scheme into production.

I'm not the company IT guy, fyi, so i really appreciate Daminion's fast and helpful replies.

Its making the migration that much easier.

Thanks again

Jacob

Murat,

follow-up question on this topic for you:

When adding new files to this server setup, I am experiencing that the Volume X must be writable by the user (active directory). Is there a way around this via Daminion?

I'm doing the following:

1. Add Files

2. Selecting local image

3. choosing "Upload files to the Server..."

alternately, I tried selecting the desintation folder of the shared volume (same as image library selected in Administrator) but its currently set as read-only for everyone. Doesn't let me.

Must I turn on write access for editors to Volume X?

Again, my main desire is to be able to drag copy out of Catalog to local folder OR drag into InDesign layout for direct linking to Volume X location.

Thanks again

thank you, I'm changing my reply because I realized its not actually working for me.

would I need to restart the file sharing service? I wouldn't think so.

No matter what I try I get a message like:

"C:\Users\Jacob\Downloads\ImageX

Access is denied

Cannot move or copy file

\\\server\image-library\imageX"

I'm certain I've given the dominion server user write permissions to the image-library folder

• 2 weeks later...

Murat,

I thought we had resolved the "problem", but there might be some basic problems in our setup.

I have attached a PDF which shows diagrams of our basic setup and needs.

To the point, we have dominion putting uploaded files into a directory which is ready-only to most users. This is to protect content from accidental deletion/changes.

The Damnion user has read-write permissions, as you helped us with.

However, when trying to drag an image from Daminion on a workstation client into InDesign, or copying to a local folder, we don't have permission. I thought we had it set correctly at one point, but its not working.

Please advise, and thank you

daminion-scenarios.pdf

Please select a file in the Daminion that you wanted to drag into the InDesign layout, and press the Ctrl + Shift + C key combination. This will copy the full file path into the clipboard. Now launch the Windows Explorer and paste this link into the address bar. Can you access it via the Windows Explorer?

That option is greyed out.

However, I can navigate to that file location via the local network.

Is it because Daminion server is accessing the directory like: D://daminion-images

where the client computer would need to access it like: //server/dominion-images or 192.168.1.x/dominion-images ?

If that's the problem, is there a way to point the dominion server to the folder via a local network share link, so the path is the same?

edit:

just checked the admin user on the client, and I CAN copy path as admin user, but its giving me the local server path (D:\IMAGE-LIBRARY\2015\02\2015.02.12\image.jpg)

This is the reason of why you can't drag images directly from the Daminion into the InDesign on a client PC. Because the files were imported by local links, and the client PC can't access it.

You can locate and right click on the "D:\daminion-images" folder in the tag tree. Then click on the Relink Folder option and change the "\\server\daminion-images". After that double click on any image in this folder to make sure that it can be opened properly and then drag it to your InDesign layout on a client PC.

I remedied the situation by changing the folder linking in the server administrator, adding the link by browsing from the server via network to the shared folder, and then deleting the D:// link.

Is this an incorrect method? I restarted the server, and now I can drag and drop as a low-level user.

I suspect I will run into problems when its time to add new files to the catalog, but I will cross that bridge downstream.

Sure. You can specify a network folder in your shared catalog settings (Catalogs > Edit > General > Folder to store uploaded files).

You can also lock the import settings for others so importing files will be uploaded to a specified folder:

- Launch the Daminion client

- Go to the main menu: Catalog > Import Settings, and check the "Lock..." option so the only possible option to import will be Upload with locked option of renaming folders and files.

OK so here is the problem:

with the network folder selected, users can drag to folders and to indesign layouts.

but admin/editor cannot upload files

with local folders selected, users cannot drag to folders and to indesig layouts.

but admin/editor can upload files.

whats the solution?

It's not obvious why you can't upload files by Admin/Editor users?

Please note that the Upload option is invisible when the Daminion Client is launched in the Same computer where the Daminion Server was installed. But you can solve this "issue" for Editor users:

- Open the Daminion Shared Catalog by an admin user

- Go to the Catalog > Import Settings option and check the "Lock Importing" settings.

- Log out

I've sent you the email message with suggestion to solve this issue by arranging a remote session.