Saving and Restoring Video Tags

ByteShare

I would like to know how I can save tags to the videos and restore those tags. Usually the scenario in which I need this is I've batched renamed a lot of files, moved (reorganized in folders), or been given a several files from another user.

For the first two cases it would be ideal to delete the files and re-import and then their tags, rather than relink all the files individually. Or if there is another method I'm not aware of I'd be happy to know.

For the third method it seems the only option is the ability to import their tags that are imbedded into them, or I'd have to re-tag all the files, but again if there is another method I'm not aware of I'd be happy to know.

All the files I'm working with support both Video Metadata and XMP data:

https://daminion.net/feature-tour/daminion/broad-format-support

I work mostly with MP4, but can work with MP4, MKV, FLV, AVI, MPEG depending on my needs after trans-coding file for different needs including archiving.

Only things relevant I could find on this forum was:

https://daminion.net/user-forum/index.php?/topic/241-feature-requestsbugs/page__p__993__hl__%2Bsaving+%2Bvideo+%2Btags__fromsearch__1#entry993

https://daminion.net/user-forum/index.php?/topic/90-feature-requests/page__p__379__hl__%2Bsaving+%2Bvideo+%2Btags__fromsearch__1#entry379

• Upvote 1

Daminion can update metadata in a range of video formats but not in all formats. This is why we added support for writing tags into .xmp sidecars in the video files. However if you rename and organize video files outside of the Daminion they make little sense.

So one of my suggestion is to rename and manage video files by Daminion's Folders panel.

Daminion can update metadata in a range of video formats but not in all formats. This is why we added support for writing tags into .xmp sidecars in the video files. However if you rename and organize video files outside of the Daminion they make little sense.

So one of my suggestion is to rename and manage video files by Daminion's Folders panel.

I can try using the folder mode in Daminion for when I need to move files around to their perspective folder. Is there a way to batch rename files in Daminion then? Since I wouldn't be able to do this outside of Daminion.

So, getting the .dmc is the only good backup method, and writing tags to file is basically a waste of time?

• Upvote 2