How do check-ins work?

ljm42account

New user here. I'm confused about how check-ins work. I have a trial for the home license of Daminion Server, build 1070. I right-clicked on an image and chose "Check Out and Edit With" -> Photoshop, which placed a copy of the file in "My Documents"/Daminion. I tweaked the colors in Photoshop and saved the changes locally... now how do I get the modified file back into Daminion?

The "Check In" option is dimmed, I'm wondering if version control isn't available to home users? But in that case why did it allow me to check the file out? Also, Properties -> General says it is "Checked Out To" -> "deleted user". Not sure what to do next.

Thanks!

Version Control option in the Daminion Server editions are linked with Users which are missed in the Home and Pro versions. This is why this feature works on the Team Server version only.

We plan to leave the version control feature on the Team Server version only.

I was afraid of that :)

I guess you'll change the right-click option to just "edit with" Photoshop and not "check out and edit with"?

How can I fix the "checked out to deleted user" status that is there now?

In general, do you have any tips on how to manage multiple versions of a file in Daminion?

Thanks!

"...how to manage multiple versions of a file in Daminion?"

Maybe you could use the color labels for this purpose.

To give them a more descriptive name, you could also change the names of the color labels. For example, you might better suit your own workflow by assigning the colors of certain steps like red for “master fileâ€, yellow for “in work†and green for “finalizedâ€.

In this way you can already see on the basis of colors in which processing stage the image is located.

Is that maybe an option for you?

Ok. After some discussions we decided to leave the Version Control feature in the Pro/Home Servers. It should works.

Hi Murat !

Great, I really appreaciate that. Thats - as far as I know - the only way to have an untouched (original) version. Btw, having worked as a developer for a document management company I really know how useful versioning is ;)

Thx, Robert

• 2 weeks later...