Last Two Versions Crash

gsownsby

Daminion 3.4 (1081) and previous version of last week.

Daminion Client crashes on different PCs and different versions of Windows after the last two upgrades.

See attached screenshot. Seems like this happens all too often on updates. I'm getting pretty gun shy about doing any.

I've been taking a ton of photos this week at special events and Daminion has been down on any PC I update and since the server was updated first...nothing is likely to work anyway.

Ugh!!

post-1713-0-59090000-1412046552_thumb.png

We changed the way to get server info in the 1081 build, and this is why you see the issue after upgrading the program. You can also try to manually uninstall the Daminion Server, remove the "c:\Program Files (x86)\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\" folder and install the 1081 again.

But as Alex said a remote session might speed up locating of this issue.

We changed the way to get server info in the 1081 build, and this is why you see the issue after upgrading the program. You can also try to manually uninstall the Daminion Server, remove the "c:\Program Files (x86)\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\" folder and install the 1081 again.

But as Alex said a remote session might speed up locating of this issue.

Thank you both for your quick reply.

I'll try the uninstall/delete directory approach first then see if we need to proceed to a Teamviewer session.

No offence intended but my wife often summarizes things pretty accurately. Her comment was software like this needs to be more "appliance" in nature. It just works...no uninstall/reinstall/delete directories that's too much for the ordinary consumer who just wants it to work every time they use it. If a toaster didn't work a few times, it would be trashed.

I'm a Daminion supporter and buyer but these little glitches are troublesome for the user and I'm sure for you too.

Thanks again.

No offence intended but my wife often summarizes things pretty accurately. Her comment was software like this needs to be more "appliance" in nature. It just works...no uninstall/reinstall/delete directories that's too much for the ordinary consumer who just wants it to work every time they use it. If a toaster didn't work a few times, it would be trashed.

I completelly agree with this point of view. This is the main purpose of this topic and as it is stated:

"These builds are not completely tested, use them at your own risk
We'll publish some of the nightly builds on this topic, with changes that might worth your attention. 

You should to take into account that these nightly builds will not be properly tested and might contain some bugs. 
Use them on your own risk and with test media/image collections."

And we release a new stable version only after series of preliminary builds test that we publish here, where our best users help us with testing new releases on their own risks.

Same error for me too. Tried full uninstall for both server and client. build 1083

---------------------------

Error

В экземпляре объекта не задана ссылка на объект.

Server stack trace:

в System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)

в System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)

в System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)

в System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs)

в System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)

в System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogServiceProxy.ProcessWithErrors(EventHandler`1 process, Object[] parameters, EventHandler`1 defaultResult) in c:DaminionAutoCodeClientCommonClassesCatalogServiceProxy.cs:line 2311

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogServiceProxy.GetProgramVersion() in c:DaminionAutoCodeClientCommonClassesCatalogServiceProxy.cs:line 1667

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.PicaJetEngine.OpenCatalog(ICatalogAddress address, String userName, String password, CatalogConfig catalogConfig, Boolean hidden) in c:DaminionAutoCodeClientCommonClassesPicaJetEngine.cs:line 404

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.PicaJetEngine.OpenCatalog(ICatalogAddress address, String userName, String password, CatalogConfig catalogConfig) in c:DaminionAutoCodeClientCommonClassesPicaJetEngine.cs:line 334

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.PicaJetEnginePresenter.OpenCatalogJob(Object sender, TimeLessJobEventArgs args) in c:DaminionAutoCodeClientCommonPresentersPicaJetEnginePresenter.cs:line 7695

ОК

I completelly agree with this point of view. This is the main purpose of this topic and as it is stated:

"These builds are not completely tested, use them at your own risk
We'll publish some of the nightly builds on this topic, with changes that might worth your attention. 

You should to take into account that these nightly builds will not be properly tested and might contain some bugs. 
Use them on your own risk and with test media/image collections."

And we release a new stable version only after series of preliminary builds test that we publish here, where our best users help us with testing new releases on their own risks.

Murat,

I understand the nature and risk of using these not-so-perfect builds. With 25,000 or so images cataloged, I'm re-examining my willingness to take a risk with the hard work I put into cataloging those images and the database containing that work. If I can't recover from this problem, it would be a major calamity for me. The solution offered in previous posts does not seem to work based on Montonero's experience. So I'm wondering where to go from here?

Thank you.

Gary

Hi Murat,

The 1084 version worked. We're back in business. Thank you.

I can't tell you how much I worry about the work being messed up or corrupted. You guys seem to always have the magic to make things work but us little ole consumers don't have that level of smarts so it's more than a bit chilling to see a program go haywire and wonder if things can be made right.

I'm still a Daminion supporter! :clapping:

Thanks again.

Gary