adding files hangs up Daminion

bill@billwest.com

I am a new user to Daminion and am hoping it will serve to catalog my large library of digital photos and scans and videos. I did manage to create a catalog of 90,000 files from digital cameras, but it took a long time and many restarts of Daminion. Now that I am cataloging - in a new catalog - my huge library of large scans I can't get Daminion to add files successfully.

I am on Windows 8.1 and Daminion 3.3 (1048) and am adding files to a catalog (without copying the files) from a network drive to a local catalog stored on the computer. Many of my files are quite large (100Mb+).

As I add files it works for a while and then hangs up. I thought maybe it was just slower adding large tiffs or PSD files or having problems with videos, but if I come back after leaving it running overnight the progress indicator at the bottom of the Daminion screen shows no change, it still has the same number of files cataloged and the same number left to catalog. Sometimes the program is totally hung up and needs to be closed through the Windows task manager. Sometimes I can "Cancel" the import and close the program normally, restart the program and resume... but it hangs again. The computer is set up so that nothing "goes to sleep" so it probably is not an issue of the power saving features of Windows causing it, since all the power saving features are turned off. Sometimes it hangs up within just a few minutes of starting to add files.

What am I doing wrong? Is this a bug? I would really like for this to work to replace Extensis Portfolio.

Thanks for any advice.

=B=

Greetings!

Thanks for your feedback!

Importing large psd and tiff files might be a problem. BTW importing into the server catalog (Daminion Server is required) is much faster when working with large catalogs.

Can you please install the latest Daminion 3.3 1064 build and try import your image collection again.

If the problem happens again please launch the Daminion Server Admin panel, go to the Help > Show Logs menu and please send me the Logs folder to support/at/daminion/dot/net.

BTW we received a tiff file from one of our customers that lead to freezing of the Daminion when importing. We didn't analyze this issue yet, but probably this is the same issue.

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Another crash. Daminion stopped working, so I restarted computer. Opened catalog through the file>open dialog, and immediately got this error message:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

PicaJet.Daminion.Common.WaitTimeoutException: Timeout exception in command: (36) ---> Amib.Threading.WorkItemTimeoutException: Work item timeout

at Amib.Threading.Internal.WorkItem.GetResult(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext, WaitHandle cancelWaitHandle, Exception& e) in e:\Dev\STP\STP.git\SmartThreadPool\WorkItem.cs:line 836

at Amib.Threading.Internal.WorkItem.WorkItemResult.GetResult(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext, Exception& e) in e:\Dev\STP\STP.git\SmartThreadPool\WorkItem.WorkItemResult.cs:line 79

at PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.SmartTaskPipeline.EnqueueCommand(ServiceCommand command, Boolean waitResult) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Service.Utils.Uni\SmartPool\SmartTaskPipeLine.cs:line 105

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogServiceProxy.ProcessWithErrors(EventHandler`1 process, Object[] parameters, EventHandler`1 defaultResult) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Classes\CatalogServiceProxy.cs:line 2305

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogServiceProxy.GetCatalogParam(String[] param) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Classes\CatalogServiceProxy.cs:line 1919

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CloudServiceManager.GetSavedCloudProperties(ICatalogConnection connection) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Classes\CloudsServices\CloudServiceManager.cs:line 202

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.TagSpecifiedTreeViewActions.AppendSpecifiedActions(IIndexedTag indexedTag, IList`1 indexedTagValues, IList`1 actions, Boolean allowEdit) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Actions\TagSpecifiedTreeViewActions.cs:line 587

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.Actions.IndexedTagTreeViewActionManager.AppendTagSpecified(ICatalogView catalogView, IList`1 indexedTags, IList`1 indexedTagValues, IList`1 actions) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Actions\IndexedTagTreeViewActionManager.cs:line 683

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.Actions.IndexedTagTreeViewActionManager.GetActionList() in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Actions\IndexedTagTreeViewActionManager.cs:line 224

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.Actions.IndexedTagTreeViewActionManager.TryLaunchActionByKeys(Keys key) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Actions\IndexedTagTreeViewActionManager.cs:line 63

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.PicaJetEnginePresenter.CatalogIndexedTagsViewHandlingKeysPressed(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Presenters\PicaJetEnginePresenter.cs:line 5775

at PicaJet.Daminion.Common.HandlingKeyManager.ProcessHandlingKeys(KeyEventArgs e, Keys[] handlingKeys, EventHandler`1 handler, Object sender)

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.ActionManager.ProcessHandlingKeys(KeyEventArgs e, Keys[] handlingKeys, EventHandler`1 handler, Object sender) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Classes\ActionManager.cs:line 100

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.IndexedTagsTreeViewContainer.IndexedTagsTreeViewKeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Controls\IndexedTagsTreeViewContainer.cs:line 996

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.TreeViewWithStateControl.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Controls\TreeViewWithStateControl.cs:line 2184

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8009 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Daminion

Assembly Version: 3.3.0.1064

Win32 Version: 3.3.0.1064

CodeBase:

Yet another crash - trying to add files to a catalog without copying the files:

Microsoft .NET Framework

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.....

Timeout exception in command: (486).

the details tab says:

************** Exception Text **************

PicaJet.Daminion.Common.WaitTimeoutException: Timeout exception in command: (486) ---> Amib.Threading.WorkItemTimeoutException: Work item timeout

at Amib.Threading.Internal.WorkItem.GetResult(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext, WaitHandle cancelWaitHandle, Exception& e) in e:\Dev\STP\STP.git\SmartThreadPool\WorkItem.cs:line 836

at Amib.Threading.Internal.WorkItem.WorkItemResult.GetResult(Int32 millisecondsTimeout, Boolean exitContext, Exception& e) in e:\Dev\STP\STP.git\SmartThreadPool\WorkItem.WorkItemResult.cs:line 79

at PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.SmartTaskPipeline.EnqueueCommand(ServiceCommand command, Boolean waitResult) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Service.Utils.Uni\SmartPool\SmartTaskPipeLine.cs:line 105

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogServiceProxy.ProcessWithErrors(EventHandler`1 process, Object[] parameters, EventHandler`1 defaultResult) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Classes\CatalogServiceProxy.cs:line 2305

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogServiceProxy.IsFolderOffline(Int64 folderId) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Classes\CatalogServiceProxy.cs:line 2068

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.ProcessSet(ICriteriaSet set, IIndexedTag indexedTag, TwoObjectsEventArgs`2 e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Presenters\CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.cs:line 1180

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.ProcessList(ICriteriaList criteriaList, IIndexedTag indexedTag, TwoObjectsEventArgs`2 e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Presenters\CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.cs:line 1302

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.ProcessList(ICriteriaList criteriaList, IIndexedTag indexedTag, TwoObjectsEventArgs`2 e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Presenters\CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.cs:line 1309

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.ViewNeedValueIncludeState(Object sender, TwoObjectsEventArgs`2 e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Presenters\CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.cs:line 1349

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.CheckOfContains(IIndexedTagValue value) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Presenters\CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.cs:line 1475

at PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.ViewNeedValueStatistic(Object sender, TwoObjectsEventArgs`2 e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\ClientCommon\Presenters\CatalogIndexedTagsPresenter.cs:line 1493

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.IndexedTagsTreeViewContainer.BehaviourNeedCount(Object sender, TwoObjectsEventArgs`2 e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Controls\IndexedTagsTreeViewContainer.cs:line 3192

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.IndexedTagValueNodeBehaviour.GetCount(IIndexedTagValue data) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Classes\TreeView\Behaviour\IndexedTagValueNodeBehaviour.cs:line 241

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.IndexedTagValueNodeBehaviour.GetCount() in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Classes\TreeView\Behaviour\IndexedTagValueNodeBehaviour.cs:line 255

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.TreeViewWithStateControl.GenerateStatisticString(INodeBehaviour behaviour) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Controls\TreeViewWithStateControl.cs:line 2627

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.TreeViewWithStateControl.GetStatisticSize(INodeBehaviour behaviour, Graphics canvas) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Controls\TreeViewWithStateControl.cs:line 2666

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.TreeViewWithStateControl.GetRightColumnSize(INodeBehaviour behaviour, Graphics canvas) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Controls\TreeViewWithStateControl.cs:line 2082

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.TreeViewWithStateControl.DrawRightColumn(INodeBehaviour behaviour, DrawTreeNodeEventArgs e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Controls\TreeViewWithStateControl.cs:line 2478

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.TreeViewWithStateControl.OnDrawNode(DrawTreeNodeEventArgs e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Controls\TreeViewWithStateControl.cs:line 1913

at PicaJet.Daminion.GUIComponents.BaseOwnerDrawTreeView.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs e) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\GUIComponents\Controls\BaseOwnerDrawTreeView.cs:line 211

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8009 (FX35W81RTMGDR.050727-8000)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Daminion

Assembly Version: 3.3.0.1064

Win32 Version: 3.3.0.1064

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Daminion%20Software/Daminion/Daminion.exe

I updated to version 1070 and the TIFF import is much improved. Add files is faster. THANKS!

but I am now getting some PSD files which do not generate thumbnails. I will send one to you via dropbox.

All along I have been running with sync switched off. I am running WIN8.1 what other configuration info would you like?