Persistent filters?

WarriorOne

Is there way to make filters selection persistent? Currently if I select one filter (e.g. by folder, or by star rating, etc.) - selecting another filter resets the previous filter, unless Ctrl key is pressed. Is there way to make filters selection persistent, so for example if I select to only work with files in certain folder, that selection does not automatically get reset?

Also, selecting a filter does not seem to filter other metadata. Is there a way to filter metadata? For example if I'm selecting a certain folder - can keywords that are only in that specific folder be shown in keywords tree?

Thanks!

"For example if I'm selecting a certain folder - can keywords that are only in that specific folder be shown in keywords tree?"

Yeah, this would be a usable feature.

Now you can see all the keywords if you select all images and look on the Properties tab, but you can't use them to continue to build up the more complex filter. If you select one there it will take over the whole filter.

But if the Tag tree itself could be turnable into some kind of filtering mode, it would be awesome. Of course only as an option so with a switch to turn on or off the function. You could find the right tags much faster, so build up a big complex filter much faster.

So +1

But if the Tag tree itself could be turnable into some kind of filtering mode, it would be awesome. Of course only as an option so with a switch to turn on or off the function. You could find the right tags much faster, so build up a big complex filter much faster.

We implemented another approach: once you'll press the Ctrl key Daminion re-calculates statistic of other tags so you can see - selecting of what tags will bring you to an empty result.

The empty tags are drawn by gray font.

But if the Tag tree itself could be turnable into some kind of filtering mode, it would be awesome.

Do you ask for persistent filters for all tags or for a certain group of tags, for example: flags, image format, rating, color label?

We implemented another approach: once you'll press the Ctrl key Daminion re-calculates statistic of other tags so you can see - selecting of what tags will bring you to an empty result.

Thanks! It's a useful feature. I actually been using it for a while.

The problem I've been struggling with is managing way too many keywords. I think other will have that problem too as they collections grow. I have keywords from pictures I've taken 10-15 years ago. The list is huge.

An interim solution to having a huge list of keywords is creating a deeply-nested hierarchy. That's how I'm handling it right now. I can "hide" hundreds of keywords inside the hierarchy tree. But it took me a lot of time and a lot of thought to build that hierarchy, and it will take more time and effort to keep it maintained.

I think an easier approach would be to allow filtering keywords by time period or by folder.

For example - I'd like to be able to setup a filter to work with pictures taken in the last year, and only see keywords from the last year.

Do you ask for persistent filters for all tags or for a certain group of tags, for example: flags, image format, rating, color label?

For me it would be rating, folders, time period.

Thanks, this is good with limited number of keywords, but the problem is when there are a lot of keywords.

Like WarriorOne, I still have a lot of images with flat keywords, you know, how crazy that could be.

I just imported a fragment of images from the Winter Olympics, about 20,000 images, and I got thousands of flat keywords. It's not the easiest now to find the right ones in the Tag tree. The trouble is not with the colors, they are in good contrast already, but with the too many scrolling and/or already hierarchy structured tags. In such cases it would be easier if we could just narrow down the tag list based on the actual search result, if we need it.

Well, because the problem is usually with keywords, I think for that group, if we need to choose.

Or, of course, we can use the Properties tab "Locate on Catalog Tags panel" menu option, and after that add it to the filter in the Catalog Tags tree as usual, but there are 2 small problems with that:

- I often missclick and click the "Select on Catalog Tags panel" option, and it destroys all my work, changes the filter to that keyword, and i have to start over

- it always takes plus 1 operation with every keyword: the Locate option itself

It would be better and faster if we could just use the Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys there, too, directly to build up the filter from there the same as on the Catalog Tags panel.