First Public Server version Install Experience

exterminador

Hi,

First of all, thanks for counting me in into the evaluation of this first server version!

Yesterday I downloaded the software and tried a first install and want to share my experience.

After starting the installer, I noticed there were two instances of the DaminionServerSetup-0.8.6.434.exe file running. Cannot recall starting the application twice but I cannot swear it :P

post-97-0-02776100-1319258682_thumb.jpg

Then, the install seems to do some checking on the first screen, it freezes for a couple of minutes and then it continues. In this step, it feels as the install crashed as it doesn't show any message telling to wait a moment...

After it continued, I went with the following options:

post-97-0-08097600-1319256379_thumb.png

post-97-0-90888200-1319256383_thumb.png

And the install continued, I got the following error message:

post-97-0-18632000-1319256389_thumb.png

I will e-mail the log files.

Then, the install finished and I tried to start the Daminion Server. First I just clicked on the start menu icon and clicked on the "Start" button. I got the following error:

post-97-0-33017300-1319256398_thumb.png

It was an access denied exception. Tried running the server by right clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator...", then I didn't get the Exception.

Then I started the Daminion client and tried to open a shared catalog, I got the following error message:

post-97-0-95917300-1319256911_thumb.png

I think I tried to open it again and got this exception:

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[system.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. (Fault Detail is equal to An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at PicaJet.Daminion.Service.WCF.CatalogService.GetNamespaceItems(Int32 pageIndex, Int32 pageSize) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Server.WCF\CatalogService.cs:line 185

at SyncInvokeGetNamespaceItems(Object , Object[] , Object[] )

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc& rpc)

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& rpc)

at System.ServiceMod...).

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4963 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

Daminion

Assembly Version: 0.8.6.434

Win32 Version: 0.8.6.434

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Daminion%20Software/Daminion/Daminion.exe

Tried to open the catalog again and got a different exception (sorry I didn't copy that message), I noticed the "Close catalog" button was enabled at this point, I guess the client was still connected to the database:

post-97-0-26991600-1319257185_thumb.png

post-97-0-50198200-1319257310_thumb.png

I thought the first error I got during the install was the reason, so uninstalled it, removed the windows postgres account and deleted the Postgre and Daminion Server folders I found and installed it again. This time I started the installation by right clicking the DaminionServerSetup-0.8.6.434.exe file and choosing "Run as Administrator...". This time I didn't got the error during the Postgre install, not sure if it was because of the second install or if the running with elevation did it.

After installing and starting the server, I got the same set of errors.

As I hadn't been able to successfully connect at this point, I went to the pgAdmin and tried to connect to the server and I only was getting the following error message:

ERROR : Error connecting to the server: FATAL: la autentificación password falló para el usuario «postgres»

I'm not familiar with Postgre so I googled the error and found a solution: to change the pg_hba.conf file and set "trust" as the authentication method.

post-97-0-62721600-1319258195_thumb.png

This is how the pgAdmin looks like:

post-97-0-72412800-1319258728_thumb.png

I noticed there is not a NetCatalog db instance on postgre so I changed the server database to _daminion (as that one did exist):

post-97-0-92235800-1319258805_thumb.png

But now I get this exception on the C:\Program Files\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\Logs\server.txt log file:

2011-10-21 23:39:04,411 [7] DEBUG PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.DatabaseCommand [(null)] - Error : PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.CheckValidateAndUpdateCommand

Npgsql.NpgsqlException:

no existe la relación «settings»

Severity: ERROR

Code: 42P01

at Npgsql.NpgsqlState.<ProcessBackendResponses_Ver_3>d__a.MoveNext() in C:\projects\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlState.cs:line 839

at Npgsql.ForwardsOnlyDataReader.GetNextResponseObject() in C:\projects\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlDataReader.cs:line 1163

at Npgsql.ForwardsOnlyDataReader.GetNextRowDescription() in C:\projects\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlDataReader.cs:line 1181

at Npgsql.ForwardsOnlyDataReader.NextResult() in C:\projects\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlDataReader.cs:line 1367

at Npgsql.ForwardsOnlyDataReader..ctor(IEnumerable`1 dataEnumeration, CommandBehavior behavior, NpgsqlCommand command, NotificationThreadBlock threadBlock, Boolean synchOnReadError) in C:\projects\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlDataReader.cs:line 1030

at Npgsql.NpgsqlCommand.GetReader(CommandBehavior cb) in C:\projects\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlCommand.cs:line 591

at Npgsql.NpgsqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() in C:\projects\Npgsql2\src\Npgsql\NpgsqlCommand.cs:line 495

at PicaJet.Daminion.Service.DbCommandWrapper.ExecuteNonQuery() in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Service.DB\DbCommandWrapper.cs:line 41

at PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.CheckValidateAndUpdateCommand.UnknownVer(DbConnection connection) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Service.Utils.Uni\Command\CheckValidateAndUpdateCommand.cs:line 240

at PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.CheckValidateAndUpdateCommand.Start(DbConnection connection) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Service.Utils.Uni\Command\CheckValidateAndUpdateCommand.cs:line 46

at PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.DatabaseCommand.Start() in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Service.Utils.Uni\DatabaseCommand.cs:line 70

at PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.DatabaseCommand.Process() in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Service.Utils.Uni\DatabaseCommand.cs:line 36

2011-10-21 23:39:04,417 [7] DEBUG PicaJet.Daminion.Service.Utils.TaskPipeline [(null)] - EnqueueCommand: Execute (after) enqueue command

2011-10-21 23:39:04,495 [7] DEBUG PicaJet.Daminion.Service.WCF.CatalogServiceHost [(null)] - host_Opening

2011-10-21 23:39:04,518 [7] DEBUG PicaJet.Daminion.Service.WCF.CatalogServiceHost [(null)] - host_Opened

2011-10-21 23:39:04,522 [7] DEBUG PicaJet.Daminion.Service.WCF.FileTransferServiceHost [(null)] - host_Opening

2011-10-21 23:39:04,525 [7] DEBUG PicaJet.Daminion.Service.WCF.FileTransferServiceHost [(null)] - host_Opened

2011-10-21 23:39:04,525 [7] DEBUG Service.WCF.ServerService.DaminionService [(null)] - Done creating hosting: 21/10/2011 11:39:04 p.m.

I guess the NetCatalog instance should have been created at some point but I'm not sure why it wasn't. Any advice? I will try to uninstall and install again, but that will have to be on Sunday :)

If you have any advice it will be greatly appreciated as I cannot wait to test the client with a server catalog.

I will comment on my impressions on the file storage scheme on the other post talking about it.

Thanks

Edited by Murat Korkmazov
Log file was truncated for a better formatting
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, thanks for the detailed description of this issue.

According to your screenshots I think the main problem is an absence of the Daminion database. Most likely, that the default Daminion database creation was failed during the installation.

The "_daminion" database is a system one and its for an internal usage only.

I suggest you to completely uninstall the Daminion Server and PostgreSQL and delete "daminion" and "postgre" users from the system.

Also please remove all the PostgreSQL data files (E:\Data\Daminion). Try to install Daminion Server with administrative privileges using default settings with "Basic Setup".

Could you please tell me whether the 8082 or 8084 ports were already been taken? Thanks in advance.

First of all, thanks for the detailed description of this issue.

According to your screenshots I think the main problem is an absence of the Daminion database. Most likely, that the default Daminion database creation was failed during the installation.

The "_daminion" database is a system one and its for an internal usage only.

I suggest you to completely uninstall the Daminion Server and PostgreSQL and delete "daminion" and "postgre" users from the system.

Also please remove all the PostgreSQL data files (E:\Data\Daminion). Try to install Daminion Server with administrative privileges using default settings with "Basic Setup".

Could you please tell me whether the 8082 or 8084 ports were already been taken? Thanks in advance.

Hi Alexey,

Ports were not in use, removed folders and users and I'm trying to get the new version up, let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Nabani