Discussion around Tag list (hidden) feature

kalain

Hi,

I was wondering how to improve a bit tag assignation and while searching around, I found some hidden powerfull features which should be a bit more highlighted here.

1/ Buble help of tag is rarely displayed.

This helpfull buble help should be displayed each time when cursor goes over Tag field.

Sorry, but I can't post a screen copy because can't display anymore this buble help!!

2/Hierarchical Tag

Here is an example of hierarchical tag

post-891-0-76365500-1390643938_thumb.jpg

But when searching a keyword, you easily remember parent's tag rather than child tag.

So when searching "sailor" you get this by default :

post-891-0-09400900-1390644048_thumb.jpg

Which do not tell you by default if "Sailor" has some child tags!

So, it would be better to displayed by default each time all child tag like this for example :

post-891-0-54851000-1390644463_thumb.jpg

Like this while searching "Sailor" I know immediately that "Sailor" has some child and which are they.

Like this I immediately see that "ZS234" is not available and can create it on the fly by typing in search field tag : "Sailor\ZS234"

That's it.

This behaviour would be much more powerfull in workflow assigning tag.

• Upvote 1

How you think to set "Sailor" tag without subtags in your proposal? Only by typing its full name "Sailor"?

Now you see "Sailor" in hint, can choose it there, press "\" to see children.

I do not saying that current state is best (for me it is good enough), but change must not to brake some existent conveniences.

How you think to set "Sailor" tag without subtags in your proposal? Only by typing its full name "Sailor"?

Or like this :

post-891-0-24364400-1390750136_thumb.jpg

Now you see "Sailor" in hint, can choose it there, press "\" to see children.

Yes, but you can't press each time "\" to see if there is or not some child!

Would be better to display each time Child whitout asking or checking anything.

I do not saying that current state is best (for me it is good enough), but change must not to brake some existent conveniences.

Yes, it was good enough for me until I started to use hierarchical keywords. I don't like hierarchical point of view but I have to admit that in certains situations it helps a lot to find the right keyword. (Like TBS400, I do not remember which was the sailor reference but by starting by Sailor, I can display and remember which one I'm looking for.)

Yes, but you can't press each time "\" to see if there is or not some child!

Why? :smile:

Would be better to display each time Child whitout asking or checking anything.

It will extend the hint list. Some times this list have scrolling for matched tags. If it will includes subtags... Which level of typed subtags you want to see? All? Or only one level? Why only one?

Yes, it was good enough for me until I started to use hierarchical keywords. I don't like hierarchical point of view but I have to admit that in certains situations it helps a lot to find the right keyword. (Like TBS400, I do not remember which was the sailor reference but by starting by Sailor, I can display and remember which one I'm looking for.)

I have hierarchy. But me tree is not very big and I remember which tree leaf I want to assign. If I do not remember (it happens not often) then I use tag and "\".

Why? :smile:

because before to see if this keyword has some child, you have to write it entierely which is not very coool, specially if you have long keywords. This is also not very fast or efficient.

It will extend the hint list. Some times this list have scrolling for matched tags. If it will includes subtags... Which level of typed subtags you want to see? All? Or only one level? Why only one?

May be display only first level and then use \ for deeper levels.

First level would cover most of the cases (?), may be 80% ?

Yes, you're right, even first level by default, this will increase in other hand lenght of the list!

Not easy to find the best (better) solution.

because before to see if this keyword has some child, you have to write it entierely which is not very coool, specially if you have long keywords. This is also not very fast or efficient.

No need to type full keyword to see its children. When I start to type, I see hint list - I can choose one of item (by keyboard or mouse) and add "\".

No need to type full keyword to see its children. When I start to type, I see hint list - I can choose one of item (by keyboard or mouse) and add "\".

Ok, I see, why not, this is a not too bad way to do it.

Anyway, seems not easy to find better (direct) solution to do it.

Thanks.

Hi,

In Microsoft dev applications environnement I often use scrolling choice lists.

These lists can be deployed (and undeployed) by using 'Alt+Down arrow' keys.

May be by using this 'common key combinaison' Tag list could be fully displayed and minimised.

Like this you do not have to wait and select a tag before to know if it has or not some childs.