Cant connect to server

franky68

Hello,

maybe I am missing something...

I installed Daminion server and am trying to use it. To do this I start the regular Daminion, select "Open shared catalog" and create a connection. When clicking "Open" all I get is sometimes an error message sometimes nothing happens at all.

- I tried the connection from my desktop and my laptop.

- On my desktop I used 192.168.1.51 (lan ip) and 127.0.0.1 (loopback)

- I checked the port and database name: both are identical in the connection and server settings

- I did a full reboot on the desktop hosting the database

- I tried a telnet to that port which immediately dies with "connection abort"

Here is the error message I get eventhough its probably not very helpfull to you (and german):

Informationen über das Aufrufen von JIT-Debuggen
anstelle dieses Dialogfelds finden Sie am Ende dieser Meldung.

************** Ausnahmetext **************
System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[system.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt. (Fehlerdetail ist gleich Ein ExceptionDetail, vermutlich erstellt durch IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=TRUE, mit dem Wert:
System.NullReferenceException: Der Objektverweis wurde nicht auf eine Objektinstanz festgelegt.
  bei PicaJet.Daminion.Service.WCF.CatalogService.GetNamespaceItems(Int32 pageIndex, Int32 pageSize) in c:\DaminionAuto\Code\Server.WCF\CatalogService.cs:Zeile 185.
  bei SyncInvokeGetNamespaceItems(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
  bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
  bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
  bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
  bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage4(MessageRpc& rpc)
  bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage3(MessageRpc& rpc)
  bei System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage2(MessageRpc& r...).

************** Geladene Assemblys **************
mscorlib
   Assembly-Version: 2.0.0.0.
   Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.5448 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400).
   CodeBase: file:///S:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
----------------------------------------
mscorlib.resources
   Assembly-Version: 2.0.0.0.
   Win32-Version: 2.0.50727.5448 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400).
   CodeBase: file:///S:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll.
Daminion
   Assembly-Version: 0.8.6.419.
   Win32-Version: 0.8.6.419.
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Programme/Daminion%20Software/Daminion/Daminion.exe.
PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon
   Assembly-Version: 0.8.6.419.
   Win32-Version: 0.8.6.419.
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Programme/Daminion%20Software/Daminion/PicaJet.Daminion.ClientCommon.DLL.

Edited by Murat Korkmazov
I've a bit truncated the log for the better formatting.

Frank, thanks for the bug-report!

- Did you change the port and database name?

- Could you please update your local Daminion version to 434 build and try again?

- Could you please send me the server log folder:

c:\Program Files\Daminion Software\Daminion Server\Logs

Thanks for the pointer to the logfile. I already located the problem.

There was a problem with the password somewhere so the Daminion server could not connect to the PostgeSQL server. I initially did not check that connection since the Daminion Server said "Running" so I assumed everything behind it would be ok.

Maybe the Daminion server should issue a an error dialog when it cant connect to PostgeSQL for whatever reason. This is Windows after all and you never can know if a daemon silently died ;)

Anyway I was just importing my first images into the ServerCatalog. Ill post my next problem in another thread ;)

Could you please describe what sort of the problem was there

I am not quite sure about that and have not yet had time to try to reproduce it. Thats why I did not describe in more detail. But I changed the password for the PostgreSQL default user. I also used the same password for the Daminion Server setup.

and how did you solve it?

I uninstalled Daminion Server and PostgeSQL. When PostgeSQL was re-installed it complained that the default user was already existent so I entered some custom account.

As said this is a bit unclear. I guess Daminion could not handle the changed PostgeSQL password but have not yet verified and I am not sure what changed since it did not seem like the initial user was deleted/reset.