People / Person

franky68

Hello Murat,

I started tagging a couple of images with the person in the picture. Since (after syncing) I could not find that information again in VNX/CNX I got curious and checked where it is stored.

IrfanView was not able to display that information either. Checking with PhotoME found the person under "Contact" and ExifTool listed it as "Contact" and "Person In Image".

Now I am pretty confused:

1. To me "Contact" would logically display the contact information for the photographer - so my email, telephone number or whatever. Am I thinking wrong and why is the contact field used to store this information?

2. Why is the "Person In Image" only displayed in ExifTool? Is it a non standard field, mystically hidden to other applications?

3. What will happen to the "People" entries once we need to access them in a different application?

Kind regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

Daminion maps People tag to the following metadata fields:

- XMP: Iptc4xmpExt.PersonInImage

- IPTC:Contact [2:118]

It was surprizing for me that many photo management solutions ignore this field :mda:

The ExifTool is the most decent metadata tool that I ever seen, so it should correctly handle almost any common photo metadata fields.

1. To me "Contact" would logically display the contact information for the photographer - so my email, telephone number or whatever. Am I thinking wrong and why is the contact field used to store this information?

Probably this not the best name for this field. According to IPTC standard:

[2:118 Contact] - Identifies the person or organisation which can provide further background information on the objectdata.

The contact information you mentioned should be stored in Iptc4xmpCore:ContactInfoDetails (Check IPTC PhotoMetadata specification for this)

2. Why is the "Person In Image" only displayed in ExifTool? Is it a non standard field, mystically hidden to other applications?

I don't know why some vendors are not supported this. It solely depends from the their decision. But this field is described very well in the XMP specification.

3. What will happen to the "People" entries once we need to access them in a different application?

Could you please clarify your questions?

Probably this not the best name for this field. According to IPTC standard:

[2:118 Contact] - Identifies the person or organisation which can provide further background information on the objectdata.

Yes, but the person(s) in the picture can't necessary give background informations. Its a model, relative or whatever. The only contact person about the image would be the photographer, editorial department or agency. So having the photographed person as contact is pretty misleading. Isnt it?

I generally would prefer NOT having those information in the contact field and have this field handled as described in the standard you quoted.

I don't know why some vendors are not supported this. It solely depends from the their decision. But this field is described very well in the XMP specification.

Not your fault for sure. I just wondered that its so hardly supported...

Could you please clarify your questions?

I was thinking about making rather specialized metadata available to other applications. Maybe by (optionally) mapping it into the standard keyword fields?

The problem is what happens if i (for whatever reason) need to read this info by other tools. Either because Daminion is out of business and I need to switch to a new DAM (what hopefully will never happen) or whatever else reason could come to mind.

Yes, but the person(s) in the picture can't necessary give background informations. Its a model, relative or whatever. The only contact person about the image would be the photographer, editorial department or agency. So having the photographed person as contact is pretty misleading. Isnt it?

I generally would prefer NOT having those information in the contact field and have this field handled as described in the standard you quoted.

Hmm... Make sense. The only meta data field for storing People will be XMP:PersonInImage.

We'll remove the contact from the People mapping. Thanks :victory:

The problem is what happens if i (for whatever reason) need to read this info by other tools. Either because Daminion is out of business and I need to switch to a new DAM (what hopefully will never happen) or whatever else reason could come to mind.

The only rule we can follow here are the official specifications like XMP, MWG...

So if you would like to map the People to keywords to provide a compatibility with some third-party tools one of the ways is to manage people as sub-values in the Keyword tag. But I guess it's not a good idea.

Even if the Daminion will be out of business all your people information will be stored in the XMP:PersonInImage and modern applications should be able to read it. If no, do you really need to rely to such application? :wink:

We'll remove the contact from the People mapping. Thanks :victory:

Great! :pleasantry:

Maybe it would even be good to move "Contact" into a descrete value. For agencies and such its probably rather usefull...

So if you would like to map the People to keywords to provide a compatibility with some third-party tools one of the ways is to manage people as sub-values in the Keyword tag. But I guess it's not a good idea.

No, I guess what I was thinking about is something like a batch-tool where I can say "append all values from contacts to keywords" or "delete all values in country" - just map virtually any field to another.

If no, do you really need to rely to such application? :wink:

You have a point there! I guess I am just scared to loose all of the work I put into tagging my images ;)

Maybe it would even be good to move "Contact" into a descrete value. For agencies and such its probably rather usefull...

Once we'll add Tag Qualifiers for Tags it might be implemented.

Using Tag Qualifiers you can describe your tag values, for ex: People contact details, Project details, etc...