How to easily delete a tag from multiple images?

franky68

I accidently assigned a tag to multiple images. Since there is no "undo" I need to remove the tag manually. How can I do this efficently?

When selecting a single image i can use the (x) next to the tag in the properties window. But when I select multiple images unfortunately the tags are not displayed so there is no (x) either...

I would suggest to display tags also for group selections. If a tag is assigned to *all* images it should be displayed normal. If its only in cirtain images it should be displayed in a lighter color or italics.

Now I could remove tags from selections in a very simple way. Also if a tag is only assigned to a subset I could quickly assign it to the whole selection by clicking the light/italic tag.

Hmm.... now I got the tags for selections just like I suggested.

Either you're *really* quick or I didn't look properly and it was there all the time ;)

I found three problems however:

1. Sometimes there is no information displayed at all and the properties window just tells me "No images selected". There are images selected and I've been waiting for quite some time too. So its not just because Daminion is still busy calculating the values.

2. When selecting more than one image the "general" and "image" sections grow shorter so the tags in the "description" section are way up the screen and not in the position I am used to look for them. On one hand its good to free up unused screen estate on the other hand this behavior is pretty confusing.

3. Deleting with the (x) does not always work. I have 3 tags: One is present in all images and two only randomly in the selected images. Now I select a couple of images and try to delete the first tag that is in *every* image. The entry does vanish like expected. The other two tags are light grey. Everything seems fine. But now if i selected the same images again the previously deleted tag is back again. This happened repeadedly in the "People" section.

Franky68,

Item 1: I sometimes have that problem as well, but for me, it usually seems to be associated with some type of computer activity. Either Daminion is busy with a large set of tag assignments, or my computer is running some sort of background disk process. This is sometimes a scheduled backup, sometimes updating of my computer search database, and sometimes Windows housekeeping.

Item 2: I don't know if this works for you, but collapsing the General and Image windows may help keep the rest of it more stable, but then you have to go and reopen them when you want them. The only ways I can think of that would stop this behaviour would be:

A) Fro Daminion to leave the General and Image windows open all the time, or

B) Modify the operator interface so that you would drag the individual window boundaries to where you want them, and then Scroll each of the re-sized windows independently.

Item 3: Works the same way for me. When the Red X comes on, even on a light grey tag, I would expect Daminion to delete the tag where it exists. The simple fix is to prevent the X from lighting up if it is not going to do anything. The better fix imho would be to have it delete the tag where it exists in the selected files.

A possible work-around for your initial problem of deleting tags from multiple files:

A) Use the Catalog tags window or advanced search to select all the files having the tag you assigned in error.

B)Narrow the filter as much as possible.

C) Then, on the thumbnails window, select all the files where you want to delete the tag.

D) Right click on the tag in the Properties window and "Remove (tag) from selected files"

Peter

Hello Peter,

thanks for your response!

1. Most of the time I am running Daminion on my laptop while my images and catalog are stored on a shared drive on my desktop. While I am pretty sure my laptop is (mostly) idle of course I don't know in detail whats going on on the desktop hosting the files. So this could indeed be the cause of the problem. This is the standalone so I shouldnt blame it for nasty network behaviour. I guess Ill just wait for the release of the server and see if the problem still persists before I complain ;)

2. Yes, youre right and your workarounds will work of course. Most other DAMs ive been using had the "description" on a separate tab so collapsing other windows wasnt necessary. But on the other hand you had to switch tabs which basicly comes down to the same plus with different tabs it is not possible to have two of them visisble at the same time. So I guess one has to get used to the Daminion approach first but after all its the better way to display this information.

3. I (yet) was only tagging persons. Inside the "people" tag I do not find a "Remove (person) from selected images". But I will try once I get to the actual tags. However *if* a (x) is displayed I would expect it to have exactly this functionality. So it should either be fixed, implemented or the red cross should be removed. They way it currently is is pretty confusing ;)

Update: Oh, you were probably talking about the "Catalog tags" window. Yes, that seems to work. Thank you!

...however I still feel behaviour of the properties window should be changed.

Update 2: Another problem is that when there are more than 1000 images the thumbnail screen is split into several pages. Now selecting all images (STRG-A) only selects the current screen. So if I apply or remove a tag from the selection only a part of them is modified.

Admitted: This won't happen to often but still can cause confusion and result in wrong tags if the user is not aware and does not double check.