Thoughts about shortcuts

Cactus

Hello.

All written below is my opinion, not an axiom.

Daminion is a tool for manage photo. Managing in most is:

1) adding photos (with setting tags) to catalog;

2) searching photos in catalog;

3) looking photos.

Two first actions concerned with keyboard typing - pressing keys without modifiers. Thus If program has simple shortcuts, without modifiers, then you can often get such situations (example):

1. Forgot to press Ctrl+D (or Ctrl was pressed not enough strong).

2. Started typing someones name.

Result: some commands triggered by shorcuts. You noticed that something happens, something appears and hides quick as flash. You understand situation, but what actions was triggered? You remember your typing (in hope that there was no typing error), but can you remember all shortcuts? Which key pressings trigger commands and which not? How to turn them back if you are not remember all shortcuts? To press keys second time? But it is correct not always. For example: F to flag photo but U to unflag.

Thus after some using Daminion I noticed a set of marked photos, colored, named, etc. That was mistakes. And probably there may be some other such mistakes that I didn't notice yet.

And my conclusion is all shortcuts must be with modifiers. I understand that some of shortcuts are old and habitual to part of Daminion users. And changes will be meet with some complains. But I think that change in early will be softer than later.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Your idea makes sense, but we need to collect some extra feedback from others before changing this behavior.

The feature to undo the last tag assignment exists in our feature list.

As I understood, this mainly related to the Flag tag with F, U, X hot keys?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Your idea makes sense, but we need to collect some extra feedback from others before changing this behavior.

The feature to under the last tag assignment exists in our feature list.

As I understood, this mainly related to the Flag tag with F, U, X hot keys?

I notice that hot keys and T. But problem could be with all hot key without modifiers. Once I type one name to set person to photo, in another time I type another name - all keys may be pressed to type name. But if I miss to make command (Ctrl+D as most often for me now), name typing will become setting tags, flags, marking... and only developers :) knows what it be more, which hot keys they made.

• 3 weeks later...