Export and import between other DAM

BeVegan

I have been evaluating the Daminion Server version for our organization. I really like Daminion so far with its filtering and search capabilities. Before I recommend the software, I would like to find out if Daminion can export its database and metadata to something that another DAM can import, especially the custom tags for each picture. Would the export be in the form of a csv file? How would other DAM recognize where custom fields would go?

What would be the advantage of a custom tag with hierarchy as opposed to inputting that information into categories? I think categories can be written to the file, if I am not mistaken.

I would appreciate any feedback before I recommend using Daminion and our organization start inputting tons of metadata in custom tags.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Daminion community and many thanks for your feedback!

Daminion can easily exchange information with other DAM system, and tags assigned to images in Daminion can be read by other modern DAM systems. This is a brief video explaining how Daminion and Lightroom can exchange metadata with each other:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izor_6GaQ9k

However custom tags are written in a way that other DAM systems can not understand them by default. But you have 3 workaround ways here:

- Write a script in your third-party DAM system that will extract Daminion's custom tags from the XMP

- Use Standard tags like Categories or Keywords that other system can understand

- Check out our REST API

- Wait until we'll release the "Export to CSV" feature. I guess we'll add it into our roadmap for 1.1 or 1.2 versions.

What would be the advantage of a custom tag with hierarchy as opposed to inputting that information into categories? I think categories can be written to the file, if I am not mistaken.

The major benefit of using Categories is compatibility with other applications and services that will see your Categories without extra efforts from your side (and any other standard tags)