Version 0.8.6

franky68

Hello Murat and team,

first of all: Cudos to the new version! :)

There are two new features I really love:

1. Tag/Reject images

2. Compare up to 8 images

Those are really great additions I've been hoping for and which I am sure will help to make Daminion even better!

As said, I am pretty happy with them but a boy always can dream so I may make a few minor suggestions:

1. It would be great to have shortcuts for Tag/Reject (maybe + and - ?)

2. If an image thats on the lighttable (compare) is rejected it should be removed from the table to free up space. Also there should be an option to remove images from the view without rejecting them.

3. It would be great if it was possible to choose "compare" even with more than 8 selected images. In this case only the first 8 would be displayed but if one of the displayed images is removed from the view the next (9'th) would be added.

Also its great that we now are able to pause the sync-process. However I have also one suggestion regarding this feature:

4. Please give us an option to really disable syncing (preferences?). Right now we can only stop the sync after it already started. I much rather have it not starting at all until I tell Daminion to sync.

And a few early observations I made with this version:

5. Import of lens-info still does not work with Nikon NEF files (they all have been imported right from the camera without being touched by CNX/VNX)

6. If I select more than one image all properties are hidden. I would prefer those properties to be shown that are identical for all selected images (eg. rating)

I am a bit occupied with work at the moment so I did not yet have time to check the other changes / old bugs but I will as soon as I get a chance to.

Btw. I dont seem to notice any increased speed with NEF display?

Kind regards

Frank

Franky, thanks a lot for the feedback!

1. It would be great to have shortcuts for Tag/Reject (maybe + and - ?)

We can set one of the following hot key schemes:

+ Flag 
- Reject
The you press the key on the second time the Unflagged state will be set

v - flagged
c - clear state (unflagged)
x - rejected

v - flagged
x - rejected
The you press the key on the second time the Unflagged state will be set

Any thoughts which one is better?

2. If an image thats on the lighttable (compare) is rejected it should be removed from the table to free up space. Also there should be an option to remove images from the view without rejecting them.

3. It would be great if it was possible to choose "compare" even with more than 8 selected images. In this case only the first 8 would be displayed but if one of the displayed images is

removed from the view the next (9'th) would be added.

Added to the feature list.

Also its great that we now are able to pause the sync-process. However I have also one suggestion regarding this feature:

4. Please give us an option to really disable syncing (preferences?). Right now we can only stop the sync after it already started. I much rather have it not starting at all until I tell Daminion to sync.

I guess you meant Do Not Start the syncing process After the program Restart (if it was paused on the previous program session)?

5. Import of lens-info still does not work with Nikon NEF files (they all have been imported right from the camera without being touched by CNX/VNX)

We still construct the lens info according to the exposure info for the modern Nikon cameras where the encryption algorithm is used.

6. If I select more than one image all properties are hidden. I would prefer those properties to be shown that are identical for all selected images (eg. rating)

Daminion only shows the combined Tags that are displayed on the Catalog Tags tree (Keywords or Categories) and ignore others like Title or Description.

Btw. I dont seem to notice any increased speed with NEF display?

I've download to test 6 large NEF files (4320x2868) from Photographyblog.com.

Below are the test results of continuous loading/preview of the images on our test PC (very slow configuration):

Daminion 0.8.5.370:

Files are stored locally: 46 s

Files are stored on a remote computer: 50 s

Daminion 0.8.6.405:

Files are stored locally: 23s

Files are stored on a remote computer: 26s

Franky, thanks a lot for the feedback!

Thanks a lot for listening! :)

We can set one of the following hot key schemes:

Any thoughts which one is better?

Personally I would prefer +/- since they are easy to access on the number pad. When its set to cursor movement this allows very fast navigation and tagging. On the other hand are there any keys for this defined in Lightroom? It might makes point to follow?

I guess you meant Do Not Start the syncing process After the program Restart (if it was paused on the previous program session)?

I know the preferences are not yet implemented but I would prefer a setting there like "automatically sync metadata" or the opposite "do not automatically sync metadata". This along with a dedicated menu-option "Sync now".

This way I could decide if I want to sync at all or rather leave my images untouched. And in case I want to sync I can tag along without having to wait for the syncing and only start the whole process once I am finished. This also would reduce the number write accesses.

We still construct the lens info according to the exposure info for the modern Nikon cameras where the encryption algorithm is used.

I know you never claimed this fixed. I just wanted to let you know its not ;)

Daminion only shows the combined Tags that are displayed on the Catalog Tags tree (Keywords or Categories) and ignore others like Title or Description.

Great! :)

I've download to test 6 large NEF files (4320x2868) from Photographyblog.com.

Below are the test results of continuous loading/preview of the images on our test PC (very slow configuration):

Whow, thats pretty impressive. I didnt notice any change on my computer. But then again it never took more than maybe 4-5 seconds to display a NEF. Otherwise I already had dumped Daminion as I am way too impatient to wait 46 or even 23 seconds ;)

Maybe it would be a good idea to preload the sequentially next file in fullpage view to further increment the speed? You are caching images that already have been displayed thats great but only affects images that already have been shown while its more likely that the next one is beeing shown next.

However - great work on this release! <imagine a thumbs-up smiley here>