User access level

stevehughes

I cant find any info that spells out exactly what each of the four access levels allows.

It's clear that admin and editor can add files, delete files, assign etc. And guest and viewer cannot.

But there must be more than that which is not immediately obvious. Where can I find this ?

Id also like to ask about future plans to further refine the permissions system. For example, having taken considerable time to setup this system I, as server admin, want to make sure that anyone adding files does so in a controlled way. I want all files to live in the library location I have established, and I want to control the folder and file naming conventions. So I'd like to force users to 'upload to server', and fix the renaming rules.

I'd also like to determine who can assign tags. Not everyone who adds files to the system should be able to play with the filing hierarchy we have established.

Control freak ? you bet ! To me that's the job of a server admin :-) Otherwise what I have whipped into a nice neat structured system will over time degenerate back to the chaos it started out as.

• Upvote 2

I cant find any info that spells out exactly what each of the four access levels allows.

It's clear that admin and editor can add files, delete files, assign etc. And guest and viewer cannot.

But there must be more than that which is not immediately obvious. Where can I find this ?

We've put a link into the User Management window to the page with explanation of User role differences:

https://www.daminion.net/feature-tour/daminion-server/control-access-to-your-content

Right now the Admin user acts as an Editor, and we reserved it for future usage when it will be possible to edit Daminion Server settings without from Daminion Client without logging into the server PC.

Guest role acts as a Viewer. But once we'll add the watermarking feature for Export option it will be possible to restrict image viewing by medium res image versions with watermarks for Guest users (optionally).

Id also like to ask about future plans to further refine the permissions system. For example, having taken considerable time to setup this system I, as server admin, want to make sure that anyone adding files does so in a controlled way. I want all files to live in the library location I have established, and I want to control the folder and file naming conventions. So I'd like to force users to 'upload to server', and fix the renaming rules.

Control freak ? you bet ! To me that's the job of a server admin :-) Otherwise what I have whipped into a nice neat structured system will over time degenerate back to the chaos it started out as.

We'll discuss about this with our team on the upcoming Morning.

I'd also like to determine who can assign tags. Not everyone who adds files to the system should be able to play with the filing hierarchy we have established.

We plan to add an extra role: Importer. A role that allows someone to import and view the content but not edit them. Like extended Viewer role. But there is a possible conflict: Daminion automatically extract tags from image metadata into the database, so even if you'll disallow to assign tags but allow to import files, your tags structure might be expanded after each newly imported file.

Thanks for putting some thought into this Murat. My thoughts back at ya ...

- The automatic extraction of tags from images during import should be optional. I'd choose YES if I was importing my own photos back into a new catalog, but I would choose NO if I was importing photos collected from other sources. Tagging schemes tend to be individual in nature.

- The Importer role sounds perfect. I'd be happy if an Importer could do the following:

-- Import images with admin options to allow only the 'upload to server' option and to force a folder and filename structure on the import. This ensures that the images will go where I want and be named the way I want.

-- Assign these newly imported photos to existing tags, but but be able to change already assigned images (probably not an easy thing to implement) and not be able to change the tag hierarchy. In Windows filesystem terms we are talking about allow them to 'write' and 'read' tags but not 'delete' or 'change'.

- Perhaps it would be handy to be able to track which user imported the files.

Regards,

Steve

- The automatic extraction of tags from images during import should be optional. I'd choose YES if I was importing my own photos back into a new catalog, but I would choose NO if I was importing photos collected from other sources. Tagging schemes tend to be individual in nature.

Switching off the tag importing might lead to the metadata conflict when the existing metadata will be rewritten by new tags. However this is a good subject for future discussions. Need to collect some feedback.

- The Importer role sounds perfect. I'd be happy if an Importer could do the following:

-- Import images with admin options to allow only the 'upload to server' option and to force a folder and filename structure on the import. This ensures that the images will go where I want and be named the way I want.

-- Assign these newly imported photos to existing tags, but but be able to change already assigned images (probably not an easy thing to implement) and not be able to change the tag hierarchy. In Windows filesystem terms we are talking about allow them to 'write' and 'read' tags but not 'delete' or 'change'.

Added to the feature list. The first 2 points can be implemented soon.

- Perhaps it would be handy to be able to track which user imported the files.

You can track it by the special tag right now: System > Imported By