Sidecar file cleanup

bdillahu

Looking for a little advice on the best (safest) way to handle this...

I've recently migrated to Daminion (love it so far!), from a couple of other different products (IDimager, Digikam, etc.) for a variety of reasons.

Spent a while cleaning up a lot of old metadata and have things at least decently tagged, lots of duplicate tags removed, etc.

At least sometimes in the past, I've had XMP sidecars as the enabled option for all files in my other tools, so instead of writing to the image files themselves, tags were written to the XMP file. Daminion seemed to read this stuff ok, and it has (as I understand it) written the cleaned tags back to the images. How do I know which XMP files I can remove? I don't want to just blow them away since I have a mixture of file types and I understand some files (videos) don't support internal tagging, so...

Help?

Thanks,

Bruce

You could use some ExifTool capabilities here.

But may be the best way will be to write tags into your RAW files again, and then remove XMP files for Camera RAW images (or even better to backup them to a temporary location for some time).

Adobe XMPToolKit that we use not completely support writing XMP into Video Files, and I'd remove .xml sidecars for Camera RAW images only.

You could use some ExifTool capabilities here.

But may be the best way will be to write tags into your RAW files again, and then remove XMP files for Camera RAW images (or even better to backup them to a temporary location for some time).

Adobe XMPToolKit that we use not completely support writing XMP into Video Files, and I'd remove .xml sidecars for Camera RAW images only.

Thanks... Looks like JPG is covered too, at least from my testing, so kept Video xmp (with a backup of the originals).

Appreciate the answers!

Bruce