Rating not showing for NEF files

bdewey

I have just downloaded and installed the Server and Client, which went very well. I download and tag my files from Photo Mechanic, which is very fast and gives me a nice hierarchical keyword structure. I have files that have a rating of 5, the rating is seen by Windows Explorer, Lightroom and Photoshop, but does not show up in Daminion. What is interesting is that TIF files developed within Lightroom do show the rating. When I look at a NEF via Kuso Exif Viewer i see the Rating set at 5. Doing a Show All Metadata from the Actions in the Item menu also shows Rating 5 in the XMP section. But the Rating does not show for these files in the Description panel. Have I done something incorrect during the import process? Is there a reason why the Rating would not show for the RAW NEF files?

I am attaching 4 PNG files showing the issue.

Thanks,

post-1629-0-02391700-1368510272_thumb.png

post-1629-0-05271600-1368510286_thumb.png

post-1629-0-21120300-1368510294_thumb.png

post-1629-0-64305000-1368510306_thumb.png

Does this file has an .xmp sidecar in the same directory with the same basename?

If not, could you please send me this file via wetransfer.com?

No .xmp sidecars, the Rating is in the file itself. Would you like me to send both the .NEF as well as one of the .TIFF files where the rating shows up? I can do this tonight when I get home, about 6-7 hours from now.

I can also have Photo Mechanic save an .xmp sidecar and see if that makes a difference, would that help also?

Thanks,

Adobe XMPToolKit SDK is unable to get XMP from RAW files, so we use some sort of the brute-force scanning to locate the XMP block inside the files. The NEF file you send me contains 2 xmp blocks, and the last one is actual. Of course the offset for an actual xmp block is contained in the RAW header, but our image processing library is unable to process this now.

We can add some sort of analyzing of XMP blocks for this case, but anyway getting XMP using the brute-force scanning of 30MB file or using ExifTool will reflect on the import performance. Therefore I've sent a request to our image library developers to provide us with quick way of getting XMP block from the RAW files.

Adobe XMPToolKit SDK is unable to get XMP from RAW files, so we use some sort of the brute-force scanning to locate the XMP block inside the files. The NEF file you send me contains 2 xmp blocks, and the last one is actual. Of course the offset for actual file contains in the RAW header, but our image processing library is unable to process this.

We can add some sort of analyzing of XMP blocks for this case, but anyway getting XMP using the brute-force scanning of 30MB file or using ExifTool will reflect on the import performance. Therefore I've sent a request to our image library developers to provide us with quick way of getting XMP block from the RAW files.

Thanks, Murat.

I have seen reference before to the second XMP block. If I understand correctly then, it would appear that Photo Mechanic does not modify the first XMP block, but actually adds a second XMP block. This actually explains, then, why some other programs I have do not see the changes from Photo Mechanic as well.

Your server, though, will read an XMP file that is in the same directory as the NEF, correct? This is why when I have Photo Mechanic also create an XMP file the server then sees the rating. Perhaps that would be the best way for me to set up my workflow. If I lose the XMP file, the only thing I lose is the rating information, which I can easily recreate. This would, then, also explain why the rating shows up in TIFF and JPG files, as those must contain just one consolidated XMP block.

Makes perfect sense, thank you very much for checking. And if your developers can find a quick way, that would be even better.