Nikon NEF Format

franky68

We've added support for IPTC:Urgency, and to provide an affordable compliance with other systems the mapping will be "one-directional".

Color Label Tag Mapping:

Read:

XMP:Label

Write:

XMP:Label, IPTC:Urgency, XMP:Urgency.

There are some software products (including PicaJet) that use Urgency to store Rating. So we don't use it to loading the Color Label tag.

But to provide a compatibility with Nikon tools (Capture NX/View NX), Adobe Photoshop CSx and Adobe Bridge CSx) we set Urgency field during updating the metadata of the files.

So when I change the Color Label in Daminion the changes are immediately reflect in VNX/CNX. The reverse option will be implemented soon (in the manual mode).

Just outa curiosity: Why manual?

From what I noticed Daminion syncs its data immediately. So when Daminion detects a file whichs midification date is past the last update from Daminion it should be safe do automatically re-read the metadata and icon without loosing information.

...of course Daminion should wait with the re-reading until it has finished writing its own data ;)

Hello Murat,

a quick feedback on the current 0.8.4 version you released yesterday:

Generally the color tags now are working between Daminion and CNX. Unfortunately there are still a few problems:

- When I remove a color tag that was once set the urgency dont seem to be reset to 0

- Exiftool behaves even worse when there are problems. It renames the file to e.g. "DSC_9724.NEF_exiftool_tmp" and does not rename it back. Now because of that strange extension the file of course is not displayed anymore from any application but the windows explorer. After writing to a file there really should be a check if the expected filename still exists and try to take actions.

- The Camera lenses still give strange results with all sort of different names for the same lens. E.g. I have:

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6

70-300mm f/4.2-5.6

70-300mm F/4.2-5.6

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 D G VR

My Camera lens list has grown quite impressive by now. Maybe I should try to sell a few of the similars? ;)

- Version control seems working now but the counters for checked in/out aint updated when an image is checked out/in.

- Not a bug but I find the great new quickfilter unlogical. In all other windows clicking a new filter will dismiss the current and apply the selected one. To combine (and/or) it I need to press CTRL. Now used to this behaviour I select a result in the quickfilter, see its not what Im after and select another. Now (of course) I end up with no results because the filter were combined. Maybe doubleclick could instead clear, CTRL combines and SHIFT excludes? This would be more like we are used from the catalog tag.

- Folders in the quickfilter are not working properly. E.g. I have a folder from a shooting with my daugther "D:\Fotos\Öffentlich\2011\2011.05.15 Shooting Laetitia" which has 51 images. The number is displayed correctly in the catalog tags. Now when I use the quickfilter on "Laetitia" the folder is shown with stunning 678 images. This is the number of all (cataloged) images in "D:\Fotos\Öffentlich" instead. Those numbers are reported incorrectly for any folder I tested - I always get a count from a different folder and selecting the folder also selects the wrong results that match the number.

Kind regards

Frank

- When I remove a color tag that was once set the urgency dont seem to be reset to 0

It will be fixed. Thanks!

- Exiftool behaves even worse when there are problems. It renames the file to e.g. "DSC_9724.NEF_exiftool_tmp" and does not rename it back. Now because of that strange extension the file of course is not displayed anymore from any application but the windows explorer. After writing to a file there really should be a check if the expected filename still exists and try to take actions.

I found that a similar problem mentioned on some forums related to GeoSetter (thread #1, thread #2)

- The Camera lenses still give strange results with all sort of different names for the same lens. E.g. I have:

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6

70-300mm f/4.2-5.6

70-300mm F/4.2-5.6

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G

70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 D G VR

My Camera lens list has grown quite impressive by now. Maybe I should try to sell a few of the similars?

May be this issue left from the previous Daminion versions?

Could you please select(check with radiobutton) all the above lens, copy them to a new location. And then reimport them to any catalog. Does the problem still there?

Frank, it's better to split multiple questions to separate threads. In this case we could give answers more quickly and it's easy to follow to the questions & answers.

But anyway we glad to hear any feadback in any forms :)

- Not a bug but I find the great new quickfilter unlogical. In all other windows clicking a new filter will dismiss the current and apply the selected one. To combine (and/or) it I need to press CTRL. Now used to this behaviour I select a result in the quickfilter, see its not what Im after and select another. Now (of course) I end up with no results because the filter were combined. Maybe doubleclick could instead clear, CTRL combines and SHIFT excludes? This would be more like we are used from the catalog tag.

Sorry, I am not sure if I understood the problem. Could you please explain in detail. It will be better to create a new thread for this, to separate answers and to easily follow them.

Hello Murat,

May be this issue left from the previous Daminion versions?

I dont think so as I checked the freshly imported files. But I will verify this tomorrow when I am back at the other computer.

Frank, it's better to split multiple questions to separate threads. In this case we could give answers more quickly and it's easy to follow to the questions & answers.

Sorry, this started with things that were directly related to this thread and then I got carried away and posted also the other things. I promise to be better from now on ;)

Correct, I just imported a couple of images into a newly created empty catalog. They all have been taken with the same lens and I get the following lens enties:

18-70mm f3.5-4.5 (106)

18-70mm f3.5-4.5 D G (2)

The correct name would be "AF-S DX 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G IF-ED"

18-70mm f3.5-4.5 (106)

18-70mm f3.5-4.5 D G (2)

The correct name would be "AF-S DX 18-70mm F3.5-4.5G IF-ED"

Yes. As you see the above lenses titles were generated by Daminion based on some exif info. You can see the correct naes once Daminion will be able to parse the LensID from Nikon MakerNote. For some cameras it might be tricky because Nikon uses decryption for some newest cameras.

Yes. As you see the above lenses titles were generated by Daminion based on some exif info. You can see the correct naes once Daminion will be able to parse the LensID from Nikon MakerNote. For some cameras it might be tricky because Nikon uses decryption for some newest cameras.

Its a D300s so not really that brand new...

But it seems youre right. I just tried the same with images taken with my D70s which is even a few years older and the lens information was at least consistent (18-70 mm F3,5-F4,5). Ugly formatted but consitent...

Tho exiftool reports the correct lens as "Lens ID". Maybe its possible to fetch it from there?

Regarding exiftool and the links you quoted: I do not use Norton AV but Avira. However I will make sure that my drive with images is excluded from the scanner and report back.

Tho exiftool reports the correct lens as "Lens ID". Maybe its possible to fetch it from there?

It is possible, and we use it on the early Daminion versions. But using ExifTool to fetch the metadata from files will drastically reduce the import speed and it is crucial for us.