Migration from IDimager 5!

Tiberius

Hello Everybody!

I am trying to re-import my assets (ca. 250.000 images)to Daminion(Pc with w7/x64). After the import of a HD I get the Categories populated with shooting exif data.

Could you please be so kind and help me to get rid of them, just because I want to define my own categories following the labels structure from IDimager.

Thanks in advance!

Sincerely Yours - Tiberius

I am trying to re-import my assets (ca. 250.000 images)to Daminion(Pc with w7/x64). After the import of a HD I get the Categories populated with shooting exif data.

Could you please be so kind and help me to get rid of them, just because I want to define my own categories following the labels structure from IDimager.

A few sample images and screenshot might help to shed a light to the problem.

Daminion's categories are mapped into IPTC/EXIF/XMP metadata of images. Daminion had imported your IPTC Categories and XMP Categories from the images. Seems it was written by some software program (probably you know it).

I'd manually remove all the categories with technical data in the Tags treeto avoid accidental removal of some categories which might contain useful subject related data.

To see the metadata of a certain image:

- Select an image

- Right click and launch the "Actions > Show All Metadata" command

Dear Murat,

following your tip I deleted the technical data from categories and assigned new defined categories for a certain group of images; but "Show All Metadata" dont contains any "Categories" as such! I can see them in the "Proprieties" but how can I see them within the "Show All Metadata" screen?

Do you know a way of getting rid of this "technical categories" during the import phase?

Thanks for your support!

Sincerely - Tiberius

I sent you the file via google drive.

Thanks in advance Murat!

Good Morning Murat, finaly I found it out!!!

The data was introduced by Photo Mechanic during the ingest process where this technical data is as Supp Cat1 to 3.

IDimager 5 ignore it and Daminion dont make any difference between "Supp Cat" and "Category".

The other question is how can I track variants of the same image starting with the RAW-file check -out developing it in Phase One to tif, and two different jpg, have them imported after developing and beeing able to see them in the RAW- file "Item Audit History"? In IDimager5 all these files are monitored variants.

Please be so kind and give me a hint how to configure the configuration management system of the Daminion DB in order to achive this.

Sincerely - Tiberius

The data was introduced by Photo Mechanic during the ingest process where this technical data is as Supp Cat1 to 3.

IDimager 5 ignore it and Daminion dont make any difference between "Supp Cat" and "Category".

Seems it also writes camera information into the "XMP:Description" field. I don't know why it duplicates the EXIF info into XMP section. I guess you can switch this option option off.

The other question is how can I track variants of the same image starting with the RAW-file check -out developing it in Phase One to tif, and two different jpg, have them imported after developing and beeing able to see them in the RAW- file "Item Audit History"? In IDimager5 all these files are monitored variants.

Please be so kind and give me a hint how to configure the configuration management system of the Daminion DB in order to achive this.

Daminion has Version Control different than what you call monitored variants in IdImager. Our version control allows to keep track of the various editions of the single file.

An option to manage different versions of the same image is not available right now but it is existed in our feature list along with the Stacking items feature.

Seems it also writes camera information into the "XMP:Description" field. I don't know why it duplicates the EXIF info into XMP section. I guess you can switch this option option off.

Daminion has Version Control different than what you call monitored variants in IdImager. Our version control allows to keep track of the various editions of the single file.

An option to manage different versions of the same image is not available right now but it is existed in our feature list along with the Stacking items feature.

Thanks Murat!

I have a problem with this because in the "originals" raw folder on my HD you write an exact copy of the original file everytime I check it out (Variants folder) and so I will end up with a minimum of 2 to 3 original identical copies completly useless (same directory same files). What should be this good for?

On the other side I need to import again manualy every single developed file and to keep track of them by brain!

Do you have by accident a workaround for me?

Thanks in advance and have a nice evening! - Tiberius

I guess Daminion's version control (or as we say the Revision control) is not completely suite to work with Camera RAW formats, cause the last one cannot be changed. I recommend you to pass an editing RAW image to your RAW editor using the "Open With" command instead of the "Check Out and Edit With" option.

Daminion's Version Control works fine for files that can be changed: JPEGs, InDesign, MS Office documents, etc...

I guess Daminion's version control (or as we say the Revision control) is not completely suite to work with Camera RAW formats, cause the last one cannot be changed. I recommend you to pass an editing RAW image to your RAW editor using the "Open With" command instead of the "Check Out and Edit With" option.

Daminion's Version Control works fine for files that can be changed: JPEGs, InDesign, MS Office documents, etc...

Good Morning Murat!

Thanks once more and I hope you have good spring weather for the weekend in Stavropol too!

One more question about the workflow I have is if I can define a certain directory to be scanned for importing new files every 5 minutes or so? I want to use it for the drive where I store my derivatives (developed images).

Wishing you a nice weekend and all the best! - Tiberius

Thanks once more and I hope you have good spring weather for the weekend in Stavropol too!

Thank you. The weather was perfect. The snapshot of the today's morning in Stavropol :)

IMG-20130427-WA0003.jpg

One more question about the workflow I have is if I can define a certain directory to be scanned for importing new files every 5 minutes or so? I want to use it for the drive where I store my derivatives (developed images).

We'll add the "Watching folders" feature in the next build (RC2) that allows you to watch certain folders every X minutes. This feature will be available for shared catalogs only.